IGNORED

Nuvi mounted on the windshield?

slick97spirit

I do not think it would harm the windshield.

The GPS unit does not weigh that much to cause an abundance of strain on the windshield...

However, I would be more concerned with sunlight (magnified heat) transmitting through the windshield to the glue that holds the GPS units backing plate to the windshield.

I would think the glue would become weak ("gooey") and give way causing the unit to easily fall off onto the gas tank or the highway...

If you drilled a couple small holes through the windshield and through the GPS mounting plate and bolted the backing plate to the windshield, then I would say you would be better off strength wise if you decide that is where you want to mount it.

I have a Garmin Nuvi with the windshield mount in my truck. Has anyone ever mounted this to the windshield of the RSV. It won't hurt the shield will it?

I tried my Nuvi 250w on my SRV Windshield but found it vibrated too much to keep the screan lined up in view.

Have a good one; Bigbob

Spend the little bit of extra cash and get a ram mount system. They are the best and most versitile in my opinion. Well worth the 40 or so bucks.

It wont sit right on the shield and like Bob says....falls off. A car or truck is much smoother than a bike and if it falls off on a car it doesnt go far....

That's not a bad idea. I leave the thing attached to my truck windshield 24/7 and have never had a problem with it turning loose. It mounts with a suction cup. I may give it a try with a couple of wire ties just to make sure if it falls off I don't lose it. Thanks

This may not be a good idea! I recent report on TV showed that GPS units are now the number 1 item stolen from parked cars. Also leaving the holder on the wind invites a break in even if you take the unit with you. Something to think about everyone.

Question? I just got a 256T for Xmas but it isn't waterproof. I thought that it should be waterproof? I was going to wait and get the 550 in the future. My daughter is taking it back. Is this that big a problem, should I tell my daughter to not return it? Thanks, Tom

Well Tom.....my supposed waterproof magellan crossover isnt waterproof at all. But it still works after the monsoons we drove through coming home from Ontario.

I use a sandwhich bag to cover my sat radio if it rains.....this should work for the gps as well. Put it on and have a hair elastic to close the bottom....normal rubber bands rot in the sun quickly so the hair band lasts longer.

Well Tom.....my supposed waterproof magellan crossover isnt waterproof at all. But it still works after the monsoons we drove through coming home from Ontario.

I use a sandwhich bag to cover my sat radio if it rains.....this should work for the gps as well. Put it on and have a hair elastic to close the bottom....normal rubber bands rot in the sun quickly so the hair band lasts longer.

Thanks Rick. I think I may wait for an actual waterproof model. My luck just ain't that good! Tom

No prob Tom.....if you can do without the 550 gadgets the 450 is getting fairly cheap and has all the same things except bluetooth etc. Its waterproof and made for bikes.

I would get one now if I didnt have the cross-over. The problem with mine is I think the water came in at the power hook ups.

Spend the little bit of extra cash and get a ram mount system. They are the best and most versitile in my opinion. Well worth the 40 or so bucks.

It wont sit right on the shield and like Bob says....falls off. A car or truck is much smoother than a bike and if it falls off on a car it doesnt go far....

Rick,

Where can I order a 'Ram' mount for my Garmin 255W?

There are mounts for about $20 bucks, but if the RAM is a better product and will securely hug my GPS on the bike then that is the way to go.

This may not be a good idea! I recent report on TV showed that GPS units are now the number 1 item stolen from parked cars. Also leaving the holder on the wind invites a break in even if you take the unit with you. Something to think about everyone.

I agree with you. Some people take off their GPS from the holder in the car, but they usually put it in the glove compartment or under the driver seat. If your car is parked in a bad spot, it is easy target and one may end up with a broken glass window.