IGNORED

GPS stupid questions

kmurphympd

I'll start by saying that I know nothing about GPS other than what I read on this site. So, here goes. I noticed that several stores in my area have GPS units on sale for $99 to $199. everyone is going on about what a bargin some of these units are. Now I never knew that I wanted GPS until the word bargin came into the picture. Question is does the unit have to be specific for motorcycle application? Can I buy one of the $99 units, buy some type of mount, plug it in (Venture plug) and go or is there more to it. Seems a bit to easy......

Thanks,

Kenny:fingers-crossed-emo

Some of the units are motorcycle specific, but I do believe most of the units can be mounted to a ram mount and used on a motorcyle, of course they may not be weather proof, so you might want to have some sort of cover for it in case of inclimate weather, lots of members just use a large ziplock bag to protect them, I dont have one so Im no expert on them, but Im sure some of the experts here will chime in with some good info.

I'll start by saying that I know nothing about GPS other than what I read on this site. So, here goes. I noticed that several stores in my area have GPS units on sale for $99 to $199. everyone is going on about what a bargin some of these units are. Now I never knew that I wanted GPS until the word bargin came into the picture. Question is does the unit have to be specific for motorcycle application? Can I buy one of the $99 units, buy some type of mount, plug it in (Venture plug) and go or is there more to it. Seems a bit to easy......

Thanks,

Kenny:fingers-crossed-emo

Im chiming in, but I am no expert on them....

Some other things to digest:

• Does the "unit" run on 12 volts?
  • Does the unit "charger" run on 12 volts?
  • Is the unit "vibration proof"?
  • Does the unit come happen to come with an attachment to "swap" from bike to car
  • Does the unit come with "2009" maps?
  • Can you download new maps to the unit, if it does not have 2009 maps?

There are many styles of attachments and bracketry available these days to fit most any make or model unit you choose.....

Make sure you install an inline fuseable link when you hard wire it to your bike.

If it comes with a "plug in" for the ciggarette lighter, the push in plug itself may have a fuse in the very end of it...if it does, make sure you carry a spare or two..

First check with Ram Mount and see if they make a motorcycle mount for the one your thinking about. For that price I would venture (no pun intended) to say it is not water proof or motorcycle minded. does it have an audio output jack so that yopu can plug it into your Aux input, if not you will not be able to hear it when riding. Does it have MP3 capabilities, if not then you won't have tunes.

With gloves on it will be hard to work.

The other motorcycle specific models cost more but it's well worth it. I have the Garmin 550 now and love it. I went thru 3 other car specific GPS's before I ended up spending the money but I have not looked back since.

Pilot

I have asked that same question couple of times as well. Appreciate seeing some of the feedback so far. While I would love to dive in and get the Zumo 550, as everyone suggests that that is THE best unit for the bikes, I'm not so sure on plunking down the money for a "first" unit - and not using it fully.

Not to hijack the thread, my other question would be ease in getting a route onto the unit - then being able to change that route while on the road. I am not really computer literate, and having followed these GPS threads for a while, it seems as GPS has another language of its own - and I know myself - I wouldn't take the time to really learn the in's and out's of a unit. Besides the comments Eck pointed out, is there a good unit at a reasonable price that is simple to operate - or does it make sense to just wait and save for a 550? I guess any unit is better than nothing :confused24::confused24:

I own a Zumo 550. It is designed for the motorcycle. It comes with the mount for the bike so you can take it on or off easily, it comes with the connector (12V) which is built into the mount, it comes with other hardware so I can use it with my car as well.

The questions you have to ask:

1. Does it have a mount for my bike or can I get one.

2. Is it weather proof - designed to take the beating of direct sunlight, wind, rain, etc.

3. Is the interface for the device easily readable and able to interact with it if wearing gloves? One handed? Is the display large enough? Bright enough?

4. If you want the audio of the streets and turn commands, is there an output to connect?

I would say these are the basic primary reasons for me if I were looking for a bargain, and knowing what I know about the Zumo.

HTH

I'm no expert either

From what I've seen so far the only make that lets you do routes on your PC and then upload them to the unit easily is the Garmin. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I believe this is true for any Garmin unit. ( I know it works on my smartphone )

If all I wanted it for was to get in/on the vehicle and punch in a destination then pretty much any GPS will do that well. Some let you choose the kinds of roads to avoid.

I really want to be able to make a route easily (this is easy on the PC) and upload it to the GPS so the only make for me would be Garmin at this time.

Wayne

Based on everything I have read from members here I went with a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 for my 1st GPS on the bike. Paid less than $125 on E-Bay for a reconditioned unit. Has the same Warranty as a new unit!

I'm no whiz when it comes to GPS either; and the cost of the Garmin 550 and higher priced Garmin units was a little too much for my wallet. Additionally I don't need all the bells and whistles that can be had with the higher cost units. I just need something to get me there and back home without getting me totally lost in the process........and anyone who knows me will verify that I have a track record for getting lost once I am out of State! LOL!

Another thing is features outside the actual on-bike use.

The Garmins you have options with your home computers (Mac/Win), where by you can design routes, copy other people's routes, set way points, plan trips, etc. The Garmin makes it easy to get these from computer to device. Also Garmin makes it real easy to keep the device updated - from the mapping software and the firmware.

Also now you can also use google maps to plot/plan rides and send those to your Garmin as well.

Garmin has the nest ratings also compared to TomTom, Magellian, Cobra, and the plethora of others out there.

But if you just want something to show you the way when you are lost, or find a hotel or gas station or a place to east whilst out on the road - and you don't mind maybe giving up my 4 previous caviots in my earlier post, then buy the bargain stuff. GPS is GPS when you are lost. ;-)

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 as well and can't say enough about it. I do admit the price can be an issue but also consider the overall design of any GPS you use on a bike. The most important aspects are vibration, weather and operation with your left hand and with gloves. It doesn't matter how good the deal seems, if the unit won't do what you need it to do it's a waste. I have friends who have purchased GPS units that couldn't take the environment they were in and the warranties wouldn't cover them because of "missuse". I have another Garmin I bought for my wife's car. I love the unit but it would never survive on the bike. Maybe on a beautiful sunny day at low speeds but unfortunately that doesn't qualify for the majority of riding I do that requires a GPS.

Garmin also makes a Zumo 450 that's $200 cheaper because it doesn't have some of the features but is still designed the same as the 550. I guess my .02 worth is to not waste money on something that will just be a disappointment. Pick the unit that does what you want it to do and then find a deal on that.

I'm no expert but I have been well pleased with mine. I have a Magellan 2500T Crossover. I can plan routes on my computer and download but I usually just punch in a destination on the GPS screen. I don't think it will work well with gloves. I paid $200.00 new on Ebay. It comes with a car windshield mount but I was able to find a handlebar mount off of Ebay as well. It will snap right off the bike and I can install it in the car in a matter of seconds. It is also water tight because it can actually be used as a marine GPS if you install a card in the expantion slot with marine maps. It has capability of plugging into the aux jack in the steereo but I usually just listen to the radio and follow the on screen directions. It will tell you at any time how many miles the next turn and the name of the street you will be turning onto so that is why I just follow the onscreen directions. It will also work for hunting like a hand held, thus the name Crossover: marine, auto and handheld. I've been well pleased with mine. I'm not sure if Magellan is still making this exact model because I have had mine about 1 year. It comes with a cigerette lighter plug and I plug her right into the cigerette plug on the bike.

I don't know if all GPS's are the same as far as the mount goes but mine snaps off of the handle bar mount very easily. So when we stop at a resturant or any other time I am not going to be right next to the bike, I remove it from the mount and put it in the saddle bags or trunk because it would be very easy for someone to steal. If it didn't remove from the mount so easy, I might consider leaving it on the bike when I am not in plain view of it. The easy removal has its obvious advantages too!

I think most all GPS's are generally the same. Some have options that others don't but the navigation part is all pretty much standard. One thing is to make sure you can get a good way to mount it on your bike. I wouldn't suggest using the suction cup mount that is intended for the windshield on your car for mounting on the bike.

Edited by raceman62race

In my opinion, if you do not want to spend a lot you get what you pay for, but almost any unit as long as you can find the mount for it would work. My Garmin Zumo450 bouncing more in the car than the bike. Personally the garmin is quite easy to use but there is a lot of features with any of them. You will learn if you want to.

Get one with the maps loaded and some units only cover the country you purchase them in, therefore if you plan on crossing the border you may want to make sure the unit has both countries in it.

Some of the other suggestions are very good as well depending on what you want.

BRad

I have a TOMTOM 1. If there is a way to specify an exact route I haven't found it so we argue a lot before she finally agrees with me when I insist on taking the road less traveled. At the end of a 300 mile day on curvy roads and I missed the curve sign it is nice to be able to look at the screen and see how sharp a corner is coming up. I knocked it out of my trunk at a campground and it got rained on all night. It took a few days of drying and a recharge from the laptop but it came back and has been fine. I like what the Garmin owners are saying about being able to setup a route on the computer and downloading it.

I have a Garmin Quest that is waterproof and portable with its self contained antenna and battery that will run for 20 hours on a charge if you dont want to connect it to car or bike. I have used it a lot in my car and outside just walking around, but i havnt tried it on my bike yet but I do have the kit that ties into the bikes sound system so you get the voice directions. The kit from garmin for the bike just comes with the head unit to mount the Quest into so you just screw it to the top of a ram mount.

It does not have an MP3 player or bluetooth, but I wasnt sure I wanted to spend all that money on the unit. It comes with up to date software and it can be renewed yearly from a download from garmin for the yearly charge. The unit doesnt have the amount of memory that more expensive units do but i can load all the maps of western canada and all the states from Montana south and west to California on it at one time, so its all I need. I can also plan an exact route on my laptop and input it into the Quest but I usually just punch in the destination I am going to into the Quest itself (its easy) and let it route me to the destination. I dont get a choice on the exact route but there are options like no toll roads, gravel roads or fastest route or best route etc.

The best part is that i paid about 120 bucks for it last spring and the motorcycle kit was another 40 bucks on ebay.

Here is the link where i bought mine from http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3094213&CatId=2372 for 120 bucks. Or you can go to Garmin Store and spend 450 bucks here for it here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=213 .

Its not the fanciest GPS but it works well for me

Brian

Edited by friesman

I am looking at the Garmin Quest2 right now. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. This would be a stepup from what friesman is talking about. On this model it can hold the entire US maps. Last time I checked a vendor on e-bay had it for $140 refurbished. I was about to buy it, but the vendor didn't have it for sale anylonger. I check everyonce in a while and haven't seen it since. :-(

I know a guy that has the Garmin Quest and another person that had a (I want to say) Zumo-not sure which model. Even though the Quest screen is smaller it was very viewable in direct sunlight. The other one I saw, you had to put your hand on top of the unit to see it.

I just got the Garmin Street Pilot 2720 for $125 off E-Bay.

Sadly it will NOT fit any Ram Mount because the unit is for vehicles and NOT motorcycles! Sooooo.....I slapped the unit into my truck and man that is one sweet GPS! It took me a whole 3 minutes to set it up,get "HOME" locked in, and even figgered out how to use the gizmo.

I'm happy(for now)but will really be happy when I get the Garmin for my bike.

I am looking at the Garmin Quest2 right now. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. This would be a stepup from what friesman is talking about. On this model it can hold the entire US maps. Last time I checked a vendor on e-bay had it for $140 refurbished. I was about to buy it, but the vendor didn't have it for sale anylonger. I check everyonce in a while and haven't seen it since. :-(

I know a guy that has the Garmin Quest and another person that had a (I want to say) Zumo-not sure which model. Even though the Quest screen is smaller it was very viewable in direct sunlight. The other one I saw, you had to put your hand on top of the unit to see it.

yeah the quest2 is identical to mine but it has 2 or 3 times the built in memory so it holds all the maps of north america. It wasnt an issue for me as I dont make too many trips that long at once, heheh. The other thing I liked about the quest or quest2 is that they are running with solid state memory not harddrives. Anything with a harddrive is gonna hate the vibration on a bike, just ask any computer geek....

Thats was a screaming deal on that quest2 for 140 bucks I have never seen them at that price,too bad you didnt get a chance to snap it up. there is one on the net now for 199 on bizrate, but I dont know the retailer.

Brian

Edited by friesman

An inexpensive GPS that is waterproof and built for the outdoors is the Lowrance XOG. V7Goose showed me his while we were in Eureka Springs. I saw them on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $159 and plunked down my plastic. Costco has it for $149 today shipping included. I have not used it extensively, but it is mounted to the bike with a ram mount and seems to work fine. It is surprisingly rich in features. It also has the mp3 player and a SD memory card slot for maps and music. I don't know about planning trips on the computer then downloading them. I would like that feature as well, but I'm not willing to pay 6 bills for it when paper maps are free.

I've bought other cheap GPS units and not been happy. The Sanyo I currently have is bluetooth enabled, and has a big screen, but the software is so klugy that I can't find the street I'm looking for half the time. Then it is sckitzophrenic about taking me off the beaten path for no good reason. That is one surprise you don't want when you are miles from home. IMHO, buy one you know will do what you want, either because you have a friend with the same model, or you've borrowed one and used it.

That said, I have a friend with the Tom Tom unit for motorcycles and he really likes it. He says he can plan his route on the PC and download it to the bike, complete with point of interest information and such. This is another unit in the 6 bill range though.

Edited by Stoutman

I have the Magellan Maestro 3100 when I bought it it was $199.00 . It is now down to about $99.00 . I make sure it is fully charged ( good for about 4 hrs ) before a trip and I also have a ciggarette lighter plug in my trunk for longer trips . When I dont need the GPS I keep it plugged in and leave it in the trunk so it stays charged . I also take along the wall charger for over nights . I put the unit in a pocket with a set of headphones attached and just listen to the directions . If I want I can use only one of the ear pieces and still hear it fine . For me it works fine and you dont have to worry about looking at a screen while riding . If you also want to do this just make sure the unit you buy has a headphone plug .

Edited by Jalle53

I got a Quest 2 from Ebay for the $140.00 price and love it. The Ram mount for it was $40.00, and that was from Ebay also. I power it with the outlet on the front fairing, so it places the speaker to far down to hear the directions, but the screen is very viewable in direct sunlight.

I got a Quest 2 from Ebay for the $140.00 price and love it. The Ram mount for it was $40.00, and that was from Ebay also. I power it with the outlet on the front fairing, so it places the speaker to far down to hear the directions, but the screen is very viewable in direct sunlight.

If you get the garmin motorcycle kit for the quest2 it will plug right into your aux plug and will use your bike stereo speakers.

Brian

Didn't look at the feedback info., but about as cheap as it is going to get 119 + 7 shipping. 99.3 feedback, 10,285 items.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Quest-2-Portable-GPS-Navigation_W0QQitemZ370127639401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item370127639401&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I can't find them right now, but someone else had it for around $140 + free shipping. 100% positive feedback, around 380 items and only 2 of those items were bought so you know he is a good seller.

I picked up a Whistler GPS off WOOT for $99.00 and it works for me. Run it in the car, truck, or on the bike, can't see the screen in the direct sun, it's not waterproof, but it tells me where I am...even when I ain't. The kids like it in the car, and I like the sexy voice. It's helped me find a few local addresses, and one Motel 6 in Idaho, but for the most part it's just intertainment. I have known a few folks that need one to get acrossed town with out getting lost, but the day I can't get from one side of this country to the other by myself, I'll give up driving or riding....