IGNORED

Rectifier location?

Guest Swifty

Look behind the left passenger floorboard. It is mounted to the frame!! The bolts go through the frame from the outside into threaded holes on the rectifier. I think the floorboard may need to be removed. I can just see mine at the end of the lower black frame. Looky for the black finned thingy that is full of tar, mud and road grime.

JB

Can anybody post a picture or give me a thread link showing me where the rectifier is located on my 86VR?

:doh:

One that rectifies: a rectifier of many wrongs.

i am assuming...you mean a mechanic...:think:

well...friend...it all depends what part of your '86 the 'rectifier' is working on at any given time. he could be under it, or over it, on the left side,or the right side. On the other hand, he could be nowhere near the '86 if he decides to take a coffee break...

hope i have answered your question to your satisfaction...:Avatars_Gee_George:

Its a Single unit-- Inside is 2 Sections--- Rectifyer section, and the Regulator section.

It either works , or it don't work.

If you are haveing problems, the first thing to check is the TWO Plugs, one going " TO " the Unit. and the other comeing " From " the unit.

These two plugs are notorious for haveing Burnt Up Pins !!!! Find the Unit, and follow the TWO cables that go it. You will come to the Two Plugs, Open and Inspect them.

Let us know what you find. ???

Now Chabi-

You know he mis-spelled the object he is actually seeking. I believe

he is actually asking where the rectum-fryer is. Please recheck your

information and parts book for location.

JB

HUH, mispelled? This is taken from the parts page...

2WR-81960-A0-00RECTIFIER & REGULATOR ASS''Y

What did I misspell? Are you pulling my leg?

NOOOO foolin around boys, I'm a serious mechanic doing serious work here!!

:no-no-no:

Some days it's just a PITA to ask a question here. :rotf:

As they said.....behind the left floorboard and I might mention INSIDE the frame. Hard to see but the fun begins when you go to replace it with an aftermarket unit. LOL! Not the same shape, you need to fab a mounting plate, make sure it clears everything, etc, etc..

Same mounting holes can be used to mount the new plate with different bolts but it kind of tight.

The location I gave you is 100% correct. As stated, it is inboard of the frame. Many times, you can find the regulators on e-bay fairly cheap. Remove the seat, side cover, foot board mount and check the plugs. They are up near the seat edge. To remove the regulator, unplug and then fish the regulator out from under the frame. It comes out the bottom with the wires following it.

And trust me, it will be grime and gunk covered. The cooling fins point towards the rear tire. If you determine that the stator is good and the regulator is bad let me know. I have a known good regulator for a 1986 on my shelf. I bought a new unit at a great deal on E-bay. So I installed the new unit and then saved my old one. Plugs, wires, and connectors are A-1 yet.

And, I call them a rectum-fryer because they go bad and your butt is cooked!! Expensive and a pain in the behind.:missingtooth:

JB

When you find the two plugs, take close up photos with your digital Camera !!

Post the photos.

Zero in on the Burnt Pins !!! :witch_brew: :stirthepot: :080402gudl_prv:

I see what you mean...other pics were too blurry to post.