IGNORED

Just a tip for upcoming summer riding.

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I had a very scary incident happen a few years ago. I live in the north central plains of Texas. 110 degree days are common in summer. A friend of mine and myself drove to Ft. Worth one day and was driving home. It was easily a 105 degree day. Coming out of Ft. Worth was stop & go traffic. With all the cars piled up and the heat of the pavement, and the heat coming up off the bike, no telling how hot it was. Maybe 120-130. When we were able to get up to speed I suddenly felt very cool and comfortable. I remember seeing white squiggly lines in front of me. The next thing I remember is my friend pulling up next to me at what he said was 90-100 mph and screaming for me to pull over. He later said I was weaving everywhere. I pulled it over and he ran up just in time to help me put the stand down and help me off the bike. I was falling over when he caught me. He helped me over to some shade. Luckily we were right next to a hamburger place and he got me one large water after another. I was weak and numb feeling all the way home. Since that day, I'll either leave the bike in on 100+ days or I will be very cautious and hydrated. Trust me, it can happen when you don't even know it's happening till it's to late.

Thanks for helping us feel a little warmer up here in these single digit temps today. But it's still a good tip. Most people don't drink enough water to stay properly hydrated for general good health, even if it's not as hot as that outside.

Here's a good article for making your own evaporative cooling vest.

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/coolties.html

Another helpful tip especially aimed at those in the colder climes:

Being off the scoot for as little as 4 weeks relates to unused muscles that you need to keep in shape for riding. Exercising 3-4 times a week will keep you in shape and prevent a lot of sprained muscles and cramps once the riding season opens.

My personal program includes sit-ups,jumping jacks,treadmill running,and dead weight lifting. My 2 sons work out with me and we all manage to do a good job of staying in shape over the Winter months.

Boomer......running and panting towards Spring.

Hey, we can only dream about 100 degree days up here, only 0d this morning!

Dan

Dan, both times we have ridden up to your town we made sure we stopped every 1-2 hrs. At 60-85 mph your sweat evaporates and you don't know how much fluid your are losing (even in the midwest). Every stop the two of us shared at least one 16 oz bottle. The first time we made the trip we got sick late in the day the first day not knowing we were dehydrated...summer riding always drink lots of fluids.

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN
Hey, we can only dream about 100 degree days up here, only 0d this morning!

Dan

I hate to rub it in but it's suppose to be up to 80 tomorrow. The low tonight is suppose to be 50ish.

When riding in hot weather, it's more important to sip fluids during the ride than stopping every hour and a half and guzzle a Desanti. If it's 105+ and you're not feeling the heat while riding, your wicking moisture out of your body like crazy. In an hour and a half you can become very dehydrated. :scorched:

Agreed on the sipping. I took a 3 1/2 week cycle/camping trip to the Southwest several years before I moved to Phoenix and rode with a Camelback like the hikers used. I filled it up with ICE at 7/11 or gas stops, then water and filled it everytime we stopped. Since I have moved to Phoenix I hear a lot of dehydration stories. If you are thristy you are already way too dehydrated.

Clear and copious!!!!!!!!! a good indication IF you are drinking enough water is the color and quantity of your urine.

HOWEVER this is from Wikipedia:

The color and volume of urine can be reliable indicators of hydration level. Clear and copious urine is generally a sign of adequate hydration, dark urine is a sign of dehydration. The exception is when alcohol, caffeine, or other diuretics are consumed, in which case urine can be clear and copious and the person still be dehydrated.

Clear and copious!!!!!!!!! a good indication IF you are drinking enough water is the color and quantity of your urine.

I think doing a self-urine check when you are on the side of the road could lead to more adventure than one bargained for............:yikes:

Boomer....who sticks to the woods and bathrooms.:p

As a soccer referee, there was no way to keep hydrated during a weekend tournament in Houston. Even if you drank during each stoppage, your stomach would be full before your kidneys could process the fluids. Many people are nearly dehydrated at any given time, because we simply don't drink enough. Trying to catch up when you are sweating off fluids is a losing battle.

The secret to staying safe is prehydration.

In short, you begin to tank up days before you think you will need the fluids. Make sure every cell is wet to near over-flowing. That way, you already have a leg up on hydration before you start.

If you are planning a long ride on Saturday, begin drinking more than usual on Thursday. That way, come Saturday, you are starting with a full tank rather than running on reserve all day.

Just back from Cabo. My very stubborn wife would not listen to me when I tried to tell her walking around in that heat in the hottest part of the day with no hat was not a good idea. On the third day she got heat exhaustion. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness. It is not just riding but even when you stop and just walk around you can become dehydrated.

Definitely start hydrating a day or two ahead.

Try to cool your body when you can. I have a foam liner in my helmet. I soak it at every stop. Amazing how much heat can be pulled from your body through your head. Really feels good. I also start the trip with several frozen bottles of water in a soft sided cooler. To thaw it out, I place it inside the front of my mesh jacket. Removes some body heat while thawing and once thawed, I drink it.

Once in a while I find myself in a rest area where they are watering the grass. I've been known to sit under the sprinkler and get soaked head to toe. Lowers my body temp quite a bit and the first few miles on the bike really feel good!

• 7 months later...

Mike your advice and everybody else's, back in 2007, was excellent and I remember reading it and using several of the tips to stay cool riding here in Texas. However fast forward to July 25th 2009 and we leave Weatherford for Palm springs, CA on the RSV on I-20/I-10. I prehydrated for about three days before we left, used a camel back extensively, poured lots of water on ourselves as the temps were in the lower 100's across Texas and NM. We got to Phoenix and it was 115 deg and the same out to CA, so we kept sipping water constantly all the way to Palm Springs. Had a great visit, about two weeks and then headed home. I checked the weather and saw the temps on the northern route (I40) were in the mid to low 90's so we came home that way. Due to having fun, etc. I didn't prehydrate and the cooler temps lulled me into not drinking as much water as I needed. To make a long story a little shorter, I made it to Albuqurque before I collapsed.. Made it to a motel and had to call a friend to bring his trailer and bring us home. When I went to the ER a couple days later they gave me two IV bags of fluids before I felt better.. So I learned a very important lesson or two. 1. If its a planned trip, prehydrate and keep hydrated at all times in the warm/hot weather. If you start feeling thirsty while riding stop and get some fluids in you. 2. Review your skills and limitations now and then to refresh yourself..