IGNORED

Venture vs Goldwing...which is best?

Who Dey

My neighbor got a call from someone the other day who knew that a gentleman has passed away and his widow was "getting rid" of his stuff. He now owns a MINT 1982 Wing with 70,000 km on it. I wanted to kill him!! LOL Dang it!!! It's gorgeous and runs like a top. He can fix stuff and has friends who can fix the rest so he's got it made. :D

The best part? He paid $1,000 for it. Yes, ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. :yikes:

Argh!!! Why can't we find deals like that????!!!!:bang head:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you check you will see that the Venture has more storage as far as the trunk and saddle bags than the wing. I have a 08 Venture and my step-dad has on 07 Wing and that is the first thing he noticed.

I'm not sure you will get any unbiased opinion to your question, seeing as this is a venture forum. But I will say, that my goal has always been to get to a Gold Wing eventually. They are pretty expensive, but extremely well engineered. The GPS, ABS, fuel injection, tons of storage, heated seats and grips, and all the other standard accessories. The 6 cylinder engine, is so well balanced and placed, that the bike feels much smaller, than its size appears. But, I just hope if I do get a Gold wing, you guys will still have me as a member here!

I think if you check you will see that the Venture has more storage as far as the trunk and saddle bags than the wing. I have a 08 Venture and my step-dad has on 07 Wing and that is the first thing he noticed.

Somebody is kidding themselves.

• 4 months later...

I rode a 2001 RSV for 17 years and 72,000 miles. Had to take a break to recover from shoulder problems. THis past March, I set out to find a new bike. Isat on them all. I was leaning towars the Triumph Rocket III, tride the Goldwing, a few Harleys, a Boulevard, Stratoliner, etc. When I got back on a Venture, I felt like I was "home".

The Goldwing has a closer seat, although you can buy a seat that gives you an inch or two. The rider area felt claustrophobic. The little foot pegs weren't ans comfortable as the RSV floor boards. Plus if you want to use the highway pegs, with the GW motor, you have to be able to do the splits. The GW looks OK, but when I put all the likes against the dislikes, I ended up with another Venture.

forbey

Well I went from a 83 VR to a 88 Wing. I liked the venture but would have liked more than one shock in the rear. The venture did handle well . But I bought my wing in the fall and made a winter project out of it . When I picked the bike up she was dirtyer than a dock qween waiting for the ships to come in. This spring I got it out and I really like the way it rides and the 6 cyl engine is nice. Time will tell i may still go to a newer venture.

Bull463

I love mine so much that I'm headed back to Michigan and show the member I bought her from ( Red Ryder ) how much I love it! Oh yea and I'm gonna see some family while I'm at it too. I figure to put on about 3500 miles or so give or take. As far as the leg room, standard floor boards, and the COMFY AS ALL HELL pillow top seat....the RSV can't be beat! Hey Squid...can I get another iron butt award?

I rode a 2001 RSV for 17 years and 72,000 miles. Had to take a break to recover from shoulder problems. THis past March, I set out to find a new bike. Isat on them all. I was leaning towars the Triumph Rocket III, tride the Goldwing, a few Harleys, a Boulevard, Stratoliner, etc. When I got back on a Venture, I felt like I was "home".

The Goldwing has a closer seat, although you can buy a seat that gives you an inch or two. The rider area felt claustrophobic. The little foot pegs weren't ans comfortable as the RSV floor boards. Plus if you want to use the highway pegs, with the GW motor, you have to be able to do the splits. The GW looks OK, but when I put all the likes against the dislikes, I ended up with another Venture.

forbey

Not trying to be a smart a**-- uhh--aleck, but would that mean you rode it until 2018?

Of course, we can only base our decisions on what we have owned or ridden in the past.

My choice...as the article asks us...if we could only have one, which would it be...mine would be yet another GL-1800 ABS. I have had three of these, a 2003 Wing that I rode to 107,781 miles in ONE year...a 2004 Wing that I rode to slightly over 80,000 miles in six months, and finally a 2006 Wing that I just traded in last September for my second 2006 RSMTD.

With a little over 300,000 miles on those 3 GL-1800's, I think they are a great sport-touring bike...heavy on the sport side. I equip my Wings to be endurance/long distance bikes, not your daddy's Wing that was meant for toy runs and light parades.

If you really must go from Seattle to New York City in under two days, then why not do it in comfort.

But...you folks that like your Ventures have your own point of view. Must be some reasoning behind it, eh?

:rotf:

I have both a 2004 Goldwing and a 2007 Venture Midnight. For me the Venture is my long distance ride of choice. The goldwing is smooth and quiet but lacks the room and creature comfort of the Venture Midnight. the I put three times the miles per year on the Venture compared to the goldwing. Goldwing 15k miles Venture 45Kmiles

BTW For Sale: 2004 Goldwing $12,300, 15K miles Very good shape, but will need tires. If I ever figure out how to post pictures on this site I will upload them.

Here is the Craigs list posting http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/2997726600.html

while I am at it

1992 Venture Royale: http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3042239012.html

2008 FJR 1300: http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3042239012.html

Al

Edited by motorcycle_1300
additional info added

Just completed a 9 day, 2800 mile trip on my '08 RSV. It was outstanding on both the interstate and the twisties in the Rockies. We had two days of strong cross-winds in Arizona. Beat me up. While gassing up, I talked to several GW riders who didn't seem to have a problem with the wind. I'm guessing that having the fairing on the fork rather than the frame makes a huge difference. Any thoughts from you 1st GENS?

I have both a 2004 Goldwing and a 2007 Venture Midnight. For me the Venture is my long distance ride of choice. The goldwing is smooth and quiet but lacks the room and creature comfort of the Venture Midnight. the I put three times the miles per year on the Venture compared to the goldwing. Goldwing 15k miles Venture 45Kmiles

BTW For Sale: 2004 Goldwing $12,300, 15K miles Very good shape, but will need tires. If I ever figure out how to post pictures on this site I will upload them.

Here is the Craigs list posting http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/2997726600.html

while I am at it

1992 Venture Royale: http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3042239012.html

2008 FJR 1300: http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/3042239012.html

Al

Since you have ridden both a new gen wing and a 1st gen VR, what would be your comparison between the two? I know the wing has time on it's side but as far as ride comfort, engine smoothness, etc.? Looked at your ads, both very nice bikes. The 92 is same color as my 90.:cool10:

Just completed a 9 day, 2800 mile trip on my '08 RSV. It was outstanding on both the interstate and the twisties in the Rockies. We had two days of strong cross-winds in Arizona. Beat me up. While gassing up, I talked to several GW riders who didn't seem to have a problem with the wind. I'm guessing that having the fairing on the fork rather than the frame makes a huge difference. Any thoughts from you 1st GENS?

Wife doesn't like crosswinds on my 90VR, never ridden a wing to compare it to.

I've had 2 1st gens, an '06 RSMV, and now a Wing.

From my experience I've found that the frame mounted fairing is much better in windy conditions than the handle bar mount.

That said, I've read others say the opposite LOL so I guess it's a matter of personal interpretation.

Guest scarylarry

Like anything else....Rent one for a weekend or week and do the test yourself..

That is what I did and base my decision off that..

Everyone has their favorite and the reason why, but only you know what is best fits you..

I much rather blow 200 to 400 dollars than 20k and be very unhappy with other people opinions..

Not that you can't get good advice here but the bottom line is what feels good under you..

Since you have ridden both a new gen wing and a 1st gen VR, what would be your comparison between the two? I know the wing has time on it's side but as far as ride comfort, engine smoothness, etc.? Looked at your ads, both very nice bikes. The 92 is same color as my 90.:cool10:

I am going to have to dissapoint you here, I have not done much riding on the 92 VR. I picked it up as a project bike, have never even had it registered. The only riding I have done on it was mid night test rides to see how much more work I needed to do to get it on the road. I am retiring Jan 1 and have run out of time to finish fixing up this bike. I do think the 92 looks classier than the wing but the wing is a dozen years newer with 6oocc extra. Both bike bodies are made of plastic pannels. Even though the wing is a dozen years newer the plastic on the venture polishes up to a like new appearance, and so does the wing.

If you are tall 6' plus and old with knees that don't like to be in one position for hours at a time I would think twice about a wing, unfortunately the 92vr has the same drawback

Thats the primary reason I have chosen tho sell the three I wish to sell and keep my 2nd gen Venture midnight It is big enough for a tall man 6'1" 34" inseam 200lbs

Al