Did the first gens have different keys for the ignition than for the luggage and such?

My ignition switch was so hosed up that I bought a replacement from ebay dirt cheap, and I was going to change the tumblers out to use the same ignition key. To my dismay, the ignition key from the replacement switch is a different blank than the one on the bike. When I examined the one on the bike, the key that was supposedly for the ignition was not right either. The inside of the ignition switch had been worn out enough that it would turn if wiggled right.

This leads me to believe the key that came with the bike is not the right one.

If they originally had two keys, I am ok with that, but i am darn picky and would like them all keyed alike if that is how they rolled off the assembly line.

My 85 is all keyed the same, even the locks that allow me take the bags off the bike use the same key.

I just went down to my local locksmith and he cut spares for me for about 3 bucks each.

I hear that some guys with the same issue you have are getting the key cut for the ignition on one side of the key and the bags on the other, so all you gotta do is flip the key over.

Brian

I have a complete set of locks off 84 parts bike with good single key that fits everything for sale as a set. The set would include

1. Ignition Switch
  2. dash panel lock
  3. saddlebag attachment locks both sides
  4. saddlebag door locks both sides
  5. trunk attachment lock
  6. trunk lid lock
  7. one good factory original key that fits everything
  8. Plus two helmet locks

I will sell the entire set for $150.00 plus shipping

Edited by Dragonslayer

There are several different blanks used for the ignition and accessories. I've had three different '83's and none of the keys will even go into the other slot, and one key fits all in every year. The ignition key numbers are on the underside of the ignition housing. (see pics) I have a couple of keys for the original '83, as I had to change out the saddle bag mount locks, but the ignition key fits everything else. Not that big of a deal to have two keys, but to each his own. You might try contacting http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/ and see if you could send them your old... and new switch and see if the tumblers could be swapped out, and keep the old key configuration. It's a lot cheaper to get the ignition switch right than to swap out all the others.

Edited by Condor

I tried to swap tumblers, but the keys were made from two different blanks.

The old lock cylinder was "universalized" to the point that even a screwdriver wouldn't work any more.

I guess I can live with two keys. I need to be less finicky.

They are still trying to make me believe that perfectionism is a flaw.

My 83 VR is all keyed the same

Mine is not. The same key that start's the bike will open all bags and remove the trunk. but I have a completely different key to unlock to remove the side bags. It's a completely different key more like a padlock and nothing like the ignition key. They all have the same plastic head and YAMAHA markings. Only the ignition key has the Venture logo and part number.

Mine is not. The same key that start's the bike will open all bags and remove the trunk. but I have a completely different key to unlock to remove the side bags. It's a completely different key more like a padlock and nothing like the ignition key. They all have the same plastic head and YAMAHA markings. Only the ignition key has the Venture logo and part number.

HA!!! Same as my '83. I suspect the bags were replaced sometime in the past. Seems to be common on the older bikes....

HA!!! Same as my '83. I suspect the bags were replaced sometime in the past. Seems to be common on the older bikes....

I suspect that his locks to remove the side bags have been replaced, not necessarily the whole bags. This is because these bag locks don't seem to work very good. It has been a while since I have seen any of these locks that still work good. I have done everything I can to make mine work better and now when I take the side bags off, I take the screws out of the lock and remove the bags. It is much quicker.

RandyA

• 5 months later...

how to remove old ones with no key?

I have a complete set of locks off 84 parts bike with good single key that fits everything for sale as a set. The set would include

1. Ignition Switch
  2. dash panel lock
  3. saddlebag attachment locks both sides
  4. saddlebag door locks both sides
  5. trunk attachment lock
  6. trunk lid lock
  7. one good factory original key that fits everything
  8. Plus two helmet locks

I will sell the entire set for $150.00 plus shipping

I have 2 '84's. Both have all locks keyed alike so there is just one key to do all locks on each bike.

But the blank for the keys are NOT the same from bike to bike.

The key from one bike will not even slide into the locks on the other bike.

When looked at end on at the tip, the profile of one key is the mirror image of the other.

Seemed odd to me but one of my bikes is a US import and the other is bone-fide Canadian bike.

I don't know what any of this means but that's how it is.

Hope this helps,

Brian H.

My '84 had two different keys when I bought it. The original factory key opened everything except the helmet locks and the three locks to hold the tanks in place. The other key opened the helmet locks, the luggage latches and the ignition.

I had a locksmith make me two new keys from the code on the master and both the new keys work in everything.

Must have just been wear and tear on the keys.