IGNORED

valve cover pan

hairman

I have a 1999 RSV. I got a new valve cover gasket today, and I took the old one off. There was silicone every where. I was wondering if the valve cover pan was on the wrong way. There is an arrow in the pan that was pointing toward the back tire. I am wondering if it is suppose to point that way or does it really matter? Thanks hairman

I have a 1999 RSV. I got a new valve cover gasket today, and I took the old one off. There was silicone every where. I was wondering if the valve cover pan was on the wrong way. There is an arrow in the pan that was pointing toward the back tire. I am wondering if it is suppose to point that way or does it really matter? Thanks hairman

The Arrow is pointing towards Exhaust, that's right.

Silicone is mostly used as a Glue, to keep the Gasket in Place during install of the Cover. You might clean the old Silicone off the Cover and take use of another Portion of Silicone. You will need to cover all twelve Corners and the round Parts in the Middle neae the Cam Chains. Let the Silicone cure over night with the Gasket se in the Cover and try your Luck the next Day. Or you can try to mount the Cover without usind any "Glue". You will need another Pair of Hands, a flashlight and a fairly long small Screwdriver or a thick Wire to wiggle the Gasket in Place. You will need any Patience you find inside yourself and eventually extend your active Vocabulary while doing so, but it can be done. Best of Luck !

Or you can try to mount the Cover without usind any "Glue". You will need another Pair of Hands, a flashlight and a fairly long small Screwdriver or a thick Wire to wiggle the Gasket in Place.

A nice sticky grease, also works well, for holding the gasket in place & no worry about silicone inside the engine. I have been using this trick for years.......

:thumbsup2:

A nice sticky grease, also works well, for holding the gasket in place & no worry about silicone inside the engine. I have been using this trick for years.......

:thumbsup2:

Sure, but depending on what Kind of Grease you use, the Rubber probably won't like the Grease.

Regular old cheap bearing grease is safe for all rubber,fiber or whatever gaskets. Silicone and graphite based grease can cause some problems sometimes. Any time you need to hold something in place (part position or screw/bolt to the driver tool good old bearing grease does the job great. It is sticky,cheap and any extra does no harm; well not too much in the cooling system. Rod

Areosal can of Trim adhesive works AWESOME to hold a gasket in place for assemble. Spray on both surfaces.. let set for a cpl minutes and stick together. Dries in a few minutes.

Install the part... The most amazing thing is the glue disappears after the engine gets hot a few times and the gaskets is easy to remove when you take apart next time. Best thing I've found in 25 years of turning wrenches.

Try it... you'll like it. :cool10: