Easiest way to check output of the regulator is at the battery. The manual has a way to check ohms in the regulator, been awhile since I did that. Just check DC voltage at the battery, should be 13.5 or higher with the engine at 2500 rpm. Any lower rpm and the stator does not develop enuff juice. You will need to replace the regulator with a 5 wire if that's what you have.

Dan

Easiest way to check output of the regulator is at the battery. The manual has a way to check ohms in the regulator, been awhile since I did that. Just check DC voltage at the battery, should be 13.5 or higher with the engine at 2500 rpm. Any lower rpm and the stator does not develop enuff juice. You will need to replace the regulator with a 5 wire if that's what you have.

Dan

I believe this has been discussed before and that the brown wire is a ground wire going to the electrical system ground on the left side of the frame but is not needed as the regulator itself is grounded to the frame and in later years they just did away with it. I believe the old part number has been superseded with the new one. You could do a search to be sure if you would like.

Dick

Thanks to all ,all I read at the battery is battery voltage does not go up no matter how fast the engine is running. was 100 miles from home friday when I noticed meter was just 12 volts . made it home without stopping ,meter was almost in yellow . Would not start up .jump started did the checks only got voltage at 3 wire white plug 9 - 14 AC volts. battery voltage was about 10.5 .I`m assuming regulator bad

I believe the brown wire is the regulation feedback line. When the ignition switch is on, the red wire is routed through the ignition switch and runs back to the regulator on the brown. This is the "raw voltage" that the regulator senses. It shunts off everything on the red wire above 14.5 volts into the regulator which disapates to the heatsink body.

This brown line (from the red - through the ignition switch) then feeds the ignition fuse.

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/electrical1.jpg

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/electrical2.jpg

Bob ,your saying u had the AC votage at the white plug but stator was still bad .? do u want to sell a regulator??

Yes I had ac voltage of 6.7/7.6/7.8 range at the plug and tried three different regulators and got the same thing on all three was just getting 12.4 volts to the battery which was not enough to keep the battery hot. Went through the ground connection issues. No Help. It wasn't untill I changed out the stator and the ac ranges went up to 8.9/9.3/9.5. The old stator had three burnt windings out of 18 and it was enough to drop the output ac voltage low enough to not have enough Dc voltage after passing through reg/rect. Leading me to believe that all three reg/rect were good. Now I.m getting 14.5 volts to the battery at 1000 rpm. So, I have two extras. $25.00 was what I paid for the last reg/rect. YOU WANT ME TO SEND YOU ONE?

Thanks to all ,all I read at the battery is battery voltage does not go up no matter how fast the engine is running. was 100 miles from home friday when I noticed meter was just 12 volts . made it home without stopping ,meter was almost in yellow . Would not start up .jump started did the checks only got voltage at 3 wire white plug 9 - 14 AC volts. battery voltage was about 10.5 .I`m assuming regulator bad

ac VOLTAGE SHOULD BE WITHIN A VOLT AC OF EACH OTHER, BUT 9 TO 14 VOLT SHOULD BE HIGH ENOUGH OUTPUT FROM STATOR. DOES SOUND LIKE YOUR VOLTAGE REG/RECT IS THE PROBLEM. Make sure your getting good readings through the output plug of the stator. This particular quick connect plug is problematic and notorious for bad connections.

Trust him!! I got him all trained in on fixing the 1st Gen Charging Systems !!!

Everything he knows, he learned the Hard Way !!!!!

:big-grin-emoticon:

George ... did this Learning Experience involve Whips ??

:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by Squeeze

Thanks for all the info ,today i checked voltage with 2 good meters fluke and simpson .the voltage at idle was 2.8 4.2 4.6 .looks like stator is coming out . any idea about where to get one RMstators ???

I've got a brand new Stator that I bought last month from Dennis Kirk. It is an ElectroSport brand. I thought my Stator went out when actually the plug from the reg/rec going to the ignition switch had melted. When I took my old Stator out it looked good so I tested it and it was good so I put it back in and then found the plug bad on the reg. At any rate I have it sitting here and will take 120.00 shipped. That only saves you around 15.00 however as I believe Dennis Kirk sells them for around 135.00 shipped.

Dick