IGNORED

Cool way to switch driving lights

Gearhead

Hi. I've seen alot of traffic here on how to wire driving lights. Using a relay is the ONLY way to go, but there's the decision of whether the relay should trigger off the HI beam or not. When I first installed them, I wanted them to get power only when the headlight is on, and thru a separate switch. Therefore, I can turn them on or off, but if I leave them on when starting the bike they go off during starting (with the headlight) to reduce battery draw. So that's what I did, and it works well.

However, the lights are blinding to oncoming traffic so if I'm on a country road and encountering frequent but not steady traffic, I'm constantly flipping both the HI/LO switch and the driving light switch (car coming, put headlight on LO and turn DL's off). That's why it's nice to have them on the HI beam circuit, but sometimes I like to have the LO beam on with the DL's (on my dirt road, for example). .

So I had an epiphany which allows me the best of both worlds. I replaced the DL switch with a double-throw type of the same size. Center position is OFF, fwd position is ON (still tied to HL circuit as before), and back position is tied to the HI beam circuit. This is all for triggering the relay; the main DL power still goes thru the relay.

It's pretty slick :-)

Jeremy

Hi. I've seen alot of traffic here on how to wire driving lights. Using a relay is the ONLY way to go, but there's the decision of whether the relay should trigger off the HI beam or not. When I first installed them, I wanted them to get power only when the headlight is on, and thru a separate switch. Therefore, I can turn them on or off, but if I leave them on when starting the bike they go off during starting (with the headlight) to reduce battery draw. So that's what I did, and it works well.

However, the lights are blinding to oncoming traffic so if I'm on a country road and encountering frequent but not steady traffic, I'm constantly flipping both the HI/LO switch and the driving light switch (car coming, put headlight on LO and turn DL's off). That's why it's nice to have them on the HI beam circuit, but sometimes I like to have the LO beam on with the DL's (on my dirt road, for example). .

So I had an epiphany which allows me the best of both worlds. I replaced the DL switch with a double-throw type of the same size. Center position is OFF, fwd position is ON (still tied to HL circuit as before), and back position is tied to the HI beam circuit. This is all for triggering the relay; the main DL power still goes thru the relay.

It's pretty slick :-)

Jeremy

We dont have any inspections in Illinois I wired mine to power on when I want them too either high or low beam.

That's a pretty neat idea you have there Jeremy. :thumbsup2: On my bike I used a reservoir switch box and simply toggle the lights on or off when I want. Normally they're off when starting or sitting idling but on at all times, day or night.

Thanks for sharing it as others may want this option.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

As I understand it, Federal Motorvehicle Safety Standards say that "Driving Lights" can only be on during high beam operation, while "Fog lamps" can only be on during low beam operation.

I would say you have "Dual purpose driving/fog lamps" :D

I do like your idea though. Pretty neat.:cool18:

I agree, a Relay has lots of good application for our Venture. My driving lights has an On/Off switch and is on all the time when on Lo and Hi beam. I also prefer to have my driving lights off because IMO it lengthens the life of the bulbs. How about a write-up with pics...this will definitely help a lot of members. :duck:

I too have my lights on a relay but I choose to switch them independently with a switch on the back of the faring.

My lights are set rather high so I usually toggle them on and off after dark so as to not blind oncoming traffic. Problem was I found myself fumbling for the switch.

What I did was tie my lights into the emergency switch on the right handle bar. No kill switch anymore but the switch for the running/passing lights is right at my finger tips.

Jerry