IGNORED

Stator power output

Ok so here is an interesting question, I have an 84 venture royale I had it sitting idling and the voltage guage kept going a lil lower then the engine stalled out. the bike was running for a bit I was trying to work the cob webs out from not running for so long. my question is does the stator on the venture not put out alot of power at a low idle? I think it does idle a lil low so I was thinking it might not be putting out enough power unless I raise the idle. when I rolled on the throttle the power came up so it was produceing enough power if i was riding it. is this common for the venture or is my idle just set too low?

The voltage will get low enough to cause the engine to quit but not with the stator working properly. Even at a real low idle I don't think that can happen.

Are you able to start the bike after it quits running without jump starting it? If you can then it's probably just an idle issue.

These things idle pretty fast and if you have junk in the carbs they may just be shutting down from the dirt etc.

Jerry

ok my estimation is that i'm in the range of maybe 500 rpms right now. my guages don't read the rpms all that acurately. i had to jump the bike to get it to run. still has a hard time starting so it takes a few tries to get it going, so i jumped it to get it going instead of killing the brand new battery i put in.

I was talking to Squidley yesterday (just b-4 he and Lonna fell off the face of the earth) and he said there is an upgrade for the 1st gen stator. I don't remember what company he said makes it, but I plan to find out when he finds his way back to this planet in a couple of weeks.

Hey,

500 RpM on Idle is too low to produce a fair Ammount of Loading Amps. If everthing on the Bike, as Carbs, Carb-Balancing, Plugs, Spark-Wires, electrical Connectors is well maintaned, you could run it at 500 RpM Idle, but imho, it's too low. I set mine at 900 RpM, that's a fair Value and better to Handle, especially when riding 2-up. Our Engines are not designed to run them as an agricutural Tractor ....

While you're holding your Breath, why just not give your DMM a Shot and check the Voltages on your Bike ?

Should be around 15 Volts AC at the Output Side of the Stator, measured each two of those 3 Wires against each other. The Value isn't the priority, all threee Measurements should show nearly same Voltages. Resistance from those Wires versus Ground should be infinte.

On the DC-Side, there should be at least 12.2 to 12.8 Volts across the Battery-Posts, when the Motors not running. While the Engines runs, there should be at least 12.8 Volts on the Post, the more the better. If there are more than 15 Volts, the R/R is shot.

As you're taking the Measurement, check the Connector from Stator to Regulator/Rectifier and clean then properly. If you have some Dielectric Grease by the Hand, it isn't a fault to use it here anyways. Also the Connector from R/R to the Wiring Harness could be cleaned and greased for saving the Contacts Life.

all the info I needed its what i kinda figured. I didn't think the bike should sound like the lawnmower. now the real trick is finding out which on the screws on the carbs controles idle. I realy need to buy a manual for this thing. lol

Idle Screw is on the left side, in the middle between the two Carb-Bowl, which are seen from the Outside. It's below the Bowls and comes from vertical bottom and shows right upwards. The Screw is silver and has a big Head to move it with the Fingers.

Manual can be found the 1Gen-Section here ....

Tiny84,

Here is a link to the service manual in pdf format. http://labs.trunkful.com/8385servicemanual.pdf

Juggler has hosted these manuals for download on his site just download it and save it on your harddisk. The idle adjustment is located between the carbs on the left side of the bike and has a plastic knob, don't mix it up with the sync screws which have slotted heads.

Don't mess with the Sync Screws ( one on left, two on right ) Unless you have mercury stiks, or the morgan carb tune.

Just the Idle Adjust.

You might also have to adjust the Throttle cables after you do the

Main Idle Adjust Screw.