IGNORED

Dash Lights on an '83

This subject came up in another thread and I didn't want to hi-jack it. But for those of us that own '83's and ride at night anytime, for me anyway, the lights are really bright and almost blinding. I guess that's why the '84's came out with a dimmer knob... I wonder if giving them the red treatment might help tone things down a bit?? Anyone ever changed theirs out. Red is the only color that doesn't ruin your night vision. And red might just make the dash look kinda 'cool'..... The only drawback I can see would be that anything colored red on the dials will disappear at night. Gonna have to go out and check the guages.

Hi,

I have a pair of '84's but, for reasons I won't go into here, have had to contemplate non OEM replacement of the dash dimmer module. This is what I came up with as an alternative:

http://www.bakatronics.com/images/fk804.jpg

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383

Suggest that with a bit of creativity applied to mounting and wire splicing, it might be the solution to your problem. Cheap too!

I bought a couple but was able to repair my O.E.M. dimmer, so have not used them. Likely I will use them instead for controlling the heat to my electric gloves. The on line purchase was trouble free and they work as well when tested with a lighting load.

Hope this helps,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

Hi,

I have a pair of '84's but, for reasons I won't go into here, have had to contemplate non OEM replacement of the dash dimmer module. This is what I came up with as an alternative:

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383

Suggest that with a bit of creativity applied to mounting and wire splicing, it might be the solution to your problem. Cheap too!

I bought a couple but was able to repair my O.E.M. dimmer, so have not used them. Likely I will use them instead for controlling the heat to my electric gloves. The on line purchase was trouble free and they work as well when tested with a lighting load.

Hope this helps,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont.

I'm not that industrious Brian... read lazy... I'm looking at replacing a couple of dash lamps with red ones... Maybe 3..4 bulbs at the most.. Don't even have to remove the dash to do it. Kinda a plug and play operation... A dimmer would be nice, but doing any sort of mod is more than I want to get into...

The easiest mod Jack and you don't even have to touch your bike...........

paint your reading classes red...!

Kurt

:sign20:I already have a pair of those rose colored glasses. Doesn't help. But my expectations are higher....:sign woo hoo::rotf::rotf::15_8_211[1]: