IGNORED

Washing New Bike

baustin

Motorcycles are designed to be ridden in all normal weather conditions (traction questions aside). By this, I mean to say they come from the factory waterproof from anything except immersion. Anything that came on the bike from the manufacturer can take any normal washing.

It is probably wise to not deliberately aim a strong focused jet form a spray nozzle directly into the cracks and joints of the radio head or dash, but it can probably take even that.

I have ridden multiple days in strong driving rains from the hurricanes in the past two years where the effect on the bike (and me!) was very close to total immersion. Even in those conditions, the ONLY things that have ever shown any indication of moisture inside have been the non-motorcycle specific add-on gauges. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

S100...the only way to go...For in between washes, use the detailer...

Just wanted to share my own experience with S100. I am not a fan, but I know many people are. My brother is gaga over the stuff and thinks it is perfect, and his reports got me to try it.

First of all, it DOES work pretty much as described; just make sure your bike is not too warm or you will not be able to get it sprayed off in time. Follow the directions exactly. Letting it sit a little longer does not make it work better, it just lets it dry.

The problem is that it leaves a nasty film that is VERY difficult to completely remove even if you immediately re-wash the bike with soap and water! And what is the point of having to do that anyway? The whole reason to use S100 is so you DON'T have to wash the bike by hand!

To be completely fair, the instructions do clearly say that the stronger your water pressure the better it works. I think I have good strong pressure, and I did use a good spray nozzle that focused the jet well, but I still had the nasty film that looks gross on all the chrome. I tried it twice, then decided to just let the rest of the bottle sit in the garage and ferment for about 200 years. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Just wanted to share my own experience with S100. I am not a fan, but I know many people are. My brother is gaga over the stuff and thinks it is perfect, and his reports got me to try it.

First of all, it DOES work pretty much as described; just make sure your bike is not too warm or you will not be able to get it sprayed off in time. Follow the directions exactly. Letting it sit a little longer does not make it work better, it just lets it dry.

The problem is that it leaves a nasty film that is VERY difficult to completely remove even if you immediately re-wash the bike with soap and water! And what is the point of having to do that anyway? The whole reason to use S100 is so you DON'T have to wash the bike by hand!

To be completely fair, the instructions do clearly say that the stronger your water pressure the better it works. I think I have good strong pressure, and I did use a good spray nozzle that focused the jet well, but I still had the nasty film that looks gross on all the chrome. I tried it twice, then decided to just let the rest of the bottle sit in the garage and ferment for about 200 years. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I've never tried it (nor even heard of it before now). I've used numerous products over the years that never really stood up to their claims (at least not to my high expectations). Think I'll stick to what I know works... water and wash mitt...maybe a bit of dishwash soap and for those really greasy, road muck areas, some good old Fantastic and elbow grease. Chamois off and go crazy with the Lemon Pledge!

I have a bottle in my garage and I only use it once a year. Typically, I stay on top of my cleaning job on the bike and she gets a nice wipe/polish job after every other ride. Make sure when you do decide to use 'S100', do not use it on your blacktop driveway...it will discolor it.

I have a bottle in my garage and I only use it once a year. Typically, I stay on top of my cleaning job on the bike and she gets a nice wipe/polish job after every other ride. Make sure when you do decide to use 'S100', do not use it on your blacktop driveway...it will discolor it.

heh... considering what's been said to the negatives so far about S100 ... it's like drugs... "may cause this...may cause that.. don't take with this or that... must be taken with food" and so on... sheeesh, why bother LOL

I usually wash the bike with the a wash mitt and Mr. Clean Car Wash thingy with the demineralized rinse. This works well and I don't have to dry the bike off when I'm done. The other day I picked up a bottle of Bug-B-Gone when I was buying some Seafoam to get ready for winter. Well we had a decently warm day last week so I figured I would run up the the local car wash and give the bike a wash before I put her up. I grabbed the Bug-B-Gone and gave her a spray then washed her with the high pressure wand. All I can say is WOW. I haven't seen the bike that clean since she was on the showroom floor!

I you personally do not want the S100 brand due to several bad hype, one can try 'Simple Green'. I've used it on my wheels and hard to reach places and it worked wonders as well. As you all know, it is available at your local Wally Mart store.

I usually spray down the bug stuff with Bugs Be Gone and around the engine with Scrubbing Bubbles (yep the bath tub stuff w/o bleach, I it saw mentioned somewhere) and then wash with Turtle Wax Ice. Then a final polish with Plexus. I avoid putting any sort of wax/polish on any parts that get hot......maybe just my thinking but if its on there and with heat it will burn off and maybe discolor?

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and of all the suggestions my favorite is having the wife wash it but as that is unrealistic, I have found that if I use a damp mitt and wipe the bike down and then use Meguiers wax mist, let it dry and then wipe it off, she shines like a new penny and it is relatively easy. I spray the wax on an old t-shirt and wipe on-wipe off. The wheels are a bear to get to though.

Try not not use an old t-shirt, because it has polyester and may scratch the finish of your bike. Always use a microfiber rag to prevent scratches.

Good idea, I will do that. I just hated to not use all those t-shirts that oddly, keep shrinking around the belly area.

The next time you buy t-shirts, get the ones that are 100% cotton...so your Venture will benefit after you have outgrown them. :happy34:

Ride Safe.

Outgrown them? I'll have you know that at 45ish. I look just as good as I did at 44ish. It's my wife shrinking them. I only buy 100% cotton so I guess when I'm 46ish I'll have a good supply. I'm just glad wifey looks as good at 40 something as she did at 20. And the bike is a she.......aren't they all?