IGNORED

Cold Transmission/Clutch?

Guest steyr1488

Guest steyr1488

I have an 03 RSV. When the engine is cold, it feels like I am trying to start out in 2nd or 3rd gear. I have to rev it up pretty good to keep it from stalling out when I'm letting out the clutch. After it warms up, it seems to be fine. It got a lot worse after I changed the oil.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why it could be doing this?

:confused24:

So, it's only when it's Cold? Is this the first time you've used that oil? Are you measuring the oil with the bike straight up and down or on the side stand? It's not energy conserving oil is it (small circle on the back of the bottle lower right hand side should tell you)?

Guest steyr1488

Yup...only when it's cold. This is the first time using this oil. I am checking the oil with the bike vertical. It is not energy conserving oil.

Now that i think about it, it doesn't start out real smooth when it's warmed up either. It's not nearly as bad as when it's cold but it's not as easy to get moving as my previous rsmv or my 05 rstd. I'm not saying it's terrible when it's warm. It's just not the same. I'm starting to think that I should go to a lighter oil (10W40).

Thanks.

Mobile 1 - 15W50

I'm right at the full mark.

Not sure what that means. Are you saying its all the way up on the sight glass when the bike is in the up right position? How much oil are you actually putting in when you change it and the filter. If so, that sounds like its too much.

Most up us have found that 3 1/2 quarts with a filter is about right. More than that and it will work its way up the breather tube and into the airbox under the gas tank and drip out the 2 small vent tubes that hang near your side stand.

I'm no mechanic but I can't see where the slight difference in oil weight would cause what you are describing. I've been using 20w/50 Amsoil and just started using 20w/50 Mobil 1, both bike specific oils and mine has never felt any different cold or warm.

It's not your oil, but that is the only thing I can say for sure. Doesn't sound like clutch slipping, cause that should be worse hot than cold, and it wouldn't stall the engine. Maybe brakes dragging? How easy does it roll in neutral before you start it? Jack the rear tire off the ground and turn it by hand - does it turn freely? Good luck,

Goose

My heel keeps hitting the heel-shifter when I pick up from a stop, and I don't feel it hitting the peg, ..... My heel hits that shifter so often that I'm starting to look like a worse rider than I already am!

Pull that shifter off and cut off the heel shifter part! The PO did that to my bike. Nice clean cut. OR...if you're not riding much in the next few weeks, I'll trade you. Just send me yours and I'll send (paypal) you a deposit, once I get it I'll send you mine and you refund the deposit less shipping. :)

Pull that shifter off and cut off the heel shifter part! The PO did that to my bike. Nice clean cut. OR...if you're not riding much in the next few weeks, I'll trade you. Just send me yours and I'll send (paypal) you a deposit, once I get it I'll send you mine and you refund the deposit less shipping. :)

Appreciate the offer, but I will be riding. I actually like the heel shifter, I just can't get used to it because it's in the position where I always put my foot on the other bike. I've only got 10K miles under my belt on this one - I need to get used to it, maybe another 20-30K or so! :whistling:

Guest steyr1488

Boy do I feel stupid. :bang head: I double checked the oil level and it looked a little bit high on the glass. I drained out about 1/2 quart and the damn thing runs great.

Thanks for all the help folks.

A little high on oil should NOT cause the symptoms you described. In fact, it shouldn't have done anything except blow some oil our the vent tubes.

Glad it is all working again for you, but I'd be a little worried about not knowing what was really happening. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose