IGNORED

Windshield Cleaning

celling

The windshield on my bike came with a cloudy coating that if it was in a bathtub I would call it calcium build up. It is spotty. I think the detailer, before I bought it must have used something that effected every plastic part on the bike, even the clear part for the tag light. It will easily scrape off with a fingernail, but that would take a while! I have tried #2 grit polish and that with LOTS of work will eventually take it off of small areas. I even tried regular rubbing compound followed by the #2 polish on the little wind deflectors below the windshield and that eventually got it off but they are still a little cloudy, although they look much better. Some one mentioned trying vinegar, which I did, no luck.:think::think::think:

Has anyone see this before and short of replacing the windshield, how do you clean it off.

Cannot ride at night, 'cause oncomming lights make it opaic.

Walter

Stock windshield comes with hard coating on both sides that helps prevent scratches. This coating can be damaged by numerous things, including lots of solvents, paint pens (they like to write on them in junk yards!), etc. I have seen several very similar to what you describe. The shield will look better if you can find a way to remove all the damaged coating (typically with more solvent), but then the plastic will scratch VERY easily. Unfortunately, once this hard coat gets damaged, there is little you can do short of a new shield.

On other questions - Re: RainX - I believe the bottles have a specific warning about not using on some types of plastic - I cannot verify this now because I don't buy the stuff and they have a terrible web site that tell you nothing!

Re: Plexus - I have used it and it is good, but I find nothing of value to justify the price over other options.

Re: Products with ammonia (like Windex) - very bad for many plastics.

Re: Pledge - never tried it, have no interest in it.

Re: Kit Scratch Out - I have used this with buffer wheel to polish paint with excellent results - would have never tried it on shields due to the scratching nature of polishing compounds, so this info is great to know!

Re: Preferred product for cleaning shields - I love Sprayway Ammonia Free glass cleaner, available very cheap at WalMart and Sam's.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock windshield comes with hard coating on both sides that helps prevent scratches. This coating can be damaged by numerous things, including lots of solvents, paint pens (they like to write on them in junk yards!), etc. I have seen several very similar to what you describe. The shield will look better if you can find a way to remove all the damaged coating (typically with more solvent), but then the plastic will scratch VERY easily. Unfortunately, once this hard coat gets damaged, there is little you can do short of a new shield.

On other questions - Re: RainX - I believe the bottles have a specific warning about not using on some types of plastic - I cannot verify this now because I don't buy the stuff and they have a terrible web site that tell you nothing!

Re: Plexus - I have used it and it is good, but I find nothing of value to justify the price over other options.

Re: Products with ammonia (like Windex) - very bad for many plastics.

Re: Pledge - never tried it, have no interest in it.

Re: Kit Scratch Out - I have used this with buffer wheel to polish paint with excellent results - would have never tried it on shields due to the scratching nature of polishing compounds, so this info is great to know!

Re: Preferred product for cleaning shields - I love Sprayway Ammonia Free glass cleaner, available very cheap at WalMart and Sam's.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

This falls in the category of "you ain't gonna believe this s--t!"

After trying everything else, in cluding rubbing compound and a power buffer, I was gonna cut down the "other" windshield, so I could just look over it. Put some duct tape on it to mark it and keep it from splintering when I attacked it with my sabre saw. Well I had a wrinkle in it so I pulled the tape off to straighten it out and GUESS WHAT?:crackup:

It wouldn't stick back.:think: I pulled the tape off and WOW clean clear plastic!!! The coating came off with the tape!!! Wish I had tried this to start with...:buttkick:

This falls in the category of "you ain't gonna believe this s--t!"

After trying everything else, in cluding rubbing compound and a power buffer, I was gonna cut down the "other" windshield, so I could just look over it. Put some duct tape on it to mark it and keep it from splintering when I attacked it with my sabre saw. Well I had a wrinkle in it so I pulled the tape off to straighten it out and GUESS WHAT?:crackup:

It wouldn't stick back.:think: I pulled the tape off and WOW clean clear plastic!!! The coating came off with the tape!!! Wish I had tried this to start with...:buttkick:

That is exactly what eagleeye said in post #25. Your problem now is just going to be how soft the plastic is without that coating. If you are real careful you may be able to keep from scratching it too quickly, but even the cracked shells of splattered bugs will scratch when you try to clean it. But one little piece of good news remains: without the hard coating you can polish out minor scratches using something like Novus and a power buffer. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

i would like to add, first step to clean a 'sheld is to use a clean terry cloth / cotton cloth. soaked in warm water, squeeze out some of the water, then put it on the 'sheld for a few minutes to soften the bugs up. i always clean the 'sheld with up and down motion, to help minumize scratches. i have a clearview 'sheld, i then use novus#1 to final clean & buff. if i remember right the novus line of products is approved by the clearview folks. they also say you can use the orginal formula rain-x on the 'sheld. novis also makes a#2 fine scratch removal and a #3 heavy scratch removal. these are the products i use. i have never used pledge but i may give it a try.

best reguards

don c.

I had an 85 goldwing before the Venture. Used everything on the windshield with no problems. I used Windex and Rainex on the Venture. One of them made the windshield cloudy and I haven't been able to get it off. It almost looks like it melted the windshield coating. I heard that Windex will damage the windshield so that might be the problem.

I clean the windshield using Plexus and a micro fiber towel-- truth plexus is over priced

I keep a small can in the saddle bag

When the bugs are heavy bugs prestone windshield wash I do limit that.

BIKE BRITE Moto Mask Windscreen Rain Coating

works good

I started using last year

best part the bugs don't stick as bad and makes easy cleaning

not cheap 9.00 for 4oz you barely need any and it will last

Honda Glare Ultra wash

for the rest of the bike

• 3 weeks later...
I go to "Dollar Tree" and get "Power House" wax for a buck a can and use it on anything. Carry a can ion the bags with Micro soft towels. But then I worry more about riding when I'm out than I do cleaning.

Don't know who that guy was trying to wipe down that "Ugly" bike every time it stopped in Ashville this summer?

I'm a convert. Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish was always my favorite, but when comparing $1 vs $ 5 a can I'll go with cheap.

You could also try some of these kits for refurbishing plastic headlight covers, I have seen them in the autoparts stores.

I recently saved myself $ 22 on one of those kits. I had great success with plain old-style white Colgate toothpaste. I worked it in with my fingers, and could tell it was working because the toothpaste turned yellow.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings....

A $1.10 can of pledge wrapped in a hotel towelet.

Stop for gas, Wet the towel, place on windshield, fill the tank, remove towel and all bugs and other road grime. Spray on pledge and use some clean paper towels ( or your towel, should be dry enough by now) to polish and dry.

Yeah, it kinda sparkles a little bit - but you get used to it. No rainbow, Rain drops make little itty bitty drops instead of big lakes and ponds and blows off really fast. Snow barely sticks, ice falls off instead of caking up...

Use it on your helmet faceplate too - the lemon smell on the inside is kinda nice. doesn't get annoying...

• 4 weeks later...

I found a glass cleaner that has no ammonia or harsh additives in it at the local office supply. I even says it is safe for plastics. Sorry I don't have a can with me to get the brand, but will post later. I have been using it for a year and no damage to the windshield, also use it on the plastic parts of the mc, great for loosening and cleaning bugs, dust dirt and grime. I had some big dried bugs dried hard to the bike after long trips through Nebraska and spray let them soak a few then wipe away. Very easy. It sprays out a white foam, comes in a six pack. It specificily says SAFE FOR PLASTICS. Best I've found in my 30+ years of riding.

I will post the Brand tomorrow, this product may be availible in walmats, dollor stores or sam's and costco now.

I've been using "Invisible Glass" in the aerosol can for the last 2 years I've owned this bike. Spray it on and let is soak for a couple of minutes and wallah, bugs and crap just wipe away using a soft clean cloth of course. :thumbsup2:

I have used Plexus for years and still buy it, even though it is getting pricy. The biggest factor with Plexus is what you wipe it off with. I use a soft cotton towel, like an old dish towel. Any bath type towels I have used appear to have too much synthetic fibers.

When I wash my bike with a car wash soap, not dish detergent, I will still put Plexus on as it fills the small scratches and it is much more clear. I also routinely use the Plexus on our sun glasses.

RandyA

I know that somewhere in this site is a thread about how to properly clean a windshield and what to use but I can't find it.:confused24: I have read about the use of Pledge cleaner and a 210 cleaner are these good products and are there others? Has anyone used Rain X to let the rain run off. I worry about getting a rainbow effect when the Sun hits it. What does everyone carry with them in there bags for cleaning? :think:

I checked today the glass cleaner i use is called "SPRAYWAY" (not sprayaway) it is good for plastics and states so on the front of the can. Good for the Windshield, ABS, Chrome, Glass and Plastic. :thumbsup2: I carry this with me on trips makes cleaning the bike at the end of the day on a trip very easy.

Guest seuadr
I use Rain-X on my original 11 year old windshield; works great and it looks like new. Clean first with very warm soapy water.

Also, I called Cee Bailey (an aircraft windshield manufacturer) for advise on their replacement motorcycle windshields, and they said Rain-X is OK to use.

i was wondering about this.. i've heard mixed reviews either way.

i've been using rainx on my helmet shields for years, but i'm hard on them and only keep a shield a couple years so was wondering if i just didn't see the damage.

Yep... Pledge to the rescue ... I been using it for years.

OK, I'm interested. Is that Pledge FURNITURE polish OR "multipurpose cleaner". It "looks" like the polish has got oil in it...if so, doens't it cause dust to stick, etc? Inquiring minds want to know:innocent-emoticon: THANKS!

OK, I'm interested. Is that Pledge FURNITURE polish OR "multipurpose cleaner". It "looks" like the polish has got oil in it...if so, doens't it cause dust to stick, etc? Inquiring minds want to know:innocent-emoticon: THANKS!

I've used countless cans of Pledge Clean & Dust over the years... no oil, no wax. It's the silicones that keep the dust, bugs & grime from sticking. Click to see the MSDS (as a PDF file).

A colleague at work recently put me onto this stuff.

NOVUS POLISHES - THE PROFESSIONAL AND EXPERT CHOICE

By using a few simple techniques, along with NOVUS Plastic Clean & Shine No. 1, NOVUS Fine Scratch Remover No. 2 & NOVUS Heavy Scratch Remover No. 3, you can actually add life to plastic and keep it looking new. Best of all, you don't have to be a pro to get professional results.

Frankly, I wouldn't have bothered but he insisted and even brought me a sample to try. Apparently they use it in the finishing dept where we work for polishing up plexi glass parts.

I have to admit it seems to work well.

I had lots of crazing and cracking of my speedo and tach dial face plastic. From the P.O. leaving the bike parked out in the sun a lot I think. A few applications of the Novus #2 and they have become much less noticeable indeed.

The bugs don't stick to my windshield like they used to either and it shines up nice and clear but wasn't in that bad a state to begin with.

I don't know if I'll buy more when the sample runs out, nor do I know how much it costs or where to get it but it does seem to do a nice job.

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
because I can't leave things alone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...