IGNORED

Battery indicator question.....

I have a question in about the charge level of my battery.....is it normal for the battery charge indicator on the dash to go almost to the red zone when I hit the foot brake? The hand brake shows a minor pull on the battery, but when I hit the foot break, it is almost like there is a direct short some where. Is this normal or do I possibly have an issue? Thank you for any input you may have.

Clay

You would have to first of all check the output of your stator. There is often a problem at the white connector, 3 white wires coming from the stator, below the seat on the left hand side. I would take that apart first, check it, clean it, grease it with dielectric grease and put it back together. In the same area is anothe rconnector with 5 wires, different colors, I think there are 2 reds, that also tend to give problems. Take this one apart as well and do the same thing. If that don't fix your problem you may have a battery on it's last legs, that would also couse this issue.

Some one else will chime in with all the specs on how to test all this with a meter and the values needed. For now you have something to work on and should be done anyways.

See the Second page of the Main Detailed wireing diagram in Service Manual.

The Front Switch and Rear Switch wireing both end up at Point " L " and " M "

on the Maine Page of the diagram.

When either switch is in the " ON " position, the Same two bulbs are burning, so the Current Draw on the Circuit is the same. --- SO ---

From what you are saying, there is some problem in the Rear Brake Switch itself.

Or the wireing from the Switch to Point " L " or " M " on the Maine page of the diagram.

What you are describeing is deffinatly not normal.

Some --- of the 1st gen models ( XVZ1300DU---, DUC---, UC ---, U --- ) also have Ignition Noise Filters between the brake switches and Point " L " and " M "

The XVZ1300DS/ and XVZ1300DSC Models, do NOT have the Noise Filters Installed between the Brake Light Switches ( both of them ) and Point " L " and " M " on the main page of main detailed diagram.

My Service Manual, says ZVX 13 D (S-A) on the Front cover, I just looked thru the manual, and cannot find the Location of these TWO extra Noise filters. ( but schematic in the front Supplementary Section {for DU/ DUC/ and UC models. shows the filters } so determine which model you have )

So If your bike does have them installed, I cannot find the exact location, of the filters.

Follow the Wireing Harness from the Rear Switch. I would assume that they would be located somplace behind the Headlight Assembly, if they are installed.

------------------------

So whats my point to all of the Above ???

If ------- your bike has them installed, the the Noise Filter between the REAR Brake Switch and Point " L " and " M " --- MIGHT --- be bad, and causeing Excessive Current Draw.

Pure Speculation on my part, but I never meet an Electronic Component that I trusted-- they can all Fail.

Confused-- :bang head: I understand ;) Have a Beer and start over ---

Edited by GeorgeS