IGNORED

tinkering with my bike

ronhenry4

The LED's look very cool ... I'd like to see exactly where and how you hooked them up...would that be possible?

Im going to take my bike apart here soon for its winter cleaning if you like i could take some pics to help giveyou an idea but really the best way to do it is use a 9v battery and just place them where you think you would want them. but i will take some pics for ya

Ron

I was just given a set of blue pod lights and I found out that the cops in Florida frown on them, at least if you are using them while the bike is in motion. Seems there is also a Federal statue on them too which prevents the use of blue lights on anything other than a police vehicle. Talked to a few motor cops and they all told me the same. No wonder the store where my daughter bought them had a full rack of the blue lights but were out of the other colors.....

Attached, are some pics of my version of that project. Utah code states that blue lights are reserved exclusively for law enforcement vehicles which are in motion. Non law enforcement vehicles may have have blue lights on them (and turned-on), but not when the vehicle is in operation. So, when I park my ride and I want to show it off, I flip-on the blues.

It looks like you also figured out that the windshield act like fiber-optic when you light it up from the base inside the fairing. Pretty darn cool effect isn't it!

Now, I just wish that I was able to ride someplace and park besides in my garage. It's currently 23 degrees here in Orem, Utah and the roads are mostly snow-packed & slick. No riding for me until the roads are clear and dry. Temperatures are bound to be pretty steady for the next three and a half months. So, any rides I take will be pretty short probably. Even when fully dressed for Extreeme Clold Weather and with electric gear, there's only so much benefit to be gained when the temps. are weel below freezing.

Be Safe (and warm)

Pete.

Pete.

Attached, are some pics of my version of that project. Utah code states that blue lights are reserved exclusively for law enforcement vehicles which are in motion. Non law enforcement vehicles may have have blue lights on them (and turned-on), but not when the vehicle is in operation. So, when I park my ride and I want to show it off, I flip-on the blues.

It looks like you also figured out that the windshield act like fiber-optic when you light it up from the base inside the fairing. Pretty darn cool effect isn't it!

Now, I just wish that I was able to ride someplace and park besides in my garage. It's currently 23 degrees here in Orem, Utah and the roads are mostly snow-packed & slick. No riding for me until the roads are clear and dry. Temperatures are bound to be pretty steady for the next three and a half months. So, any rides I take will be pretty short probably. Even when fully dressed for Extreeme Clold Weather and with electric gear, there's only so much benefit to be gained when the temps. are weel below freezing.

Be Safe (and warm)

Pete.

Pete.

maybe the cops here dont know about it ?? i ride with them on here just not on the windshield.. someone also told me if i had some etching done on the windshield that the lights would pick it up and highlight it... cool thought for when your parked. suposed to be in the 40's here this week so i may get a few miles on. i hope it dries up a little and warms up so you can ride some.. stay warm and safe. Ron

ronhenry4

After my mishap my windshield was badly scratched so I started to play with it. A white led will make a blue halo around the whole windshield. Then I took my engraving tool and put my name on it, and it highlighed in blue also so I am going to try an acid etch,but I didn't find a design that I like . They are available in craft stores.

ronhenry4

After my mishap my windshield was badly scratched so I started to play with it. A white led will make a blue halo around the whole windshield. Then I took my engraving tool and put my name on it, and it highlighed in blue also so I am going to try an acid etch,but I didn't find a design that I like . They are available in craft stores.

can you send me a picture of the white light? so i can see how you did it

Actually, the idea to light-up the bike's windshield wasn't my idea in the first place. But, I was the first person I know to actually do it. Nothing stay's original for long I guess - especially when it's cool in the world of motorcycle hobbyists.

I picked-up my LED Strip Lights at an auto-parts store called Pep Boys here in Utah. The strip lights are actually pretty small but very bright, and come with an adhesive-backing. I installed my LED windshield lights by taping them (lights facing up), to the base of my windshield (inside the fairing). And, I flip-on all of the lights with a single toggle-switch.

The LED lights I used are sold in individual packages. The strip lights are sold in lengths of 6" and 10". I also used a couple of LED Pod Lights in both the front and the rear.

Pete.