IGNORED

Tranny problem

Guest indyrick

Guest indyrick

Hi. Newbie here. I have a '91 Venture with approx 140k on it. Runs great and shifts solid and smooth with one problem....it doesn't want to go into neutral. Often I have to put it in first and then slip the clutch to get it in neutral. It generally goes in if I can get it in before stopping. Anyone had this problem before and is there anything I can do without a tranny rebuild?

thx

indy

Indy it sounds like you are dealing with a wear issue in the tranny or linkage.Try goosing the throttle while putting the bike in nuetral it may help. Check for excessive wear (slop) to the linkage and pivot points and fix it if you find any.

Jeff

Funny, that basically describes my 05 Venture.. and it only has 9K on it. My service manager told me I might have to "slip" or "feather" the clutch to shift down. This is usually when I'm almost stopped or completely stopped.

Guess when I get 140K on my bike I'll be using a sledge hammer to shift into neutral!

Mine is the same (or worse). Once I'm stopped, I pretty much have to shut it off to get it into neutral. I've checked my external linkage, fixed anything that was a problem and lubed it.

I have found; however, that if I am stopped, engine running, and in first, I can sometimes get it into neutral by revving the engine some and "fiddling" with the shifter. It will maybe go into neutral but sometimes goes into 2nd...I just keep revving and fiddling and eventually I will get neutral. I don't do this much... not worth the time or effort. I rarely, if ever, use neutral when the bike is running anyway except when starting. Have no problem "bumping" it into neutral when engine off. Just pull clutch in, put pressure on shifter and give the bike a bit of a "rock".

If your clutch is not releasing good, it will be more difficult to get into neutral. And conversely, if your clutch is releasing real good, it can be more difficult to get in gear while stopped, as the gears are floating free, and the dogs are not lining up with the slots. What you will notice is if you let out slightly on the clutch, it will go in gear, because the dogs and slots move past each other.

RandyA

Please consider your Oil as a Factor in Shifting Issues ...

There are plenty of Guys who have changed the Brand or/and Weight and did get better and precise shifting.

Of Course, everything else should be in good Shape, Linkage, Clutch and the Rachet/Pinwheel behind the the Clutch-Basket.

• 9 months later...

My 85 VR has about 40k kms (approx 25k miles) and I have a real problem getting her into neutral when engine is running, but it just seems to be a 1st gen VR issue. It just seems to skip over neutral alternating between 1 to 2nd while stopped at intersection, so Ive pretty much given up on the neutral thing at the traffic lights.

I have another issue though when I open it hard in 2nd gear the engine revs and it feels like my clutch is slipping as it gets up to 5 or 6 thousand rpm very quickly but I dont get a fast accelleration feeling, then as the bike catches up in speed the revs will hold. I can lug the engine down in any gear and the clutch doesnt slip when i start hard in from a stop or if I lug it down in 3rd and accellerate. The trans never slips out of gear like the 2nd gear issue that Ive heard about and it almost feels like those newer CVT transmissions that some vehicles are using now.

Any ideas or suggestions?

PS ive only had this bike for a month so its still kinda new to it, but luvvin it so far.

My 85 VR has about 40k kms (approx 25k miles) and I have a real problem getting her into neutral when engine is running, but it just seems to be a 1st gen VR issue. It just seems to skip over neutral alternating between 1 to 2nd while stopped at intersection, so Ive pretty much given up on the neutral thing at the traffic lights.

I have another issue though when I open it hard in 2nd gear the engine revs and it feels like my clutch is slipping as it gets up to 5 or 6 thousand rpm very quickly but I dont get a fast accelleration feeling, then as the bike catches up in speed the revs will hold. I can lug the engine down in any gear and the clutch doesnt slip when i start hard in from a stop or if I lug it down in 3rd and accellerate. The trans never slips out of gear like the 2nd gear issue that Ive heard about and it almost feels like those newer CVT transmissions that some vehicles are using now.

PS ive only had this bike for a month so its still kinda new to it, but luvvin it so far.

Sounds like the clutch is really slipping, you may need new friction plates & cleaning the steel plates. Put in the barnet clutch springs, I have those springs on my 83, no more slipping (minor, 2 up in 5th gear & hard on throttle). I also run the CDN Tire "formula 1" motor oil in silver jug, for the Deer Hunter, this oil makes it easy to find neutral at a stop. This oil type was in the bike when I got it 2 years ago, still running the same clutch disks. Tried another oil, hard finding neutral, so went back.

I've always found it hard to find neutral from first, I keep trying and sometimes I get lucky. Mostly it jumps to second and then from there I have better pressure contols with my foot to find neutral.

In neutral all the gears are disengaged, separated, so that leave very little space for the gears, and so neutral is a very small spot in the shifting pattern, easy to jump from one to the other. It takes a loving touch to stop the shift in neutral, but often getting it out of first takes a manly pull with the upper part of the foot, and seeing as we use that action very little it's not all that controlled, pushing down with you're foot is used reguarily so can be a much better and lighter touch.

If you have to search for Neutral, check all the Linkage for slack. The Shift Lever needs to have a custom made Collar, because the Area where the Axle Mounts is worn.

Like i said before, the Neighbor usualy has to have a Lathe and will turn one for you out of Brass. Drill the Shift Lever, glue the Collar inside the Lever with red Loctite and be a happy Camper.

Believe or not.....one of the tell tale signs that I need to bleed the clutch slave cylinder is difficulty hitting neutral when the bike is warm and running.

Have a look at your clutch fluid....if its getting dark, change it and bleed the slave cylinder.

I ran into the guy I bought my bike from and he happened to mention that he used synthetic oil and fluid in everything the last time he changed oil and flushed system. (which was when I bought it) Could it be possible that the synthetic fluid is causing my clutch to slip a bit?

I ran into the guy I bought my bike from and he happened to mention that he used synthetic oil and fluid in everything the last time he changed oil and flushed system. (which was when I bought it) Could it be possible that the synthetic fluid is causing my clutch to slip a bit?

Synthetic Clutch Fluid - NO

Synthetic Oil - imho, Yes

But i'm not going to open this synthetic Oil Can of Worms.