IGNORED

Pure-One PL14612 vs PL14610 & fit?

I LOVE the Oil Filter Purolator "Pure-One".

I have seen the PL14612 mentioned here as the equivalent stock replacement.

My question is the PL14610 is 3/4" Longer than the above stock 2.5" thus 3/4" of extra superior filter media.

Will it fit?

FYI: I climbed under RSV 2008 and measured about 1.25" between existing 2.5" Filter and the Frame. Approaching 600 mi Oil Change will be using Shell Rotellta T-5w40 from here on out.

Any additional 2 cents welcome too. :pushups:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE the Oil Filter Purolator "Pure-One".

I have seen the PL14612 mentioned here as the equivalent stock replacement.

My question is the PL14610 is 3/4" Longer than the above stock 2.5" thus 3/4" of extra superior filter media.

Just because the can is taller, does not mean there is more filter media.... I would recomend cutting the two filters apart and doing some forensics....

Approaching 600 mi Oil Change will be using Shell Rotellta T-5w40 from here on out.

Are you going to use the Synthetic (Blue jug) or the Dinosaur (White jug) version of Totellta T?

Also lube your splines with some Honda Moly60 while you are there, and I change the gear lube in the rear end with every oil change as tehre is so little gear lube in there and it is easy to replace...

Just because the can is taller, does not mean there is more filter media.... I would recomend cutting the two filters apart and doing some forensics....

Are you going to use the Synthetic (Blue jug) or the Dinosaur (White jug) version of Totellta T?

Also lube your splines with some Honda Moly60 while you are there, and I change the gear lube in the rear end with every oil change as tehre is so little gear lube in there and it is easy to replace...

Interesting I WILL NOW cut 2 open and report back...

Rotella-T SYN in Blue-Jug 5w-40 for Cooler Michigan area $22.00 / gal at Wally World...

Yes will be replacing rear end gear lube with SYN-80/90 Gear Lube...

Lube Splines :think: can I even see them with out removing Tire??? I was going to have dealer do that at my 600mi Service (((The reason for replacing Lube myself is to save $$$ on the 600mi Service))). Thanks K-Squid :bowdown:

Edited by frogmaster

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

This site here shows the PL14610 cut open. It's full of media from top to bottom. 92 square inches. He also has the Super Tech filter next to it and you can see the super tech filter does not have as many pleats and even though it is almost as tall, it only has 49 square inches of filter.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Images/OilFilters3.jpg

Lube Splines :think: can I even see them with out removing Tire??? I was going to have dealer do that at my 600mi Service (((The reason for replacing Lube myself is to save $$$ on the 600mi Service))). Thanks K-Squid :bowdown:

You have to take the rear tire off to lube the splines as you have to remove the drive shaft to get to the front spline.

The procedure is in the service manual.

I would recommend Honda Moly60 on all the splines!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to do all of my own wrenching as who would probably do a better job, the mechanic on a time clock or the person who rides the machine?

It is also a relaxing activity for me as I drive a desk all day at work.

flb_78 ,

Thanks for the photo of the cut open filter!!!!!

YES... Its was a tight fit but nice to know I have that extra 3/4" cleaning my Rotella-T 5w-40 SYN for the next 6,000

But DANG the 3.9 Qt is surely pushing the MAX fill level...:shock3: has anyone or anybody know of "known issues" running near max?

(((I do not think yamaha engineers would set the "max" level so close to a seal or gasket failure, so that is not my worry))) :confused24:

2 cents please

You will not blow out any seals or cause any gaskets to leak. Unless it's too the extreme, oil level has no effect on oil pressure. Overfilling will cause some oil to blow out the crank vent in the valve cover. I fill mine on the centerstand to the center of the site glass.

Thinking that the Purolator is a car oil filter, I found a link for FRAM motorcycle filters that will fit the Venture. It is FRAM motorcycle oil filter model PH6017A and it is the same filter that I used on my last bike...the Vulcan.

Here is the link. http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/street_fram_yamaha.html

I can buy this moto filter from my local Advance Auto store.

There are many of us who believe that Fram is such a huge POS that we will never use one in any application. I won't go into the details here since they are so easy to find with a simple web search on Fram quality. Just thought I'd throw out that heads-up here so anyone who doesn't already know about the issues can do some simple research and make their own informed decision. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Totally agree on Fram being anal extrusion. I cut one apart and compared it to a Nissan filter one time. I was surprised that they can even charge us money for those things. I will say that I have read online that the high end (more expensive) Fram filters are supposed to be as good as a normal filter but I'll never use them since they sold junk for so long.

:thumbdown:

FYI, Nissan filters are very well built and even have the correct bypass pressure for bikes. And they fit! I'm running one on my Road Star now.

Nissan part# 15208-65F0C and at 14psi it falls in the center of the Yamaha pressure spec of 11.3-17.1 psi. 15208-9E000 is the same filter but a bit longer for more capacity.

:happy34:

Edited by BigBoyinMS

Friends do not let Friends use FRAM.

BONUS INFO.... OK my story:

Dealer calls me at the 600mi Service (I Did Lube and Filter) Dealer did Carb Syn and Idle adjustment. Get this.... guy says what is that yellow filter? I proudly say Purolator "Pure-One"... He then goes into the Yammie Filter Lecture then says he seen lots of Issues with FRAM's and SUPERTECH's from Wally World.

Then I see this "NON YAMMIE FILTER" quoted in the tech section on my paperwork. I WAS PISSED when I picked it up I ask for this guy by name, he was off that day... Lucky him. I would like to add my own comment "PUROLATOR PURE-ONE meets and surley EXCEEDS that Yammie Filter". :stickpoke:

FYI, I stopped in at my local Advance Auto Parts today to get some seafoam and other stuff, picked up the purolater for $5.88 and they have a $2 mail-in rebate for all of the Purolater Pure One filters so $3.88 is a pretty good price for a quality filter.

There seem to be a lot of people who likes FRAM filters and there are also those who dislike FRAM filters. I've been lucky so far (knocking on wood) that I've been using FRAM for the longest time on my cars and previous bike. My '95 SHO that has a Yamaha engine has almost 200K and lived on FRAM filters from day one. My '08 Prius has had 3 oil changes already and is currently living on FRAM filter. I still have a couple FRAM PH6017A left in my garage and may use that on my first oil change on the Venture.

The only other thing that I can say about using Fram is...

it's a good thing engines are so well built and oil is so good these days. They are so good you could probably do without a filter. And you pretty much are with a Fram. (Did I just type that? :whistling: ) :witch_brew:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I was in Auto Advance and looked at the purolator 14610 and 14612. There are two filters. One is gold in color and the other is in white. The gold one says it is 99.5% efficient. I am assuming the gold one is the one to buy. It is around $6. Could someone confirm this. JR

I was in Auto Advance and looked at the purolator 14610 and 14612. There are two filters. One is gold in color and the other is in white. The gold one says it is 99.5% efficient. I am assuming the gold one is the one to buy. It is around $6. Could someone confirm this. JR

If I am not mistaken, PL14612 is the same size as the OEM and the same size as FRAM PH6017A motorcycle oil filter. Unfortunately when I was at my local Advance Auto parts store, their shelves is all of the 14612...(man this stuff sells!).:thumbsup2:

There are 2 levels of Purolator filters. The white ones are the discount filters. The Gold ones are the "Pure One" filters. They used to be blue, but now they put a "gripper" coating on them that is yeller.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received new PL14610 filters. The gold surprised me at first since my last ones were blue. They are gold textured finish now and the box now claims 99.9% efficiency at 40 microns.

The longer filter does make it tough to use a metal band type filter wrench. I take off the single bolt holding one end of the metal band to the handle and then feed the band around the filter and slip the bolt back in and loosen the filter.

These days I tighten the filter by hand far enough so I do not need to use a wrench except to remove it, when it will also get dented. The textured coating should make it much easier to hand tighten it fully.

The filters are made in the USA, possibly Fayetteville, NC according to the label.

- Mike