IGNORED

Wanted! for 07 RSTD

Guest Shep

Hello everyone - Shep here and I am new to the community and just bought a brand new 2007 RSTD from the dealer. I need a few things and thought I would start here. Moderators - if this is the wrong place - please direct me to the correct forum or fell free to just more this post.

Here is what I need.......

1. Pipes - gotta have some rumble - will to trade brand new RSTD's for something with rumble :sun:

OK - solved - bought the Baron 4-2-4's and so far - love 'em!

2. Luggage rack - momma needs more room...

Bought one from Alan here on the forums :>)

3. Would like to lower an inch or so - so that I can get my gelpad on and still touch the ground.

Had Rick Butler modify my seat (good job Rick!)

4. I need some longhorn offsets (have pegs) so I can cool my feet off :)

Done! - Went with Kury's

5. Wife needs her floorboards a little lower and forward - I am open to suggestions (inventive and cheap is always good).

Found a good mod - but will need to do this myself..

(check out this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28341)

Got them done and working - now need to contour, sand and paint.

6. How about lightbars and lights? I am a former Boulevard C-50 owner and had them on my bike - would like them on my RSTD - where can I get them?

Ordered a set of Yamaha light off Ebay.

7. Install Stebel Horn

Got that done this week!

8. Bought and installed backrest (very nice addition).

9. Ordered and installed - Flanders 650-08783 pull backs.

That should keep me busy for a while :cool10:

Last question:

Does the community (forums) here have a place where new owners of RSTD's can get a list of "mods" - perhaps part #'s used in those mods and maybe even a respective "cost" analysis?

On the Volusiariders forums we had a couple of very useful forums - one called "swap meet" - for trading parts and the other was "Custom Mods" - that owners had done to their bikes. We very helpful to me when I first signed on - because many had "gone before me".

Thanks ahead of time for all your help - I look forward to getting to know you folks and to the fellowship!

Shep

Edited by Shep
More updates on progress...

Shep,

Some of your questions have several answers as some folks like one thing and others like something else. Here is my take on them.

1. There are several mufflers available. Baron's makes a nice set of two into four that look and sound good. As for single style, I really like the Khromewerks. The quality is excellent and they have a good deep sound. They are pretty loud though. I've had several different mufflers on my bike and they were my favorite before I got tired of LOUD and went back to stock.

2. Some folks here have bought one from JC Whitney and it fits fine. Reports are though that the chrome isn't that great. Personally, I like the one from Yamaha as well as any.

3. The only lowering kit that I know of is sold by Baron's. I think it lowers 1 1/2 inches. Another option is to lower the FRONT by looseing the fork clamps and sliding them up about an inch. I peraonally would try that first. These bikes already set a bit low in the rear and many of us have installed "leveling links" to raise the rear about an inch. It really improves handling. Lowering the front an inch may help get it down a bit as well as leveling out the bike.

4. Kuryakyn sells clamps that most of us use for our pegs.

5. Several here have looked for adapters to move the passenger pegs down and forward. There is a recent thread here by Juggle who tried a couple of options that were supposed to do just that but they didn't. There has been no easy answer yet.

6. For lightbar and lights, you are back to Yamaha again. I don't think there is an aftermarket solution.

There is no specific area for list of mods with part numbers at this time. The tech library has some information along those lines but not exactly what you are referring to. It is a good idea though and one that we should consider.

No parts exchange per se. There is an area where we post up parts that we have available to help members who may need them. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Emack had a luggage rack. Don't know if he still does or not.(been a month or so since I talked to him)

BUB sleeper slip-on pipes. Sound great have a little rumble at idle and cruising, but - kick it and they really open up and sound great.

You didn't ask for this but...I figure I'll throw it in anyway

Watch the back brakes close - I have gone through 3 sets of pads each at around 8000 miles or so. (My first ones got into the rotor so I had to replace it.) They will probably wear out the inside first which is really hard to see so if the outside gets anywhere near close, pull the saddle bag and check the inside. My fronts went 25k and I replaced them basically just for fun - They would have done another 10k easy I think.

You will read a lot about Avon tires on here and I am sure they are great but you don't see much about Michelin Commanders - they have been a really good tire too. and a little cheaper around here.

The only real way to move the passenger floorboards down and forward is to make your own. Modify the brackets to get what you what. Several of us on here have wished for this. So far, nobody makes any such thing. Sooner or later, I will be modifying mine for my wife.

Didn't Jercoupe post something about modifying his for Bev.???

Thanks gents for the replies - I really do appreciate it.

Can any of you guys tell me the basic sound difference between the Baron 4-2-4's and the BUB "sleepers"?

For example which is louder?

Which has a better, richer deeper "tone"

Thanks again,

Shep

Hi Shep,

Couple of comments, first about the muffllers that have a rumble. get a set of HD roadking mufflers, slash cuts, and drill them out. You should be able to get a set for free or almost free and they sound great. Squidly makes a set of adapters to mount them, and well worth the $.

I've heard those barons, and they are loud! Sound great though--

About lowering, I put the barons rear lowering kit on my 05 RSTD and I love it. i was going to lower the front also, but decided that I like the feel the way it is. One comment about lowering the front of a RSTD, you can't slide the tubes up an inch like you can on a venture. Different set up, with the guage and all. You would have to buy the barons front lowering kit.

I also put on the Yamaha driving lights, very nice, and I know there is a tech tip on doing it.

Steve

1. Pipes:
    a. Loud: Barons Bag Slash: BA-1030-00
    b. Pretty Loud: Baron's 4:2:4: BA-1000-00
    c. Quiet to Loud: R-Mark Harley Muffler Conversion kit (look on ebay) + stock RK mufflers (or any of the CVO mufflers.
    NOTE: You will need some high temp RTV sealer for these applications.
  2. Luggage Rack:
    a. Yamaha: STR-5VP51-30-00
    b. Custom World International: CWI-05-2622
    NOTE: You can use these for mounting a rear box in many cases.
  3. Lowering:
    a. Using two kits for front and rear - BA-7530-00 Baron's rear lowering kit and BA-7503RS Baron's performance front lowering kit
    b. Using the rear kit and revising the front forks with spacers BA-7502-00 and GVEs (Gold Valve Emulators)
    c. Using the rear kit and having your dealer move the fork tubes up in the front.
  4. Pegs:
    a. Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs - 1" Clamps: 7980
    The lower engine bars are 1"
  5. Floorboard lowering (passenger):
    a. The way the stock boards are mounted to the frame you will need to make some mods to mount another vendors boards - up until the '01s Kuryakyn had splined adapters; Cobra, CWI and Jardine all make floorboards.
    b. An adapter of some kind to move the stock ones down?
  6. Lights:
    Tough call there, people opt for the $50 Walmart or $400 Kuryakyn...
    a. Yamaha Halogen: STR-4NK35-10-01
    b. Baron's: BA-3006-00
    c. Kuryakyn: Bullets - KY-2305; P-Clamp or other mounts; Bolts - KY-2289
  7. Seat:
    I'll add this...
    Keep an eye on the seat, don't cut your windshield until you modify it!
    a. Rick Baker stock seat mod - See this site, very comfortable
    b. Mustang - This will raise you up - passenger as well (floorboard issue taken care of?
    c. Corbin
    d. Ultimate

Good luck,

gp

Thanks gents for the replies - I really do appreciate it.

Can any of you guys tell me the basic sound difference between the Baron 4-2-4's and the BUB "sleepers"?

For example which is louder?

Which has a better, richer deeper "tone"

Thanks again,

Shep

This is my bike with BUB's

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

this is a set of ROAD HOUSE I put on a friends bike they sound great too.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

1. Pipes:
    a. Loud: Barons Bag Slash: BA-1030-00
    b. Pretty Loud: Baron's 4:2:4: BA-1000-00
    c. Quiet to Loud: R-Mark Harley Muffler Conversion kit (look on ebay) + stock RK mufflers (or any of the CVO mufflers.
    NOTE: You will need some high temp RTV sealer for these applications.
  2. Luggage Rack:
    a. Yamaha: STR-5VP51-30-00
    b. Custom World International: CWI-05-2622
    NOTE: You can use these for mounting a rear box in many cases.
  3. Lowering:
    a. Using two kits for front and rear - BA-7530-00 Baron's rear lowering kit and BA-7503RS Baron's performance front lowering kit
    b. Using the rear kit and revising the front forks with spacers BA-7502-00 and GVEs (Gold Valve Emulators)
    c. Using the rear kit and having your dealer move the fork tubes up in the front.
  4. Pegs:
    a. Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs - 1" Clamps: 7980
    The lower engine bars are 1"
  5. Floorboard lowering (passenger):
    a. The way the stock boards are mounted to the frame you will need to make some mods to mount another vendors boards - up until the '01s Kuryakyn had splined adapters; Cobra, CWI and Jardine all make floorboards.
    b. An adapter of some kind to move the stock ones down?
  6. Lights:
    Tough call there, people opt for the $50 Walmart or $400 Kuryakyn...
    a. Yamaha Halogen: STR-4NK35-10-01
    b. Baron's: BA-3006-00
    c. Kuryakyn: Bullets - KY-2305; P-Clamp or other mounts; Bolts - KY-2289
  7. Seat:
    I'll add this...
    Keep an eye on the seat, don't cut your windshield until you modify it!
    a. Rick Baker stock seat mod - See this site, very comfortable
    b. Mustang - This will raise you up - passenger as well (floorboard issue taken care of?
    c. Corbin
    d. Ultimate

Good luck,

gp

You are "da man" - this is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do with - I know it will help others also..

Shep

• 1 month later...

I have an 07 RSTD, I found a mint set of harley mufflers on e-bay for $25.00, and made my own brackets out of 1/4" aluminum and polished them, I got the measurements from this site. The luggage rack from a later model roadstar sits about 3" lower than the rstd one that bolts to the sissy bar. It mounts to the rear seat bolt and license plate bracket. I love it. You definetly need the passing lights. Look good and work good. However the RSTD headlight has a built in sorta visor on it. And instead of getting the add on visors, you can get the trim rings (visor style) from HD that will match the headlight quite nicely. The other mod I did was to replace the rear turn signals with a front (older gen bike with 1157 bulbs instead of the 3 pin 10.00 a piece bulbs)set I found on e-bay (new) for 40.00. I added a set of red lenses from kuryakyn 10.00 and wired the other filiment to taillight so now the rear turn signals are also running lights. There is a plug and play kit available to do the same thing but the price is about double and now if a bulb goes out I can get one anywhere. This is a great site and I have learned that almost anything you want to do or need to know you can find it here. Enjoy makin' it your own !!!!!!