IGNORED

deer hide or sheep skin?

painterman67

Being an avid deer hunter i was thinking about useing a soft tanned deer hide and was wondering if this would work as well as using a sheepskin. I have a friend who will tan the hide for me for free ( Trade out for some meat) just not sure how this would hold up..

No that holding up is a problem per say, I can always have another made.. I guess the main question is will it work as well as the sheepskn.

I just think it would give a col look to the bike.

david :fingers-crossed-emo

For long riding days I use a piece of sheepskin on the drivers seat. Not fastened to anything. My weight keeps it in place and there is no sliding whatsoever. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter!

Please....no comments about the weight of my butt as I am a sensitive guy.....:rasberry:

I got a sheep skin from IKEA and love it. I bought a gromet kit from Walmart amd put a couple of groments in the skin then used a couple of pieces of raw hide lace to secure it to the bike so it dosen't walk away while I'm away from the bike.

LOL! I tried that with my 2nd piece of sheepskin....Thieves up here carry knives....:(

one of the main reasopns i'm considering the deer hide is the availability. I looked into Ikea.com and they are saying that this product is not availible online. The nearest ikea store is in washinton or atlanta. So the ride would cast more than it's worth. I've seen a few on ebay but unsure of the size. Ikea says they size in large or small but the ones on ebay are approximately 37 inches.

Plus I've been thinking the brown hide on the burgany bike would look really good.

Up here in Iceland we use Polar bear skin!

Now there's a unique idea. Can it be shipped to NC..........................:dancefool:

No problem Painterman. Just give me a couple of weeks since I will have to go out on the ice and find one. If they are not around would you settle for a walrus hide? :Laugh:

David....If you do go with a piece of sheepskin be prepared to lock it up whenever ya stop on the road to eat and such....I have had 2 pieces stolen right off the bike seat because I failed to lock em up. :shock3:

You boys got it all wrong , make a pair of sheepskin lined underwear ! It's concealed and I don't think anyone has stolen a pair of underwear ! :1hotsht:

BEER30

Actually the deer skin makes excellent gloves, but the real strength of the sheepskin it the depth of the wool. It lets air flow through which not only cools but dries as well. I think using deer skin as a seat cover could really be a nice alternative to leather or plastic.

You boys got it all wrong , make a pair of sheepskin lined underwear ! It's concealed and I don't think anyone has stolen a pair of underwear !

BEER30

Beer30

It is clear you did not hear about the guy in Iceland who was brought to court for stealing womens underwear that had been hung out for drying. He had collected 190 of them. In court hearing he claimed this was a passion and he was simply building up a collection. He even stated that he was in the process of putting up a museum. The news said that it was the funniest court hearing ever and even the judge was crying his eyes out in laughter. He got a very mild verdict and was instructed to go to therapy. So what is the moral of the story? Even your underwear is not safe from thieves!

Beer30

It is clear you did not hear about the guy in Iceland who was brought to court for stealing womens underwear that had been hung out for drying. He had collected 190 of them. In court hearing he claimed this was a passion and he was simply building up a collection. He even stated that he was in the process of putting up a museum. The news said that it was the funniest court hearing ever and even the judge was crying his eyes out in laughter. He got a very mild verdict and was instructed to go to therapy. So what is the moral of the story? Even your underwear is not safe from thieves!

I can understand the humor in panty theft , heck I confiscated a few pair myself in my lifetime . But what I'm implying is that it is hard to lift a pair of undies while one is wearing them !

BEER30

It is the wool that makes the sheepskin work so well. Cool in summer and warm in winter. And when you move, the wool moves with you which reduces friction on your behind. Lambskins (softer wool and not itchie) are used to prevent bedsores for bedridden patients.

Guest tessa c2
:confused24: the itchies and here i have walways wore jeans under my chaps, know one thing for sure, sure wouldn't have that on the bike going to work, guys there would harass a person the rest of my life, and probly send me a pair of velcro gloves for a christmas present, ha ha , and Jonas, i can see that would have been a good day in court, :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I can understand the humor in panty theft , heck I confiscated a few pair myself in my lifetime . But what I'm implying is that it is hard to lift a pair of undies while one is wearing them !

BEER30

that may solve the theft problem....but what does one do about the male sheep studs following them around on their hind legs??:shock3:

:confused24: the itchies and here i have walways wore jeans under my chaps, know one thing for sure, sure wouldn't have that on the bike going to work, guys there would harass a person the rest of my life, and probly send me a pair of velcro gloves for a christmas present

I wouldn't be surprised, if someone here sends you some, after mentioning that.........

:stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: