IGNORED

The Invisible Rider

vette8494

As long as we're sharing...

I was riding back from Death Valley, our annual ride. The last of my 17 fellow riders had just left me to make the final 5 mile ride home. I was on a 2 lane controlled access highway in the number 2 lane. As I approached an on-ramp I was able to see several cars entering the highway. Seeing a good size opening in the number 1 lane I moved over and continued at speed. The cars began to merge into the number 2 lane, but the lead car decided that the opening I now occupied was actualy meant for him. With no hesitation the he, it was a he, crossed the number 2 lane and ended up right along side me. I was sure he would see me and back off alowing me to return to my lane. Instead I was forced off into the center divider. As luck would have it the center divider was about 40 yards wide and dirt with tufts of grass and shrubs. I learned to ride in the dirt, lucky again. I began down-shifting, not touching my brakes, and slowely came to a stop. No one stopped, no one called CHP. Had I gone down I hesitate to think how I ight have ended up. A Valkyrie is not a light machine.

Keep you eyes open. Because most of the time we are invisible

35 Years ago i had a similar incident, 2 cars were beside me in the lane next to me when car B decided to pass car A and pulled into my lane as if I wasn't even there squeezing right between me and car A. Fortunatly nothing happend. Well almost nothing my buddy who was behind me decided to catch up and pass car B and in doing so tossed out a hand full nuts which pinged of the car's rad and windshield ( he tended to carry them in his pocket for just such occasions).

I also had a similar incident recently.

I was going through a light that had just turned green in the left lane. There were two cars in the right lane stopped. I suppose the first car didn't move fast enough for the second one as (s)he pulled out to pass just as I was going through. I tried to hit the horn (but missed it) as I swerved left then right to avoid the median on the other side of the intersection. I had been watching for exactly that scenario as I approached the cars. Two blocks later, I started feeling the anxiety in my stomach. To regain control, I started chanting a "mental mantra"... "Pay attention, it can happen again. Pay attention, it can happen again."

• 2 months later...

It's why I'm fitting my 1st gen with TWO badboy horns out the front blaring out the front vent of the fairing. If they are gonna' run me off the road, they get to change their underwear and go for a hearing test as a present.

Its unfair that today to get a Cycle endorcement you have to go through intensive and expensive training course. But a cage driver has to simply prove they are breathing and say their name correctly to get behind the wheel. And the number of bikes and mopeds on the road have tripled over the past 2 years.

A few years ago I was riding home from:scared: work on HWY 163, which is a raised HWY, three lanes wide. I was in the left part of the center lane with a car in both the other lanes, when a car past me in my lane doing about 140mph. I was next to the car in the inside and the car on the outside lane when the car past me in the inside lane. It took a while to get my heart to slow down. I can't even tell what kind of car it was.

tew47

Last week I had a fellow come in to the car dealer where I work to order a part. When he left I noticed he was on a GoldWing. The next day I called to let him know his part was in and he mentioned that he would probably have to send his brother to pick it up because he would be in bed recuperating from a bike accident.

As he was slowing to turn off of the state highway onto his driveway some 'thug' (his description) hit him from behind. Witnesses say he was totally limp (unconcious) as soon as he left his bike and looked just like a fat Superman flying through the air. Highway Patrol measurements and witness interviews determined that he was in the air for 77ft before he landed. Luckily, his worst injury was a bruised arm that his brother said is totally black from wrist to elbow.

Just about have to look behind you as much as in front.

Some time ago I was going through town when a lady in, of all things, a pink cadillac pulled out of a side road. We were so close I slammed my boot into the drivers door to help keep the bike away from the car. Fortunately it was a low speed incident. She didn't even blink. A few minutes later I pulled into a parking lot and she pulled in right beside me. I waited for her to say something and when she didn't I remarked that it had certainly been a close call. She did not know what I was talking about, I explained it to her. Her answer..."Well why don't you look where you are going".

Recently I was heading out of town. I saw a woman in a mini van sitting at a stop sign. (Warning! Woman! Mini Van!) I kept my eye on her as I approached. I could see she was watching me. When I got right up to her she pulled out and stopped, completely blocking the lane! Then she laughed. Fortunately I was ready for the panic stop. She took off but it did not take long to catch up to her. I doubt she will be pulling that stunt again. I know I should not have chased her but it was the laugh that did it.

Folks there are no laws on the books which can alter the stupidity level which many Cagers seem to possess. Defensive driving on my part and the capability to apply a large motorcycle boot to the needed posterior is all I need.

Boomer......who knows that steel ball bearings properly applied quickly gives a stupid Cager a whole new perspective about driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I just love it when something like that happens and I lay on the horn and then they give me the finger. One day I was making a right turn into the right lane when a guy making a left turn wanted to turn into my lane instead of the left lane he was supposed to turn into. I quickly pulled off the road to give him the "right of way". When I got along side his drivers side I pointed out that he had made an illegal turn. He yelled f**k you and flipped me the bird. I love these people who try killing ME and I'M the a**hole.

:buttkick:

• 2 weeks later...

About 20 years ago, my wife and I were on our daily commute to work, when this woman got right up on our tail. We were on a county highway, doing about 55, and she just stayed on my tail.(4-lane hwy, so no reason for it). I tried speeding up, but she was just matching my speed, and staying right on me. I mean she was CLOSE!!

I don't know what her problem was, but I was drinking a Coke from a glass bottle at the time(my wife was holding it for me). Well, the bottle ended up looking really nice sticking out of her windshield.:rasberry:

I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but I was pissed(and I was only 19 at the time),and I think it may have taught her a lesson.

I've used a pocket full of pennies too.