IGNORED

Posting of new threads in the proper section of the forum

KiteSquid

I was wondering what the rules/etiquette of posting new threads in proper sections.

It seams like every day I read topics for technical assistance in the Watering Hole section...which to me is the wrong place.... I just dont want to make an error and post in the wrong area.

Here is a list of the forum sections:

General Discussion

Watering Hole

VentureRider Merchandise

Videos

VR Polls

Tech Talk

GPS, Audio, Electronics

Safety and Education

Poor Man Tips and Fixes

General Tech Talk

Second Generation Venture Tech Talk

Technical Library - Read Only

Second Gen and Royal Star Technical Library

General Tech Library

VentureRider Parts Exchange

Member Recommendations

Riding Gear

Bike Accessories

Motorcycle Experiences

Lessons Learned

Embarrassing Moments

Rides and Rallies

VentureRider International Rally

VentureRider Regional Rallies

Meet-n-Eats

Other Clubs Events

VentureRider Vendors

VentureRider Gold Star Vendors

VentureRider Silver Star Vendors

Vendors who offer us Discounts.

VentureRider Website Discussion

Requests for Features

2009 International Rally Planning Committee

Cody '09

I think a lot of folks post in the Watering Hole because most people check that site out whenever they get on here. You don't have to worry about most of us, it's those "moderators" that make us toe the line... Right Squidley??

I do not believe there is too many rules other than staying away politics, religion, and remembering it is a Family site.

I think some will post a technical question in the watering hole just so that it will be seen as this section is the most active. Having said that it is possible that it can get pushed to the next page real quick with all the new posts in that section.

Other people just may not know about or realize where they posted it.

My :2cents: opinion, it really does not matter that much but there are sections for specific types of posts. These sections make it easier for others to find a similar issue they may have. But then you can always use the search function to find a post with a similar issue.

Brad

My interests MOSTLY rest in technical issues for the 2nd gen RSV, so in my profile I can turn off the sections I don't want to read, like 1st gen tech talk, but I would like to turn off Watering Hole as most posts don't interest me as they are off the topic of the RSV, BUT most technical posts end up there, so I would miss a lot of GREAT information......

I would like to see the forum run smoother, and to me that would be picking the proper place to put new posts.

Oh well..... I guess I have to wade through the river to find the gold nuggets...

When I arrive at the forum I click the NEW POSTS button and see ALL the posts to the forum EXCEPT for those in sections I have turned off in my profile, like rides in other areas, not that I don't like those areas that I dont live in, but I will probably never ride my motorcycle there..... I would like to visit, but it would involve kites, and I cant carry many kites on a motorcycle as most pack down to a fabric tube that is three inches around and 65 inches long.... and I bring over 20 of them on a trip, this does not count MrsSquid's ground display and line, anchors, or the big kites..... so I would have to take my Van up, just to carry the stuff.............

I think that the forum is set up GREAT, but a lot of posts start in sections that I dont think they belong.

I hope this makes sense...

My interests MOSTLY rest in technical issues for the 2nd gen RSV, so in my profile I can turn off the sections I don't want to read, like 1st gen tech talk, but I would like to turn off Watering Hole as most posts don't interest me as they are off the topic of the RSV, BUT most technical posts end up there, so I would miss a lot of GREAT information......

I would like to see the forum run smoother, and to me that would be picking the proper place to put new posts.

Oh well..... I guess I have to wade through the river to find the gold nuggets...

When I arrive at the forum I click the NEW POSTS button and see ALL the posts to the forum EXCEPT for those in sections I have turned off in my profile, like rides in other areas, not that I don't like those areas that I dont live in, but I will probably never ride my motorcycle there..... I would like to visit, but it would involve kites, and I cant carry many kites on a motorcycle as most pack down to a fabric tube that is three inches around and 65 inches long.... and I bring over 20 of them on a trip, this does not count MrsSquid's ground display and line, anchors, or the big kites..... so I would have to take my Van up, just to carry the stuff.............

I think that the forum is set up GREAT, but a lot of posts start in sections that I dont think they belong.

I hope this makes sense...

It makes perfect sense and that usually the job of the moderators. If a post doesn't fit in the proper area - they move it to the right place. IF that is not done - over a period of months and/or years - it becomes impossible to find anything.

Shep

You are right, a lot of things get posted in the wrong areas. We have been pretty lax on enforcing it as nobody has complained and as long as folks are happy, it's not a huge deal to me. I do think that tech questions should be posted in the tech sections as it makes them easier to find later and also, as BradT says, posting them in the watering hole gets them moved down very quickly.

So, I am going to may this an official public plea to the moderators to help me move posts to the correct area if they are posted in the wrong place. I will also ask that members start paying more attention to where they post also.

I think a lot of folks post in the Watering Hole because most people check that site out whenever they get on here. You don't have to worry about most of us, it's those "moderators" that make us toe the line... Right Squidley??

There is truth in that Jim

:)

I know that I will move posts if someone mistakenly puts it in the wrong area. Most of the time it is a new member not familiar with the forum. I will say though that Don adds things to the site that even I'm not aware of. I have to be diligent to search around the site from time to time and see what the Boss has added :whistling:

I've complained about this very thing the odd time, especially about putting videos in the video section. And when I have, I get people yelling back at me about how they're going to post things wherever they feel like it and if I don't like it then I have a problem. It just doesn't do any good to complain. I sure would like to see this enforced a little more strongly though.

Let me interject here again, this site is what it is because we really dont have a lot of rules here. It's pretty easy going and laid back, thats why it stays pretty civil here. If anyone is annoyed by things that might not be posted in exactly the right forum perhaps there is something a bit more bothering you than a misplaced thread. We will continue to move threads that are just in the wrong area, but please dont get up in arms about it. Some new members are a bit shy to start posting to begin with and if someone is knee deep in their rears about posting in a wrong area it might very well just shut them off.

Lets try to help folks along with this and it will all smooth out, PMS season is in full force, and like many of you other northeners I AM cranky too!

Gee, and one of the things that I liked about this site over the "Other" site was that if you don't post in the right forum it ain't no big deal...

I do agree with your observation, a lot of threads aren't quite in the right forums, but so what??

I guess I have to wade through the river to find the gold nuggets...

Meaning that I don't want to read about a lot of things that the automatic filtering system that is part of this forum, would not display to me, but sense it all ends up in the Watering Hole, I have ignore 15 topics for every one that I want to read.

I guess I am just being selfish trying to get the system to work the way it is supposed to.

Let me interject here again, this site is what it is because we really dont have a lot of rules here. It's pretty easy going and laid back, thats why it stays pretty civil here.

This is one of my favorite forums. I did leave one due to a lot of bickering... I agree that this is a GREAT place to relax and share info about the finest motorcycles on earth.

If anyone is annoyed by things that might not be posted in exactly the right forum perhaps there is something a bit more bothering you than a misplaced thread.

I will try to get my lithium dose upped. ;)

I guess it is my years of US Naval service coming out.... put the right thing in the right place, in size order, alphabetized and triplicate..... sorry if I offended anyone.

We will continue to move threads that are just in the wrong area, but please dont get up in arms about it.

Thanks. It too will overlook a lot of threads that by their title don't have anything that I am interested in, but it does take more time to scan the titles...

Some new members are a bit shy to start posting to begin with and if someone is knee deep in their rears about posting in a wrong area it might very well just shut them off. Lets try to help folks along with this and it will all smooth out, PMS season is in full force, and like many of you other northeners I AM cranky too!

I agree that EVERONE that owns a Venture or Tour Deluxe should post here and share what they have learned aobut their bike, how to ride better, improvements/customizations, and the fine people they meet while out riding!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE folks....don't get all bent out of shape over this. We are not going to start fussing at people if they post in the wrong area. We are just going to try a bit harder to keep things organized and are simply asking you to please help. Nothing more than that.