IGNORED

How long will it live?

I do wish I got to ride more. Except for regular but short rides on the Natchez Trace, I am pretty much limited to one long trip each summer (I would say 10,000 of my miles have been MS to AZ, MS to CO, MS to MT); I see no reason why a water cooled, well-maintained engine should not live as long as a car.

I have almost 100,000 miles on my '87 and had over that on my '85 when I sold it... neither show any ill effects such as internal crank, cam, piston, etc problems. I wouldn't be even thinking about this until it's nearing 200,000 (or more).

I sold my 2002 Venture to a friend about a year ago, I put 68,000 on the bike. He has put about 14,000 on it since I sold it to him, so that's around 82,000 on the bike now and the thing runs like new, no major repairs, no problems, no end in sight! He loves it.

I replaced my 2002 with a new 2007 Midnight. I have 15,000 on this one and it looks like another great ride.

I'ts not a Harley, you don't need a new one every 2 years!

Gene

I'm glad I saw this post, I was looking at a 2001 Sunday with 120,000 miles and was curious if it had "too many miles" on it. I't looks very clean, but the audio does not work. No other problems reported. asking $8200. WHat do you think?

I'm glad I saw this post, I was looking at a 2001 Sunday with 120,000 miles and was curious if it had "too many miles" on it. I't looks very clean, but the audio does not work. No other problems reported. asking $8200. WHat do you think?

I agree, WAYYYY too much money for those miles.

There are some awesome deals out there on used Ventures with low miles.

craigr

There is one in fitzgerald ga, with 278,000 on it, still a daily rider

its a 1999 venture, has had reg quaker state oil in it since purchased from martin motors.

Jim martin said they have put three clutchs in it but no other internal repairs.

They may whine but they do hold up well.

I have 175,000 on my 91 now, no major problems. I don't baby it, change the oil every 3000 miles and don't hesitate to take off someplace when able and opportunity presents itself!

I used to tell my wife I was going to wear this one out and get a new one ... now I tell her I am going to think about retiring this one at 200,000 and then think about getting a new bike! I am getting kind of used to this one ... when it's time, maybe find a low mileage 91 or 92 ...

Edited by HdHtr

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the replies. It's really funny in that I have had my RSTD a little over 4 years now and have never once seen anything I like more or wish I had. That is unusual for me. I have always traded things (motorcycles, cars, etc) every few years. There is nothing I would change on this motorcycle. I do not even hear the "whine" any more. Thanks again. Glad to hear it'll probably outlast me!

Too much for the miles, I got my 2001 a year ago with 2700 miles on it and only paid $8500.00 for it.

Good luck

I agree with others...waaaay too much for that much mileage! I got my 2002 in 2005 with 2400 miles on it for $10,500. (basically stole it)

As i posted the other day, I laid it down last Saturday and yesterday the insurance adjuster (Progressive) totalled it out at a value of $10,800 counting the extras and I bought it back for $3500.

Keep searching, there's a deal out there just waiting for you.

I think the real question here is not whether the RSTD will last 100,000 miles which it certainly can. It is will your RSTD last 20 years in your garage? (100,000miles / 5000miles/year= 20 years)

Like you said you are easily tempted.

Dave