IGNORED

VentureRider Classifieds

Cougar

I think that if a seller post an ad. it should go to the main menu (home)

like the rest of the post do. then it will fall off with in a day. right now

as it stands nobody has a clue if a member posts anything for sale or not.:confused24:

OR you have to say HEY *waving* I just posted a for sale item in the

VentureRider Classifieds .

Just a thought.

Jeff

(JUST LIKE THIS POST JUST JUMPED TO HOME)

Edited by Cougar

Not a bad idea ... also, while cruisin thru the 2nd gen accessories, I notice that ads go back as far as Oct 2006....?? one would think a time limit for an ad to appear should be in order coz by now, the person probably has sold it...unless it's a special item like the lift adapter that is "manufactured".

as it stands nobody has a clue of a member post anything for sale or not.:confused24:

Just a thought.

Jeff

Good though as I never look ther emyself and id hate to miss a good deal :thumbsup2:

I will take a look but it's just not that easy to do. I would think that if somebody was actually needing something, they would certainly look in the classifieds but I do understand what you are saying. In regards to "OLD" ads, the maximum time is 90 days. Then the seller gets an email letting him know that he needs to renew the ad if he still has the item for sale. If the ad is not renewed, it is automatically purged from the system. Now there was a time when you could select "Never Expire" and there may be a couple that are there from before the time I did away with that option.

I don't mind and I want things to work the way YOU folks expect them to. Sometimes I can do that though and sometimes I'm just not smart enough. :)

One thing that you CAN do...and I'll bet that MOST here don't know it. You can click on a category in the classifieds. "Second Generation Accessories" for example. Click on it after the page opens, scroll down to the bottom. On the left side is a link that says "Subscribe to Category". Click on that and you will get email notifications of any new ads posted in that category.

Ummm.. I have a person in this classified add wanting it and A Member here

that wants it. I have no clue who was in line. I also set it up in the selling

that they could click on PAYPAL.. I do not see any buttons in there to buy

the Item.. there also is no Time stamp on any message left. A Buyer here

and a buyer there. Well Folks I will be at work and back home around 3PM CT

I guess it is yours Craig.

I will PM you my Paypal Info.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

I have spoken to Don about the same thing. I have Baron's 4-2-4's and a full set of Mustangs seats - but I think few know about them. I would much rather see a memeber get them than put them on Ebay.

I suggested a separate forum like "For Sale/Wanted" with the purging set to say 30 days. If an item is not sold in 30 days it will automatically be removed and the seller will need to relist. I think peeps would check it out more often.

But Don - we willing submit to your Administration and respect all your hard work on the site.

Shep

as it stands nobody has a clue if a member posts anything for sale or not.:confused24:

Just a thought.

Jeff

Excellent Idea Shep, then it would all be in one place and post

to HOME as well. people would more likely browse there.

Another thing is that Don would not have to try and figure

out how to make the classifieds move to home as well

so all we need is another folder! - -- PERFECT---

Jeff

Guys...I know it SOUNDS like an excellent idea on the surface but there are a lot of negatives that I have to consider.

1. No email notifications that your ad is about expire with an option to renew it.

2. No way to automatically expire the ads after a set amount of time. I would have to do it manually and without any way of knowing what has sold and what hasn't. Tried the forum method when I started this and it was a mess. Nobody ever bothers to remove something after it is sold. If I do it then people want to know why their ad was deleted. One headache after another.

3. No way to sell via auction if you wish to. Not a big deal because not THAT many people use it but some do.

4. No way to keep new ads at the top because people feel that they have to "bump" their particular item every friggin day.

I could go on and on and I will listen to the pros and cons but I can tell you that it did NOT work out well.

#1. I would think that for most - if it hasn't sold in 30 days - they are probably going to move to Ebay.

#2. Every forum I have ever run has a "pruning" option. It can be set for 30-60 days and when the expiration date come - the post is gone. Since this would be "pre-determined" the reply could just be, "sorry but that forum is set for a 30 pruning - you will have to repost :>)"

#3. I hate auctions anyway. Only time I resort to one - is if I have no other options. Love the "Buy it now!"

#4. Don't know any way around that one :( - but hasn't bothered me on other forums.

Just some feedback... (If you really don't want the feedback just tell me and I will shut up :smile5:.

Shep

Guys...I know it SOUNDS like an excellent idea on the surface but there are a lot of negatives that I have to consider.

1. No email notifications that your ad is about expire with an option to renew it.

2. No way to automatically expire the ads after a set amount of time. I would have to do it manually and without any way of knowing what has sold and what hasn't. Tried the forum method when I started this and it was a mess. Nobody ever bothers to remove something after it is sold. If I do it then people want to know why their ad was deleted. One headache after another.

3. No way to sell via auction if you wish to. Not a big deal because not THAT many people use it but some do.

4. No way to keep new ads at the top because people feel that they have to "bump" their particular item every friggin day.

I could go on and on and I will listen to the pros and cons but I can tell you that it did NOT work out well.

I absolutely don't mind the feedback. Much of this site is the way it is due to member suggestions and feedback. Not everything is black and white however. I've inserted some remarks in your replies below.

#1. I would think that for most - if it hasn't sold in 30 days - they are probably going to move to Ebay.

Sometimes but not always. For example. We have a couple of members who sell their own items...such as lift adapters...Butler Seat Mod...etc.....that keep a running ad.

#2. Every forum I have ever run has a "pruning" option. It can be set for 30-60 days and when the expiration date come - the post is gone. Since this would be "pre-determined" the reply could just be, "sorry but that forum is set for a 30 pruning - you will have to repost :>)"

There is a pruning option but it is forum wide. I don't necessarily want every topic discussed pruned after 30 days...the only way to prune just ONE area is to do it manually.

#3. I hate auctions anyway. Only time I resort to one - is if I have no other options. Love the "Buy it now!"

I understand. But some folks actually DO like auctions. Also, they come in handy for such things are our St. Judes auctions.

#4. Don't know any way around that one :( - but hasn't bothered me on other forums.

Just some feedback... (If you really don't want the feedback just tell me and I will shut up :smile5:.

Shep

• 6 months later...

Don,

I recently posted a "Part Wanted" item in the classifieds, and a forum member came thru for me and we worked out a deal.

I would now like to be able to go back in to my original post and edit it at the bottom to maybe show that my request has been filled and that folks no longer need to contact me with offers.

The offers don't bother me, I'd simply like to save folks some time chasing me down for something that's no longer needed.

Is there some provision made for me to be able to do that? I saw no "EDIT" button in the classified section that would allow me to do it on my own.

Thanks!

I hardly ever read the classifieds. Once or twice a month...maybe, and I'm sure I've missed some stuff. However I do visit the board on a daily basis using the 'NewPosts' feature. Here's my 2cents. I'd just as soon see a forum for classifieds. New ad/postings/new threads would pop up every time I visit. On the ads I've posted, anytime a member responds I'd receive an email notification. Once I read an ad, and I'm not interested, it never comes up again unless someone posts to it. Any ad posted that doesn't sell will drift off into the sunset eventually. For those items that are on going with multiple amounts (manufactured) a sticky could be added by an administrator. If I want to go to a members bio I can click on his or her board name and actually go to their personal page instead of a dummy page. IMHO FWIW..... :)

Don,

I recently posted a "Part Wanted" item in the classifieds, and a forum member came thru for me and we worked out a deal.

I would now like to be able to go back in to my original post and edit it at the bottom to maybe show that my request has been filled and that folks no longer need to contact me with offers.

The offers don't bother me, I'd simply like to save folks some time chasing me down for something that's no longer needed.

Is there some provision made for me to be able to do that? I saw no "EDIT" button in the classified section that would allow me to do it on my own.

Thanks!

You can delete your ad or mark it sold. Marking is sold will let people that were interested know that it was indeed sold and then it will automatically delete in a couple of days. Go to your ad and then at the upper right will be a link that says "Product Options". That is where you do it.

I hardly ever read the classifieds. Once or twice a month...maybe, and I'm sure I've missed some stuff. However I do visit the board on a daily basis using the 'NewPosts' feature. Here's my 2cents. I'd just as soon see a forum for classifieds. New ad/postings/new threads would pop up every time I visit. On the ads I've posted, anytime a member responds I'd receive an email notification. Once I read an ad, and I'm not interested, it never comes up again unless someone posts to it. Any ad posted that doesn't sell will drift off into the sunset eventually. For those items that are on going with multiple amounts (manufactured) a sticky could be added by an administrator. If I want to go to a members bio I can click on his or her board name and actually go to their personal page instead of a dummy page. IMHO FWIW..... :)

I understand but please see this thread for the downside.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=301844&postcount=12]VentureRider.Org - View Single Post - VentureRider Classifieds[/ame]