IGNORED

Myrtle Beach 2009

1rooster

This just solidifies my decision to say @#^@#%@%$& Myrtle Beach. I had heard this was coming and knew that they had become motorcycle UNfriendly the last several years, but this really takes the cake. I will not return to Myrtle Beach for the non existent bike week nor any other activity. I will gladly take my money and spend it elsewhere.

Thanks for the link, I will be passing it on the Blue Knights and as many other groups as I can to spread the word that we need to take our money elswhere.

I'm sure there are many small seaboard communities that would love to have the $$$$ spent by bikers....and if not then organizers need to look to private property owners to host the biker events.:happy34:

With the economy in the toilet bikers will be the only ones with $$$ to spend....and to Myrtle Beach I gladly say "Adios Idiots!"

There are two sides to every story and in my opinion, bikers done this to themselves. The Harley groups come in there with their straight pipes and racket and the other group is a whole set of other problems. I would say that in general, the Harley group brings a lot of money into the area, but I have heard stories about many businesses closing down for the week for the other group. This is due to people not paying for restaurant bills and a lot of other things.

RandyA

THOSE RULES were passed NOT because of white riders??---------U figure it out!:cool10::cool10::sun1::sun1: gonna b 57 in New Smyrna beach today-----------AND these folks complain--gr8 weather:sun1::usa::usa:--------------oh P.S.------that will not stop the majority of riders,from going to Myrtle-----------the merchants NEED those:mo money::mo money: that us'ens: spend-:sign isnt that spec:clap2:

Handle it Politically-

I'm sure this Mayor is just trying to be some big shot (like in Rambo), and he knows that about 80% of all motorcycles have been modified with louder pipes. I'm sure he believes, that motorcyclist in general are all a bunch of broke loosers or trouble makers, and this new Bi-Law will keep us out.

All Motorcycle group Presidents should write this Mayor a letter expressing the dissatisfaction they have on his new Bi-law, and how many Millions of Dollars we as Motorcyclist bring into communitys like his, especially during a bike week.

If that don't work, get a article on Front Page of Local newspaper (or CNN if needed) stating how this Mayor does not approve of the Millions of Dollars that Motorcycle Revenue brings in. And how this adverse effect in Loss of Revenue, will cause the Community Residents to Pay a Increase in Tax Dollars, due to the Mayors decisions he has souly made for the Local Residents and Businesses of Myrtle Beach. I am sure that will go over well with all the residents and businesses. Let see how popular he will be.

Just a thought, Later-

There are two sides to every story and in my opinion, bikers done this to themselves. The Harley groups come in there with their straight pipes and racket and the other group is a whole set of other problems. I would say that in general, the Harley group brings a lot of money into the area, but I have heard stories about many businesses closing down for the week for the other group. This is due to people not paying for restaurant bills and a lot of other things.

RandyA

I have been going for several years and spending the week there and while there are those with the "LOUD" pipes they mostly ran during the hours where the noise ordnance was not in effect. On top of that they stayed out of residential neighborhoods and didn't rev their engines after the NO went into effect. In fact the past several years they were a much better crowd than those from 5 or 6 years ago.

Every restaurant manager I spoke to said they "LOVE" the Harley BW it was Atlantic Bike Week that 70% of the city closed it's doors because those guys were the ones not paying for meals, doing burnouts, drag racing down the streets, and pretty much breaking every law in MB.

Now MB COC couldn't single out "ONE" event because that would be "Politically Incorrect" so they shut it all down. Little do they realize that there are a whole lot of bikers who owned or owned time shares in MB. They will take their business elsewhere.

The vast majority of problems came from the 2nd bike week (even a couple of murders this year), not the 'Harley week'. Were there problems during the 1st bike week?.............of course there were, anytime you get a couple of hundred thousand people together there are going to be some problems, but from my experience most everyone was on 'good' behavior and the problems were minimal.

What this really boils down to is MB's lack of political courage to deal with the real issue which is the 2nd bike week. In our social and political climate they would be tagged racists and the sad thing is too many would buy into that nonsense. The Mayor and City Council in MB will have problems once they fully realize the economic impact of canceling bike week.

The vast majority of problems came from the 2nd bike week (even a couple of murders this year), not the 'Harley week'. Were there problems during the 1st bike week?.............of course there were, anytime you get a couple of hundred thousand people together there are going to be some problems, but from my experience most everyone was on 'good' behavior and the problems were minimal.

What this really boils down to is MB's lack of political courage to deal with the real issue which is the 2nd bike week. In our social and political climate they would be tagged racists and the sad thing is too many would buy into that nonsense. The Mayor and City Council in MB will have problems once they fully realize the economic impact of canceling bike week.

You are right on target there. I talked to several cops there. It was the black bike week where they had so many problems, from torn up rooms, to crime, to loudness, to fights, not paying restaurant bills, and on and on and on. The town counsel had been talking about doing away with Black Bike week because of all the damage and problems but were threatend with law suits. Many shop and restaurant owners had decided that they would save money by shutting down that week and going on vacation. It had gotten that bad. The town decided to deal with it by these ordanaces. Check out pic's on the internet taken from Black Bike week. I'm not what I would call prejudiced, but I am against rude, bad behavior from anyone.

Steve

i lived at mb for several years and back in the early days the rally was held out side of mb at the race track between mb and conway. it later moved to murrel's inlet and that area. in the last 20 or so years did mb join in and had a lot of events for the rally. so most of the rally is held in horry county and about 10 cities. atlantic beach is a town just north of mb, where it has been for blacks to stay and enjoy the beach. it has always been a rough city to go into, as i use to clean several bussinesses in the area back in the 70's. i moved to conway in 1970, just after they had a riot in mb, when the blacks from atlantic beach, came up into mb to protest being kept out of the white people's beach.

the biggest complaint is with the crotch-rocket crowd, not the black riders. in that group there is mostly the younger people that rides them and they creat a bad name for bikes anywhere they gather, and here they are in a extra large crowd and just seems to get of of control too easly. mb needs to do like other big rally town and put in a lot more leo's to deal with the crowds and enforce the laws for all persons, not just bikers. i really never liked going to large bike rally because there's too much craziness going on at them. i went to sturgis, sd in 04, but i didn't spend about 5 hrs total in town, but did a lot of senic riding, which there's lots of to do.

Maybe a little off topic. Contrary to everyone's comments....we have planned a family vacation to MB in mid-March (during spring school break here)....it is somewhat of a winter get-away location for many Canadian families. Deposits on our accomodations have already been made months ago. Initially my brother (also a member here) and I had thought of trailering our bikes there to do some riding but are now looking at renting something for a day or two. Any recommendations for renting and for riding routes?? With the current attitude maybe rentals will be scarce?? I know the accomodations we have reserved don't allow bikes on their site (don't ask)....we will be in the North Myrtle beach area. If we would trailer as a last resort we could locate them at a 'store and lock' or maybe someone in close proximity could loan a corner of their driveway?? I would appreciate comments from anyone who lives in or is familiar with the area.

Couple of comments...The mayors is a first class jerk and most folks in and around the area know it and have commented on it from time to time. Canning the rallies was his brainstorm and at the time with all high emotions due to the activities and incidents associated with the "bikefest" (black bike week in case I have the name wrong) event, it was easy to convince the bobblehead city council members to go along. Of course once they got started, they didn't stop until 15 ordinances later. Yes there were some citizen complaints..yes there were some (limited) business complaints. (mayor got a lot of mileage out of the murders and the public sex and public drunkeness, defacating in public on the street/sidewalks and I believe I heard about drugs as well) The big problem that I heard privately was that it was primarily not the H-D rallies (though they had their share of issues), but there was NO way to ban one and not the other without creating an enormous cultural and legal problem, so both had to go! The alledged "extra cost" due to additional manpower requirements, etc. is a load; the city still made a substantial amount of money even after all those costs were factored in. The comment that the rallies kept visitors away is questionable as well, since most of the "family" visitors they want you to think were impacted, had their kids still in school during the time of rallies. He also is trying to convince readers of that letter that there is much wider sentiment against than there really is. He and the city council mistakenly thought that Horry County Council and other municipalities in the area would simply rubber-stamp MBs actions......They didn't and they aren't. They limited some permitting and such, but thats about it.

The sound ordinance is 89dB at 20" straight out the end of the pipe. My 4pipe RSTD with Cobra dragpipes (with baffles) pulled an 85 if that gives you a frame of reference. The helmet deal I believe is still being contested because the state doesn't require one for all over age 21. Still though, the ordinance stands unless and until it gets shot down by the state. Since the cops answer to the mayor and council, be assured the new ordinances will be enforced inside the city limits. And from what I can tell, they will rachet up enforcement of other existing laws as well (which is what they should have done in the first place to keep a lid on things).

A lot of what the mayor is saying on the city website link some one put up here is total BS and an attempt to make it look like the "public had spoken".......NOT! Though one thing he says IS true..by and large The majority of residents and businesses aren't anti-bike or biker. The mayor and city council and a percentage of residents and a few businesses, however are!

I've talked to a lot of guys about it including Harley guys and there is a contingent that says basically we're not setting boot nor tire inside city limits. There were guys delivering toys for the toys for tots drive and they stopped outside the city, transferred their collection to others to make the final delivery. It seems the majority, though say..."fine! the heck with Myrtle Beach proper, but we're still coming to the beach area whenever and on whatever we see fit to ride or drive! They're determined to do business with folks OUTSIDE of the city limits as a kind of "spit in yer eye" response. They are determined to go wherever they see fit as is their right. Then you have the last group which say the heck with the entire area if not the entire state. I don't agree with it, but I definitely understand it!!

AND, on top of it all.....There are a LOT of people in and around Myrtle Beach that have and ride motorcycles. I can virtually guarantee you that they won't be selling their bikes or riding "around" Myrtle Beach, just because the mayor and city council have a hair up the butt over motorcycles.

So, there's my nickel's worth.

• 1 month later...

I live here and agree that the mayor of MB is nuts. The mayor of N Myrtle Beach however welcomes all riders without the restrictions MB has placed. She says they have always enforced their rules and have no problems. The MB mayor is losing his mind...probably his job and his low tax status too. Serves him right!

POLEDAR....

Correct. THESE NEW ORDINANCES APPLY ONLY INSIDE THE MYRTLE BEACH CITY LIMITS, NOT TO NORTH MYRTLE OR HORRY COUNTY. Most MB activities were outside the MB City limits anyway, and the rest have simply moved outside the limits to North Myrtle or Murrells inlet.

Bubba is going as part of CMA. However, where Bubba stays in the state campground, the entrance is actually a few hundred yards inside the city limits. Therefore, Mamma's straight pipe Intruder will stay home (Hey, Bubba will be able to listen to tunes!).

Bikers should go and support the surrounding communties that want thier $$$. Check out the link from Blueslover above. The dealers and vendors are providing the info you need to avoid going into the city limits and spending any $$$ there. It is just a little farther from Murrells to North out around the city limits.

Bubba - not as funny as Boomer, but will have his fun at MB