IGNORED

I don't know about not smoking

Freebird

Hope you're still hangin' in there Don. It get's easier every day. One day at a time. I used to be a very heavy smoker for 20 years while a sales rep. Quit cold turkey 20 years ago. Today I think back and am amazed that any one would even get near me. My clothes stunk, my car stunk, my office stunk. Now when I get downwind of a smoker I can't breathe. Nothing worse than a reformed smoker... :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, Don. I'm pulling for you. My mom has smoked for years, and I'm always trying to back her when she tries to quit. I'm not sure how many times, and ways, she's tried but nothing's worked yet. Then I know others, like you, who went cold turkey and came out just fine.

:fingers crossed:

:225:Keep it up Don. After reading all your mail I have been inspirerd to stop myself. Funny I spent 23yrs in the Army never smoked but a bad divorce and some bad fire calls got me going. I will strive to be smoke free when I meet you at MD.

Tom

Quitting was the hardest thing I ever done but I will never go down that road again. I quit cold turkey and after about 3 weeks it became easier to bear. It will especially be hard if your wife smokes. Now I can't stand the smell of them and was glad when Arkansas baned smoking in public places. You will not be sorry you quit but every time you kiss your wife you will taste cigarettes. Will she not quit with you? The one thing that helped me was on my daughter's 4 birthday I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. She looked at me and said "I want you to quit smoking daddy". That broke my heart and I threw my pack of cigs in the fireplace and never smoked another. My daughter is now 20 years old and she don't know the good she done her dad. One more thing, every time you smoke a cig, you have to start all over again. I hope this helps.

Way to go Don. A little set back is normal when trying to quit. I believe that the average person will make as many as 6 to 8 attempts at quiting before being fully successful. My heart is so glad to hear that you went right back at the non-smoking and didn't give up on it. You WILL kick this beast out of your life. I quit 2 years ago. The way I dealt with the urge was to acknowledge it and then tell myself that I would take care of it in 15 minutes. By the time the 15 minutes was up I would be busy doing something else and the urge was no longer there. It allowed me time to get away from the "I need a smoke trigger". Yeah it was tough at times but I learned that I only had to fight it for a few minutes and the craving would go away.

We are all pulling for you and we know that YOU CAN DO THIS :thumbsup:

Don, the chantix works...on my last pack of pills now. Can't say it is easy though. forgot how to take them and started taking two every morning, made me sick. then re-read instuctions.....EAT FIRST.....ok Then days later glanced at package. Not again, it has symbols for morning and evening. must have had my head up my back side.....now it has been.....9 days, no maybe 10, can't remember......nightmares, sell venture...o god no that has to be the meds talking.............Don I'm still here if you get the next urge and need to call or e-mail somebody...:225:

just stick with it. Although I wasn't a smoker, I used to "chew" . I did that for 18 years. All of the sudden one day I just decided that was enough. I tried to quit a few times over the years, but was never serious. Deep down inside if you want to quit, you will. Once I got over the hump it has been pretty easy. Everything is better, especially the food! Once i got over the hump with the chew, I decided what the heck, i'll quit drinkin too! Didn't know if I could pull that off! It's been 7 years and still goin strong. My point is, if you want to quit than you can. Talk is cheap! you can do anything you put your mind too! Keep it up it'll work, I'm proof of that.