IGNORED

Ipod Shuffle.......

BoomerCPO

Bought one for less than $50 via Amazon.com

Bought the 1/8" double-male connector cord from Radio Shack for less than $4

Down loaded tunes I wanted from I Tunes....for $1 a song.

Set Audio System on bike to AUX. Clipped Ipod inside my jacket and plugged in connector from Ipod to the jack on the Cass Player.

Great tunes....Great sound.....and I control the Volume from my Audio handlebar unit too.

***Freebird told me about the Ipod set-up.....I took it a step further by going with the Ipod Shuffle which does not need a tank holder due to the neat pocket clip that comes on the unit.

Life is good............:D

thanks for the info. I bought an ipod shuffle for around the same price from Best Buy. Looks like I need to go buy a connector and then I can remove my cd player.

I know this is only 1gb and there are others out there that have more features and memory for the same price, but just don't know if I trust them enough and I haven't checked into whether they have those micro drives that are not good for using on the bikes like my older ipod.

Didn't know the cassette player had a connector. Is it visible when you flip down the face plate or do you have to split the fairing to get to it?

they do make a 2gb in the shuffle that hold I think 500 songs. I have had two shuffles so far and have a problem with remebering to take it off of my belt loop and they dont seem to work after the wash. I just bought a nice mp3 player that are cheaper but you cant down load itunes on them for some reason and have to use other down load soft wear.

Didn't know the cassette player had a connector. Is it visible when you flip down the face plate or do you have to split the fairing to get to it?

Yes the jack hole is visible on the front of the Cass player after you flip down the face plate. Look on the RIGHT side as you are looking at the Cass player.

I looked at that model once. It seemed rather featureless to me. Am I right, there's no way to pick what song you want to hear? I can't remember it all right now, but it seemed to me that to get one that I could actually do anything with, I had to go to the next model up and spend three times as much. At $1 a song, what happens when the thing breaks for whatever reason? Have you lost the songs for good and you have to buy them again?

Edited by pegscraper

I looked at that model once. It seemed rather featureless to me. Am I right, there's no way to pick what song you want to hear? I can't remember it all right now, but it seemed to me that to get one that I could actually do anything, I had to go to the next model up and spend three times as much. At $1 a song, what happens when the thing breaks for whatever reason? Have you lost the songs for good and you have to buy them again?

pegscraper......The Ipod Shuffle has nearly all the features as a full sized Ipod....except....there is NO screen & light. Because of that you get 20+ hours of run time with the Shuffle vice 4-5 hours with the regular Nano Ipod.

You can sign on to ITunes free of charge and maintain your own personal music library at their Site. The songs you purchase are in your library. You can listen to them anytime while on your computer,download them to any Ipod at any time ,and even download them to your own CD. Also you can download songs from your personal CD's to the Ipod as well.

The fee you pay for each song is by right a legal Royalty Fee which goes to the recording artist I think. Paying that fee gives you the right to listen to the song as many times as you wish and download the song into your personal devices.

Because I have my favorite tunes on the Shuffle it matters not to me what order they play in. I merely set the Shuffle to repeat play the entire playlist and away I go.

I see. So once you buy the song one time, you can download it any number of times to your own devices.

I suppose on a bike ride it doesn't matter much what song comes up next, and you wouldn't really want to be fiddling with it on the road anyway. Push play and let it go. I also suppose that on a bike, it doesn't really matter that much of the detail of the music is lost with this recording format. High fidelity these things are not. But on a bike with all the rest of the noise, it'll never be missed.

I just bought a nice mp3 player that are cheaper but you cant down load itunes on them for some reason and have to use other down load soft wear.

That's because while Ipods are compatible with both PCs and MACs, MP3 players are only compatible with PCs. So, hmmm, which one here is incompatible and less user friendly? Why, it's the PC, the pieces of junk. They love making you buy more software all the time, and making your current software obsolete. Buy MAC equipment and you won't run into that.

You don't have to buy songs. I've used my standard IPOD for several years and have over 100 complete CDs on it. I just copied my CDs to the Ipod. I've probably not bought over a half dozen songs from Itunes.

Don is correct. I went with ITunes because I do not own CD's and I rarely like all the songs one one CD so why buy the whole thing.

Pegscraper I don't like having to fiddle with anything when I am on the scoot. I turn on the tunes and hit the throttle. IMHO I have enough hazards to deal with on the road so why create one by having to fiddle with any device that would distract my attention from the serious issue of staying alive!:D

Ride on and Boogie...in any manner you choose.........Boomer:D

It does sound like the Shuffle model is a pretty nice way to go for a bike. Music storage doesn't get any more compact than that, and it doesn't really need to be.

One other difference I remember between the Shuffle and more expensive Ipod models is that other models can be used as a thumb drive on your computer, where the Shuffle cannot. That is the angle at which I was initially looking at them.

It does sound like the Shuffle model is a pretty nice way to go for a bike. Music storage doesn't get any more compact than that, and it doesn't really need to be.

I concur completely. If Yammi had done upgrades to our Ventures over the years we would not be having this discussion I suppose. LOL!

you don't have to go to ITunes and pay for songs.

there are sights like lime-wire and others that you can download songs all day long for free.

my wife has probably 600 songs on hers and we have not spent a dime on songs

just my :2cents:

George C.

It is my understanding that such Sites are illegal and participation of anyone in downloading music without paying royalty fees is illegal as well.

Not trying to persuade anyone from doing what they choose. :2cents:

Actually all the Ipods, at least my nano has shuffle on it. if I dontlike one song i can just hit forward to the next tune. some times its odd to go from Van Halen to Asleep at the wheel though to ill pic one genre rock blues ect. I just bough a new stereo for my boat today with a Ipod hook up :thumbsup2:

you don't have to go to ITunes and pay for songs.

there are sights like lime-wire and others that you can download songs all day long for free.

my wife has probably 600 songs on hers and we have not spent a dime on songs

just my :2cents:

George C.

As long as you give them your credit card info. (as part of the signing up process) you can get the free songs. I don't really agree w/ that so I refuse to sign up w/ Itunes.

I know you are referencing other sites, just giving my Itunes opinion.

Here is my experience with LimeWire...

Yes, it's free.

Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of songs there.

Yes, it's easy to download the software/songs.

About 1 out of every 5 songs that I downloaded sound like they were tape-dubbed off a crappy radio station. In a bathroom.

For $1 per song, I'll stick to iTunes, where the quality is always good.

I have an 8gb Ipod that I have got loaded with a bunch of music and other stuff as podcasts of stuff I like. I do not use itunes to put my music on my IPOD though as I find it too big and cumbersome, plus they want to charge me to download stuff.

I have about 30 gigs of assorted music at home some has been copied (backup copy)off my cd collection, some more songs are downloads, but floola finds it all, arranges it and synches my ipod to it and lets me select what i want to put on my ipod also and categorizes it.

Best of all its free download (but consider making a donation if you like it) http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=download_win theres also a mac version some on the darkside will like, lol! Another thing I like about Floola is that you can run copies on several different machines and your ipod will synch with them all, whereas my experience with itunes on multiple machines didnt work so well.

Its a great program that leaves a small footprint on your machine.

Brian

I personally use a 16gb Microsoft Zune (flash based). It is fairly small and compact (about the same size as a Ipod Nano) and can hold a crap load of music. I currently have 2430 songs on mine. As for the hardware itself, I tend to prefer it to the Ipod. More features (Wireless syncing, built in FM radio, games, video, pics, etc) and is highly supported by MS, believe it or not. As the firmwares are released, they apply to ALL hardware. I have purchased 3 Zunes...a 30gb (gen 1, hdd based), 8gb (gen 2, flash based), and my 16gb (also gen 2)...and gen 1 has roughly the same feature set as my gen 2s. This includes the addtitions of wireless syncing, games, etc...

The beautiful thing about the Zune (vs the Ipod and Itunes) is that you can get a "Zune Pass" which is essentially a $15/month subscription to a rather large chunk of their music archive. Basically, it is a all you can eat plan. As long as you keep the subscription, you get to play the music. As an added perk, I can run all three Zunes off a single plan...

However, as of late, they added a new "perk". Each month you can "purchase" 10 songs that are yours, subscription of not. So, to put that into perspective, you are kinda pre-paying for 10 songs and get the access to the rest for $5. Kind of a hard deal to pass up if you tend to purchase alot of songs.

As for running it on the bike, I split the Aux line in the fairing and ran a second line down the headset jack on the tank. I plug my Zune into it, set it off on a shuffled playlist, and chunk it into my tank bag...I gurantee you, I have never heard the same song twice on a ride...

just my :2cents:...