IGNORED

Greasing the shaft

stupid question but Im gettign a new rear tire soon and ive rear that the shaft spline should be greased while the whell is off. question is doese the shat have to be removed to get the wheel off or whould that be extra work nott needed to just replace the tire? just want to know if my mechanic would need to charge extra ?

stupid question but Im gettign a new rear tire soon and ive rear that the shaft spline should be greased while the whell is off. question is doese the shat have to be removed to get the wheel off or whould that be extra work nott needed to just replace the tire? just want to know if my mechanic would need to charge extra ?

Dang... the title of this thread sorta threw me off... LOL

Well anywayz... if I'm reading this right, you gotta pull the pumpkin (differential) to grease those splines and that is extra, after the wheel is off.

If you're talkin about the splines inside the wheel hub, that can be done when the wheel is off and nothing extra needs to be dismantled but you should check the (I call them "dampers") while in there.

Frankly speaking, when you have the wheel off, you should go the extra distance and pull the pumpkin and check/grease the driveshaft splines, both front and rear. It's not a major job.

(just my $0.02 cents)

There is a dust cover on the drive shaft coupler at the "pumpkin". It's quite likely that will be destroyed during disassembly. You might want to make sure the mechanic has one on hand before he starts the job.

I'd think an hour or less for extra labor.

There is a dust cover on the drive shaft coupler at the "pumpkin". It's quite likely that will be destroyed during disassembly. You might want to make sure the mechanic has one on hand before he starts the job.

I'd think an hour or less for extra labor.

I do not think there is a problem with a dust cover getting damaged on an 84. The time it would take to pull the driveshaft and grease it should not take more than 15 minutes. It is only four nuts to take off and pull out. If it takes more than 10 seconds to put the driveshaft back in the universal joint coupling on an 84, the mechanic does not know what he is doing.

RandyA

Remove Wheel, --- Remove 4 nuts holding on pumpkin, and remove.

Then just pull out the drive shaft.

Be sure to check the Oil Seal, where Shaft connects to the Pumpkin, might be leaking SAE-90 oil into the Drive shaft houseing.

Be sure to greese the wheel spline before reinstalling on the pumpkin

The drive shaft must always be greased when the tire is changed.There are no replacement shafts for the 83-85 series so this is a must do.Not greasing the shaft will cause the splines to wear out and the shaft to spin in the coupler.Don't ask how I know :(. Since I don't know how many miles are on your bike but I do know it is 24 years old I would also suggest that you have your mechanic take the splined hub off the wheel and pull the pegs from the rubber cushions and grease them and be sure he greases the the little needle bearing as well.This is often neglected and leads to a nasty failure.The last time I checked that bearing could only be bought from Yamaha and is quite pricey.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have my rear wheel off as I am having a new tire mounted on the rim for me.

While the wheel is away and the bike is presenting its drive shaft so obligingly, I'd like to do the recommended drive shaft service. (guilt:8:) I have read the tech library item on d/s service and searched out relevant posts on the subject but I don't find any pictures.

Can anyone point me to any pictures of drive shaft service underway?

If not, perhaps I'll supply some after I do the work.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Ok, I have the 'pumpkin' off and there is quite a lot of old grease at both ends of the shaft.

I can personally attest that this grease has been there for the last 31,000 miles at least.

The grease is grey blue in colour and is abit runnier than I would have expected. Should I be wiping / scraping off all the old grease prior to applying new or just add more?

My plan was to lube it up with some dark lithium based grease that I have at hand but I read about moly grease in posts here and at the other Venture site. Should I be running out to get some of moly instead?

Thanks,

Brian H.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to change the reat tire, and pull the punpkin off my 84 this weekend.. Pull out the drive shaft and lube it... Easy out, but I've had a few people tell me getting the shaft back in is not quite as easy since the u-joint near the front drops down.. Any tricks or tips ??

And what about moly grease?

Thanks,

Clay

Easy out, but I've had a few people tell me getting the shaft back in is not quite as easy since the u-joint near the front drops down.. Any tricks or tips ??

It was surprisingly easy to get the d/s back in. I looked up inside the swing arm with a flashlight, so I could see where the u-joint coupler was. Then I offered the d/s in with the spline headed to where I knew the coupler was, and with a couple of tries got it engaged by feel. I did this dry a couple of times for practice and then greased her up and popped her in for good. Much easier than I had expected!

And what about moly grease?

My favourite local parts n supplies shop didn't have any specificly "MOLY" grease. They recommended a penzoil grease that I used.

All seems good so far. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Brian H.

I do not think there is a problem with a dust cover getting damaged on an 84. The time it would take to pull the driveshaft and grease it should not take more than 15 minutes. It is only four nuts to take off and pull out. If it takes more than 10 seconds to put the driveshaft back in the universal joint coupling on an 84, the mechanic does not know what he is doing.

RandyA

Took me about 3 hrs. Wouldn't give up just trying to stab it in there. If it won't go it has dropped. Probally because it has never been greased. Had to pull back cover to get it started. And you won't tear up that cover on a 84. Usually only takes about 10 seconds to stick back in there as Randy said. Just that Black Cloud that won't give up on me.

The trick is to take Vise grips and put them on the bell of the big end. You just need it tight enough to be able to hold up the front end of the shaft up and it will not hurt the splines. Normally the u-joint will drop down and all you have to do is put the nose into the u-joint hole and lift the front of the shaft up until the splines are straight. Twist the drive shaft slightly until the splines line up and it will slide right in. It took me a lot longer to type this than it does to put the shaft in.

Unclamp the Visegrips and make sure the spring is still in the coupler and slide the rearend in place. I have heard stories about how you are supposed to torque the four nuts in place evenly, but I have never worried about that.

RandyA

I just serviced my drive shaft while replacing the rear tire. Even though it at first looked intimidating, it is an easy job. During reassembly, make sure that your transmission is in gear, then you will easily know when the front splines are engaged. I also carefully used a small pair of needle nosed pliers to hold the rear portion of the shaft, and everything fell into place.

Just did my rear tire and also drive shaft today. It took about 2 minutes or less to get the shaft back in.... Just kind of lifted the u joint up with the end and it slipped right in.. Having the bike in gear helped so the u joint would not move. Maybe lucky , but I'll take it after hearing a few tough stories about putting Drive shaft back in,

Also put in a new fuel filter at the same time.. That's real fun to get at...

New rubber, new fluids, new filters... 4 weeks to our group Ozark Trip..Ready to roll

Clay