IGNORED

Quick Release saddlebags

Can't find the thread but this is what I found

This was posted by Buddyrich back when, under "quick release saddle bag". Kike I said earlier this kit makes things alot easier not to mention no more stripped or rounded out screw tops. Some thought it was pricey but it is worth it in my book. Good luck !!

www.Mcmaster.com Thanks to RodSD for the tip on where to purchase these. You can go to Mcmaster and do a search on the part number to get a view

Pics below You can get by with the next size down on length on item2. You will need some RED loctite to put the knob on the stud. The longer ones are for the back-upper bolt

2 each 60765K332 Metric Steel Knurled Rim Knob, M6 X 1 Threaded Hole, 25 Mm Diameter

2 each 93210A018 Metric Black-Oxide Finish Steel Setup Stud, Round Shank, M6 Size, 80MM Length, 1MM Pitch

6 each 6390K52 Metric Phenolic Four-Arm Knob, M6 X 1 Threaded Stud, 32MM Dia, 30 Mm Stud Length

You may be able to get by with 70mm on that middle part

progress.gif edit.gif

I think I know what hes talking about and if he clicks on ebay links to the left menu bar,then clicks parts and accessories I saw them on page 22...I will look later and post the URL to it if not found. Tom....$30.00 for a set

OK I found the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-SADDLEBAG-QUICK-FASTENERS_W0QQitemZ330281024762QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330281024762&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by Tom
Found link to post

I think I know what hes talking about and if he clicks on ebay links to the left menu bar,then clicks parts and accessories I saw them on page 22...I will look later and post the URL to it if not found. Tom....$30.00 for a set

OK I found the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-SADDLEBAG-QUICK-FASTENERS_W0QQitemZ330281024762QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330281024762&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Very nice, just ordered a set myself.

Thanks!

I am not sure about this set. I just purchased a set and was unable to use half of the bolts, because the thread did not go far enought for it to tighten properly. I am using half the quick release and half of the original Hex bolts on both side bags.

:255:

I just recently purchased a set of the R-Mark Saddlebag Fasteners for my 05 and they fit great. Check to see if your saddlebags are sitting on something that is holding them up and away from the bracket. Mine fit with plenty of thread through the holes.

:think:

Unfortunately, I checked to make sure I seated it on the gaskets to ensure it wouldn't shake and rattle. I was taking my time on Saturday, because we were taking a ride to Alex, LA to spend the night visiting with a friend fixing to go to Iraq. Everything is seated correctly, just about a 1/8" to 1/4" short on the thread. Just didn't have time to compare the bolts side by side, since we were trying to get on the road.:think:

That was the first thing I considered when they arived. But there are only 2 different types of bolts. Two long ones for the back side wall where there is a spacer and then 2 matching handle bolts, that I presumed goes to the front side wall. The bottom bolts are all the same size. One set of the bottom bolts works fine, the other the thread is too short and the front side wall is too short as well.

May try to find someone that has a tool to extend the thread. Just worried I may end up breaking the plastic handle.

:think:

ARE WE USING THE RIGHT BOLTS IN THE RIGHT HOLE? THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT.:innocent:

Folks -

You want to put a kit together yourself, shoot me a PM and I will give you the part numbers you need.

Bob - We are 45 miles south of you. You ever want to come help press these things together, come see us. We make about minimum wage on these after eBay and Paypal fees, and our time in pressing these together - minus trips to the post office, etc. Come on down and I will be happy to pay you minimum wage to work for us! We do this around our regular jobs nights and weekends.

JV - If you bought these from us on eBay, and are not happy, we send a note out to everybody who buys any items from us, that we guarantee these for as long as you own your bike. These are all standard sizes and fit every Venture from 1999 to present. There is no reason these should not fit your Venture. Shoot me some photos of your bags and how they are sitting on your saddlebag mounts. There should be plenty of thread to spare on all of these. But what is important is to make sure we get these to work, or offer you a refund (what is your eBay id - PM me).

Just like most items, anybody can do anything themselves... just got to be willing to put in the time and effort! Our benefit is that we guarantee everything - stand behind everything - and even for folks who want to make these themselves, tried to price these at a level which was reasonable for folks who were waivering between putting a set together on their own, or buying from us.

Thanks folks and ride safe!

Roger & Mark

R-Mark Ventures

Guest BluesLover

I got mine from R-mark (hiliss) and didn't have any problems with them at all on the 06. Sure made cleaning those whitewalls a heck of a lot easier.

I understand that anyone can always make stuff themselves, but sometimes when you factor in your own time and effort, buying is a better option (besides, I am a) a total klutz :Avatars_Gee_George:and b) lazy as as lazy can be :whistling:; and c) I'd rather be out riding :happy34:.

Cheers,

Folks -

Bob - We are 45 miles south of you. You ever want to come help press these things together, come see us. We make about minimum wage on these after eBay and Paypal fees, and our time in pressing these together - minus trips to the post office, etc. Come on down and I will be happy to pay you minimum wage to work for us! We do this around our regular jobs nights and weekends.

Thanks folks and ride safe!

Roger & Mark

R-Mark Ventures

Got sweet tea? I don't work any where without access to the tea pitcher.

I also got the quick release bolts from R-Mark and they are great. Can take the bag off in less than a minute and go try to find all of those parts and do it yourself. Usually have to buy large quantities IF you can find them. Bought them on ebay received them in no time and installed them in no time. Job done. Thanks Mark. Going to order a set for a friend for Christmas gift.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

First, the quick releases are awesome. That's the good news.

They worked great on the right saddle bag, no problema whatsover.

However on the 2nd saddlebag, I can't get the screws out of the bag! They're stripping.

Even though I'm using the same allen wrench I used on the other side.

Tried spraying some WD-40, to no avail.

Any ideas?

If they are stripped already you can just grind the head off. Some people us vice grips to get a hold of them but that's tricky because the head is rounded.

Yeah, they aren't completely stripped yet so, I'm hoping a slightly larger size might do the trick, maybe.

So, if I grind off the head, then what? Drill it out?

I tried the vice grips but yup, because it's rounded, can't get a good bit on it, dang it.

Can you cut a slit across the top and use a flat head screwdriver?

Yeah, I like that Idea. Recommendation on what to use to cut said slit?

Also to be clear, it's the OLD allen bolts still in the left bag that are giving me the trouble, not the new quick-release. The new ones work great on the right bag.

Three options that I know folks have used:

(1) rotozip a slit in the head, and use a flat head driver to remove

(2) drill a hole directly across the head of the bolt, through that hole, insert a short nail (cut the nail down if needed), use channel lock pliers to grip the head (with the nail through it - helps the channel locks grip the head)

(3) spray the bolt (backside) with a penatrating fluid like PB blaster before you try to remove the bolt - this way, if it is rusted in, or somebody had used a threadlock, you have a fighting chance of getting the bolt back out. Keep a shop towel over your rear fender and bags when spraying any fluids just in case there are paint issues.

It can always be drilled, but I find you can cause more damage this way if you dont do it right. And you are working in a confined space within a really nice and expensive saddlebag.

You can try a rotozip. Might be a bit big to use, but it will do the job for sure. I was thinking more of a dremel. Might even be able to take a triangle shaped file to cut a slit too. I think the rotozip or dremel would be good. Good idea on the PB Blaster too.

Never thought about the nail idea. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever need to.

Another thought that I had to use recently is one of those Black/Decker(?) bolt back out kits. I bought one recently for the resevoir cover screws. One of the top screws was torn up, the screw sits flush so I couldn't cut a new slit. You take a drill to make a rounded surface, take one of the bolt back out pieces, take a hammer, rubber mallet, etc... hit it a couple times, and unscrew w/ a wrench, pliers, etc... Now that I am thinking about it, this is the same idea as the nail.