IGNORED

GPS stupid questions

kmurphympd

I bought a Tom Tom One to use on the bike and in the car. The only feature i wish I had was the ability to hook it into the audio system, so it could tell me I'm a butt for turning the wrong way. That's why I need my co-pilot aboard!

I'm with you Condor on using GPS. Having said that tho I will be glad to have it on my Venture.

I do Patriot Guard Missions covering 8 States of the New England Region. Using paper maps with grease pencil directions on the windshield is no fun! I have to get to the Mission Staging Area by a specific time and getting lost is not a viable option for me.

For routine riding I have no use for GPS because getting lost is part of the riding enjoyment for me.

Regards.........Boomer

I have a garmin zumo 450 - it's significantly cheaper than the 550. I haven't missed the bluetooth stuff which the 550 has, but the extra mounts would be nice. This one is pretty rugged, and definitely helps me get around. When I lead rides I put in the routes, and if I have to detour it's really helpful. Also recommends different routes, and I learn the roads better that way. Kind of a security blanket.

-Becky

I just got the Garmin Street Pilot 2720 for $125 off E-Bay.

Sadly it will NOT fit any Ram Mount because the unit is for vehicles and NOT motorcycles! .

this is the 2720 on my bike ..and as you can see ..you can get the ram mount for it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010263.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010262.jpg

this is the 2720 on my bike ..and as you can see ..you can get the ram mount for it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010263.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010262.jpg

I have the Ram Mount for the 2720 as well. The problem is that the GPS has a mounting bracket (made for a vehicle dashboard) that cannot be removed thus preventing me from putting it in the Ram Mount.

No big deal to me as I put the 2720 in my truck and ordered a MC specific Garmin and a Ram Holder as well. The Ram Mount fits the bike perfectly I might add.

*****I just noticed that the holder you have for your 2720 looks nothing like the one which came with my Ram Mount. Seems Garmin scrooed up!! Again no big deal....My truck like the 2720! LOL!

Edited by BoomerCPO
Additional comments added.

Question on the Quest1. The picture from the link shows the map, speed, etc...the unit I saw in person did not have all that in one picture. You had to push a button to switch between the map and things like speed. Is that just an option that you can view all in one screen and another option that you can switch between these 2 views?

I do want to look into other models as well now that people mention MP3 connection. I have been thinking about removing my cd player. Is there a way to connect the MP3 which is connected to the GPS to the bike speakers so you can hear it through my helmet speakers?

Question on the Quest1. The picture from the link shows the map, speed, etc...the unit I saw in person did not have all that in one picture. You had to push a button to switch between the map and things like speed. Is that just an option that you can view all in one screen and another option that you can switch between these 2 views?

I do want to look into other models as well now that people mention MP3 connection. I have been thinking about removing my cd player. Is there a way to connect the MP3 which is connected to the GPS to the bike speakers so you can hear it through my helmet speakers?

My quest1 lists the speed and altitiude and arrival times down the right side at all times when you get close to an turn it will advise you audibley 1/2 mile ahead as well as print it across the top of the screen. As you get closer it zooms right in and gives you more detail on thingsa like an interchange or cloverleaf.

Brian