IGNORED

Going out West

shadow

I'm starting to plan a trip out west for hopefully next spring or fall. I live in N.C. and want to spend about two weeks in the Las Vegas area. I'm planning on hauling my '93 VR and 2 Shadows. I thought maybe shipping the bikes and flying out, or maybe a train could take us and the bikes. Just started looking and wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with doing this. I may just drive and haul them myself. Anyone done this lately? Also anyone who lives or has been out there and could give me suggestions? I know of course we want to do the Grand Canyon and Hoover dam. How far is Yellow Stone? We don't have to stay in Vegas.We want to travel around out there and see the sites. My daughter went with a friend when she was 10 ann says we have to see the pink sand. Anyway, anything anyone can tell me wll be more than I know now.:hurts:

Shadow-

I don't know what to recommend as far as getting you and your bikes to Las Vegas but others will soon chime in.

Once you get to Vegas you can ride through So. Utah and see Zions, Bryce and Arches Nat'l parks. Arches is my favorite, but all are beautiful.

Yellowstone will be 12-15 hours riding from Vegas depending on your speed and backside:rotf: If you do decide to go to Yellowstone, there are a number of rides in that area as well (Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph and the park itself). You could always come join us for Venture West V next summer! http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=28271 We are in the process of finalizing the dates right now.

Good luck on your trip!!

Dave

Dan- There are lots of great places to visit in the Las Vegas area, both in and out of town. We also have a few neat VR members in residence there. Early spring or late summer/fall would probably be the best time to go. Hey...it's a dry heat... :) Trailering would be your best bet, and the cheapest with three bikes, and then be fresh for riding the area. If you happen to make the trip in June, we might possibily have a VRRally in Cody Wy mid month. Riding Yellowstone and the Beartooth, plus watching Old Faithfull just might fit into your schedule. :thumbsup2:

It is all good. Like Condor says "It's a dry heat" so much so that if you have any arthritis or bursitis you will feel like a million bucks there. Once you start riding everything about the southwest is interesting if you've never been there before. The desolation was the thing that intrigued me the most. Miles and miles of nothing untouched by man other than no pot-holed roads that looks like they were laid out by a compass needle. Go. You will never regret it. I have to stop. I'm reminiscing to much if this keeps up I might just throw in the towel here and move. NAW, I'd miss the rain,cold,snow,salt,endless sunless gloom & taxes that western NY has to offer!:mo money::thumbsup2::D

Oh yeah, sorry Condor but Old Faithful was the biggest waste of time. Highly overrated. It's losing its steam. Its unusual but not worth the wait. Tourist trap.

Edited by mraf

I live approx 50 miles from Las Vegas (Pahrump). I with spring of fall time for visiting out this way. All the places mentioned above are within about 300 miles with the exception of Yellowstone - approx 750 miles. There is also death valley which is a great ride, or you can continue thru death valley and ride up thru Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop Ca. Beautiful country for riding. In Vegas there is Red Rock Canyon also.

You can keep yourself busy while visiting out this way.

Bob

I live approx 50 miles from Las Vegas (Pahrump). I with spring of fall time for visiting out this way. All the places mentioned above are within about 300 miles with the exception of Yellowstone - approx 750 miles. There is also death valley which is a great ride, or you can continue thru death valley and ride up thru Big Pine, Lone Pine, Bishop Ca. Beautiful country for riding. In Vegas there is Red Rock Canyon also.

You can keep yourself busy while visiting out this way.

Bob

I didn't know there were two members in Pahrump. But yes, he said all the right places. Even though I'm 550 miles away, been through all these places several times and it's great riding. Hope you have a safe fun trip, have relatives there and do Vegas every year. :mustache:

Thanks for the responses, hope to get alot more. Talking to the wife last night and looks like it'll be next fall. Nothing definite of course, but my last one graduates in May and there's a chance my union will go on strike in Aug. so we'll have to see how that plays out. I'm thinking we'll trailer to somewhere in the Vegas area and maybe a week later move north or south. Like Texas or Wyoming, thinking out loud right now. I won't to ride route 66, just to say I did. Anything else out that way that's a must se let me know. Thanks Dan

You get to The Texas area and I am at Home I will take you on some great riding around here but depends on time of the year as Late August will be riding bike to Custer,SD,Yellowstone,Glacier,Seattle , PCH to LA then Las vegas ,Grand Canyon then Home.

On your trip out west, I think you would be wowed by going through the Lake Tahoe area its got some gorgeous scenery to see. I stopped in last August on the way to VentureWestIv and met up with DKknight and PrincessM who were fantastic hosts and tour guides.

Heres a link to some pics of the trip if you want to have a peek at My trip to VentureWestIV the camera doesnt do Lake Tahoe justice because you lose the scale of the scenery.

http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/VentureWestIV200802

Brian