IGNORED

buckeye stator install

in a few days i plan to start installing the buckeye stator...in the install info in this site, and from buckeye, it says that the 3 wire connector cannot handle the heat...so you must solder the wires together..my question is, is it the connector material itself that can't handle the load. or the actual wiring ( or pins ) that can't

i would like to remove the wires from the connector ( not cut ), discard the connector and replug the wires to each other....shrink wrap each individual wire and then shrink wrap all three as a bundle together........................or.....go down to radio shack, purchase their connector, redo the wires with their pins and use that connector.....their connector and pins are bigger than the pins used in yamaha connectors

my question is, is it the connector material itself that can't handle the load. or the actual wiring ( or pins ) that can't

the pins...or so I'M told. I'll be soldering them together.

The Problem which occurs from this Connection are not the Load itseld, but the Resistance which builds up after some Time. With heavy Load, every Milliohm of Resistance makes a very good Heating Element.

The Pins itself could handle the Load fine, if you can definitely ensure they will not expose any Resistance later down the Road. With this Sort of Connectors, you can't expect that, therefore solder them togehter, isolate them good and be a happy Camper for many Years.

Soldering will remove the possibility of the connection breaking down over time. I had a 750 Shadow that caught fire from the stator plug connection while I was riding. The connector plug actually melted and caught fire.

Luckily I was able to put it out without too much damage. I soldered the wires and they barely even got warm afterwards.

Definitely solder the connections, along with heat shrink tubing. I doubled the tubing on each individual wire then used one large shrink tube to cover the whole thing. Make sure the solder flows throughout the splice.

One nice thing about the Buckeye stator is that the wire is almost a foot longer. Run it along the stock location to where the plastic connector would be. Assuming you have the battery and battery box removed, loosen up and set aside the ignitor box, which will give you better access underneath. You can then re-route the new cable under and alongside the battery box and come out on top of the left side of the battery, where you can solder the connection while standing. Makes it much easier on the back.

Its heavy wire, so strip back 2 inch of insulation. Twist together, useing Western Union Splice, then Solder the new connection,

Use ROSIN CORE SOLDER !!!

Then Apply, at least, A Double layer of HEAT SHRINK TUBEING !!!

Do Google Search, """ Western Union Splice """ if you don't know what it is.

DO NOT !!!!! JUST TWIST THE WIRES TOGETHER AND APPLY BLACK TAPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

I was just going to ask the proper way to do this, but what is a Western Union Splice? just twisting them?

I think a Western Union Splice is where you wire me a substantial amount of money and then we split the profits...............:whistling::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Western Union Splice:

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14027/img/14027_122_2.jpg

Western Union Splice The Western Union splice (fig. 5-30) is used when the connection must be strong enough to support long lengths of heavy, wire. In the past. this splice was used to repair telegraph wires. If the splice is to be taped, care should be taken to eliminate any sharp edges from the wire ends.

Is the stator from Buckeye the same for the First Gens. and Second Gens? What is Rick Charging for the High Output Stator, and can this information be sent with a Western Union Splice?:sign just kidding:

Earl

Nope, they're NOT the same. 2Gen is different and won't interchange.

I doubt this Information will get through a Western Union Wire Splice, because Western Union used solid Core Wire for making the Connection. This won't work as good on a Bike. The Wires on the Bike are not solid, there's another Way to maintain a good Connection, i've seen the Description here before, but i don't recall the Name nor the Poster.

thanks for the responses........

george s...no way would i just wrap and heat shrink....although i'm no professional..i always try to do things the proper way..and as professional as i can,

thats why i was trying to keep , or find a way to still use the original pins and/or connector......or a heavier duty pins/connector

how bout this....using die-electric grease in the original plug....to help with the heat build up.....(i said "load" in a previous post, but i mean heat)

my reasons in trying to keep a stock look is for warranty issues, if they ever came up........lets say i have an engine prob. and upon inspection ,they discover an aftermarket stator.......yamaha could say...although you and i no there is no connection....they will not honor the warranty....it's possible

my bike is an 07

I always bring up the point of " soldering " Whenever makeing a Wire Splice on any motorcycle, or even an Automobile ( Especially Adding Trailer lighting ) components.

Why?

There are still folks out there, useing the old time honered, method of just Twisting the Wires Together, and applying Black Tape !!!

I understand, we can't all be electricians---

Trust me !!! Solder any connections you make on your motorcycle, God will smile on your efforts !!!

Keep the following items On Hand, if you are going to work on your bikes wireing system.

1. a good soldering Iron.

2. Rosin Core Solder.

3. Heat Shrink Tubeing, insulation.

4. Wire Strippers, ( ie. a good quality one )

5. Yes, and Black Tape, It has its uses, After Heat Shrink tubeing.

6. A good supply of Nylon Tye-Raps ( various sizes 's )

7. And, spend $50 buck or more on a good Digital Volt/Ohm Meter !!

( and read the instructions that come with it, )

8. PRINT OUT THE SCHEMATICs, FOR YOUR MOTORCYCLE,

9. If you don't know what you are doing with electricity, Find some help !!!

And remember, this basic Tennent !! A High Resistance Contact, ( ie. Splice ) Is A Heating Element--- And that is NOT Good !!!