IGNORED

Decided not to buy 2007 venture

Sorry, just have to comment on the above.

It is a great thing if a person has enough money "on hand" to go out and pay cash for such things. Unfortunately, most of us don't. Therefore, it makes sense to borrow the money so we can have and enjoy what you lucky people in a minority group have. This does not mean we cannot afford it, it simply means we don't have that much cash laying around. When we can't afford it is when our monthly debt exceeds our income or, commonly referred to "negative cash flow".

To blatantly state that those who borrow "can't afford it" and infer that those who do are "dumb" is just a bit ignorant and suggests an "I'm better than you are" complex IMHO.

Do you own your home? If so, did you pay cash for it? I think not.

Sorry for venting a bit...I know, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Yeah, what he said....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my 2007 RSV in July of 2007 for $13,900. They are going for about $13,500 right about now.......

Total depreciation of $400 for 14 months of ownership.

Your mileage may vary.

Sorry to bust your bubble but I traded my 07 in on the Ultra. The bike was 8 months old and had 5387 miles on it. The blue book trade in was 11,495 (high value) I paid 17,800.00 in Texas for the bike 8 months before. That's a 6K + loss. There's plenty of used 07 for sale some on this site and their going to take as much if not more of a loss. This is not to say that you can get a better buy depending on where you live. Everyone knows that a Harley will bring more money then a Venture the mojority of the time.

Kelly Blue Book Resale value:

2007 Harley Ultra Classic FLHTCU $17,100.00

2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture $12,250.00

This is a great site with lots of friendly, helpful people. This is why I keep coming back even though I don't ride a Venture anymore.

I don't know how this thread got to be about bike bashing, something that usually does not happen here but it did.

I never bashed the Venture, just read thru this thread. In fact I have always said the Venture is a great bike and I enjoyed mine. I never BASHED it so why are some of you insistent on bashing the Ultra?

Lets move on.

Jim

Going back to the original question “any suggestions”... I’ve got one...

Anyone lending money wants securities for their financial considerations and will often hold a lean / collateral when doing so. They also assess the risk and like when the purchaser has an invested interest (because it reduces risk).

Having said that a new bike could be worth anywhere up to around $17,000 (give or take). The purchase price of the used bike (supposedly like new with only 500 +/- miles) is only $11,000. That’s a difference of $6,000. Suppose the vendor gave you a receipt for $14,000 stating that he received $3,000 non-refundable down payment, balance to be paid in full by ‘whenever’. It would now appear that not only are you saving $3,000 off the price of a new bike but that you have also invested a $3,000 down payment. All you need is $11,000 to close the deal. Say what you want but the reality is that the bike is arguably worth that much anyways. Just because you got a good deal it doesn’t mean the bike is worth less. The bottom line is that you must be able to afford not only the $11,000 but everything else that goes with it like insurance and your travel to go get the bike etc. Getting the money is easy, paying it off is the task. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I never bashed the Venture, just read thru this thread. In fact I have always said the Venture is a great bike and I enjoyed mine. I never BASHED it so why are some of you insistent on bashing the Ultra?

I BASHED my toes on the kitchen table the other day, and now I have an ULTRA big toe...does that count? (sorry, just tryin to lighten the mood...I agree with ya 100%):smash2:

I think there is a bike out there or what ever for everyone thats why there are so many diffrent ones to choose from. You have a choice and so get what makes you happy not what everyone around you have or try to make you happy. Harley makes some great looking bikes and have great shirts and so on but just wasnt what we wanted we wanted more room and most bang for our buck so we wnet with the RSV.

There's a lot to be said for no payments. I tried to get a loan for mine and the credit crunch was on. Half way through their collection of a pint of blood and DNA sample I bailed on the process. Had to dig DEEP into the savings but I'll put what would have been a payment back in each month. I also saved a ton on insurance since I don't have to cover it for every bug strike. If you can get creative, cash is the only way to go.

I agree with paying cash...if a person can BUT....

The interesting thing about this is, you're still making payments even though you're just paying your savings back, it's still payments.

If a person doesn't winn the lottery, how do we accumulate a large reserve of cash?... we make payments whenever we can to our savings or some other "place'. Over time, we build up a bunch of money... let's say $15000 ... how long did it take? 3 years...4 years...or more? So, in all that time, you didn't have whatever it is that you were saving it for...in this case, a new scoot. Meantime, I got some bank to "loan" me the money and during those 3 or 4 years that you were socking your money away into your savings, I was out enjoying myself on my new scoot.

No matter how you look at it, you're still going to be making payments to somewhere. The only 2 "real" differences are: a) one method you make a little interest versus paying a little interest and b) one method you can enjoy the purchase NOW versus waiting 3 or 4 years. Is the extra interest paid worth the enjoyment NOW... you bet it is because, heaven forbid, half way through those 3 or 4 years of saving, I could DIE.

I live for today...not tomorrow and I want to enjoy as many toys as my income TODAY will allow me. Furthermore, that loan I took out... it's LIFE INSURED which means, if I do die, it's paid off and my beneficiary now has my scoot free and clear.

One problem I have is that I have financing avail through yamaha credit, however, I have to purchase the bike from a yamaha dealer. this guy is not a yamaha dealer. So I may buy the new 07 at a dealer. Anyone have any good ideas for me?

Dunno if it was already said (didn't read through it all, getting ready for work)....but have the seller take the bike to a dealer for consignment...toss the dealer $500 for the trouble and you still get a good deal on the bike while they get an easy profit (win-win). It is what I did with mine. Private seller wanted $5500, took it to the dealer and tossed them a "nickel", and got it all (TT&L, new helmet, etc) rolled into a single deal for the bank...

*edit*...almost forgot...that is $0 down last Dec...

Edited by AmnChode

There are still lots of good deals out there for a used or brand new Venture. I just got mine yesterday from a dealership in New Castle, PA. It was a 300 mile ride, but I really do not mind. For an '07 Blue Venture with 1 mile on the odometer and OTD price was $13500, I couldn't pass out the deal.

Sorry, just have to comment on the above.

It is a great thing if a person has enough money "on hand" to go out and pay cash for such things. Unfortunately, most of us don't. Therefore, it makes sense to borrow the money so we can have and enjoy what you lucky people in a minority group have. This does not mean we cannot afford it, it simply means we don't have that much cash laying around. When we can't afford it is when our monthly debt exceeds our income or, commonly referred to "negative cash flow".

To blatantly state that those who borrow "can't afford it" and infer that those who do are "dumb" is just a bit ignorant and suggests an "I'm better than you are" complex IMHO.

Do you own your home? If so, did you pay cash for it? I think not.

Sorry for venting a bit...I know, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Oh yeah, Im rich....pffft. whatever. I bought my 99 for 6500. I let someone else take a hit of the resale. My 89 van cost me 2600. I rent right now because I don't have the cash to make a decent down payment on land and a house.

It's amazing that the only things financed were land and houses up until 60 years ago. Now anyone with a signature can get a credit card and "finance" a pack of gum. Today's entitlement mentality is the problem now a days. Everyone thinks they deserve a brand new bike, brand new 50,000 truck/SUV, quarter million dollar house.

I buy used and save a boatload of money. That's not dumb. It's stupid to put yourself under someone's boot to get a shiny new bike or shiny new car when there are plenty of good used ones that can be had for much less.

Y'all keep financing those new bikes and selling em after 3 years. That way there'll be plenty of good used bikes for me to buy.:rasberry:

It's stupid to put yourself under someone's boot to get a shiny new bike or shiny new car when there are plenty of good used ones that can be had for much less.

This type of comment is completely unnecessary. A LOT of people here have financed cars, bikes, boats, many other things. If they are living within their means and that is what makes them happy then it's their business. Calling people stupid just because they have a different opinion is NOT necessary and needs to stop.

I got rid of my other bike simply to have a better ride and I was having so much trouble with the bags breaking bolts. The Venture has everything I was looking for in a bike...good looking, comfortable, has power, easy to maintain, fun to ride, got it for a good price...etc.

As of now, I plan to keep the Venture as long as it continous to run. :Venture:

Then you'd never have it. I'm affording mine just fine too.

Not true, I havent financed a bike or car in a loooong time. And don't intend to ever again...... If you can't buy it cash you can't afford it is right, particularly for a bike!

Sorry to bust your bubble but I traded my 07 in on the Ultra. The bike was 8 months old and had 5387 miles on it. The blue book trade in was 11,495 (high value) I paid 17,800.00 in Texas for the bike 8 months before. That's a 6K + loss. There's plenty of used 07 for sale some on this site and their going to take as much if not more of a loss. This is not to say that you can get a better buy depending on where you live. Everyone knows that a Harley will bring more money then a Venture the mojority of the time.

Kelly Blue Book Resale value:

2007 Harley Ultra Classic FLHTCU $17,100.00

2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture $12,250.00

I have no idea why you would have paid that much, but I spent about an hour negotiating and wrote a check for 14300 + T&L for a 07 RSMV in July 07 . Also, looking at this month's Motorcycle Consumer News, the bike is now worth 14635. Sounds fair to me!!!!!

I agree with paying cash...if a person can BUT....

The interesting thing about this is, you're still making payments even though you're just paying your savings back, it's still payments.

If a person doesn't winn the lottery, how do we accumulate a large reserve of cash?... we make payments whenever we can to our savings or some other "place'. Over time, we build up a bunch of money... let's say $15000 ... how long did it take? 3 years...4 years...or more? So, in all that time, you didn't have whatever it is that you were saving it for...in this case, a new scoot. Meantime, I got some bank to "loan" me the money and during those 3 or 4 years that you were socking your money away into your savings, I was out enjoying myself on my new scoot.

No matter how you look at it, you're still going to be making payments to somewhere. The only 2 "real" differences are: a) one method you make a little interest versus paying a little interest and b) one method you can enjoy the purchase NOW versus waiting 3 or 4 years. Is the extra interest paid worth the enjoyment NOW... you bet it is because, heaven forbid, half way through those 3 or 4 years of saving, I could DIE.

I live for today...not tomorrow and I want to enjoy as many toys as my income TODAY will allow me. Furthermore, that loan I took out... it's LIFE INSURED which means, if I do die, it's paid off and my beneficiary now has my scoot free and clear.

I am sure I will regret even commenting on this but I feel something has to be said. It is precisely this idea that gratification must be instant , now, now , now that gets people in trouble, and not only people, nations too....

"Make a little interest vs pay a little interest" - What blather !!!! add the interest you would have made to the interest you paid and now you have the true ammount you paid!!! whereas with a little patience and self control you could have subtracted one from the other!!

"I live for today...not tomorrow and I want to enjoy as many toys as my income TODAY will allow me" And that's the same thing that those who bought houses without down payments or real "loan qualifiers" said too!!! Look at how well that worked out for the whole country, I hope they are real proud of themselves!!!!