IGNORED

Western Canadian Rally anyone?

friesman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been busy over the Christmas season but now its time to get to work and see what we can stir up. I will go over what we have so far, and make some calls, and send DBLCAL a message to see if he has gotten any onfo on the area.

I will also review details about timing and repost everything to condense it all

Most of us Canucks are off on July 1st so it could be a good travel day .So it looks like we could ride on Thursday july 2nd, Friday July3rd and Sat July 4th with everyone leaving for home Sunday July 5th.

I will check tomorrow for rates and accomodations in New Denver and the Valhalla, as well as a few other places for pricing.

PS How does Kruising in the Kokanees sound for a name?

Brian

I didnt get any quotes back on rates but the Valhalla Inn in New Denver has some good rates posted, and they are motorcycle friendly and kinda central to the Kootenay area riding.

Heres a link to some videos on the roads from actual rides.

http://www.destinationhighways.com/dh/10NorthKootenays/25sum.htm

SO Kruising in the Kootenays? on the first weekend in July? I am looking forward to getting accomodations worked out.

Brian

I didnt get any quotes back on rates but the Valhalla Inn in New Denver has some good rates posted, and they are motorcycle friendly and kinda central to the Kootenay area riding.

Heres a link to some videos on the roads from actual rides.

http://www.destinationhighways.com/dh/10NorthKootenays/25sum.htm

SO Kruising in the Kootenays? on the first weekend in July? I am looking forward to getting accomodations worked out.

Brian

Keep me in the loop would be a great ride!!

I think I might be able to make a trip or 2 this year. I am already planning a riding/rafting trip this year to Llyton B.C. but not sure of the dates yet. My rafting guide and I will set a date later when time is closer but if I can make it I think it would be alot of fun for this one also.

When a date is set and a location is for sure please post and I will see if I could make it to this one also.

Bull; from Port Angeles, WA - I qualify can see W Canada from my yard. Ready anytime anywhere for one out our way. Let's see for a Meet n Eat out here we'd have salmon, dungeness crab, halibut, clams. moose, elk and maybe a hot dog or 2.

Ready and willing and can supply fresh crab as much as I can pack on the scoot anyway.

All

I thought that Nelson- because its such a pretty town - would be a nice place to stay - especially if we stayed in town. Many nice shops and restaurants and places to walk at night. I have found two fairly well rated smaller motels

THENEWGRANHOTEL.CA - with singles at $90 and doubles at $100

MOUNTAINHOUND.com - with room rates about $10 per night cheaper.

(non of these room rates have been negotiated)

The NEW Grand is the motel where the western canada motorcyle guided tours stay at.

I personally like the idea of not being on the north side of the lake - or in an outlying area - but rather right down town. I am sure there will be fireworks over the lake one night and lots of arts and crafts and activities happening in downtown Nelson and right around these two motels.

There are larger motels like the Best Western at around $160 per night and the PRESTIGE at $220 per night as well. The GRAND and the HOUND are really old buildings coverted into boutique motels with wooden floors and safe parking etc. They both get high service and quality comments on the web.

Not sure this helps - and I hope I'm not getting ahead of the group - but I thought I would offer these possibilities. Maybe we could get a solid group rate if people could confirm?

Hope this helps???

All

I thought that Nelson- because its such a pretty town - would be a nice place to stay - especially if we stayed in town. Many nice shops and restaurants and places to walk at night. I have found two fairly well rated smaller motels

THENEWGRANHOTEL.CA - with singles at $90 and doubles at $100

MOUNTAINHOUND.com - with room rates about $10 per night cheaper.

(non of these room rates have been negotiated)

The NEW Grand is the motel where the western canada motorcyle guided tours stay at.

I personally like the idea of not being on the north side of the lake - or in an outlying area - but rather right down town. I am sure there will be fireworks over the lake one night and lots of arts and crafts and activities happening in downtown Nelson and right around these two motels.

There are larger motels like the Best Western at around $160 per night and the PRESTIGE at $220 per night as well. The GRAND and the HOUND are really old buildings coverted into boutique motels with wooden floors and safe parking etc. They both get high service and quality comments on the web.

Not sure this helps - and I hope I'm not getting ahead of the group - but I thought I would offer these possibilities. Maybe we could get a solid group rate if people could confirm?

Hope this helps???

Any ideas help,and I like your ideas, but we had already started the process in New Denver last fall as it seemed to be pretty central and one of the members had been there before for a rally. If things dont pan out in New Denver, we will definitely be looking at Nelson. I dont know the area, if you do, would you be up to lending a hand with ideas for next July 's rally?

Actually if anyone knows the area and would like to lend ahand or an idea please let me know and we can get things going forward, and plan runs, mabbe get some prizes. I really dont know the area and would like someone else who knows the area well that could help out with logistics and planning.

I think we have to keep prices reasonable to allow as many people as possible to attend and we have to check on accomodations for people that might want to camp as well.

Cmon everyone lets make next July long weekend a blast

Brian

How about that, I live in Nelson B.C. www.discovernelson.com and would be happy to help in any way possible. Nelson is a community of 10,000 people and I seem to know most of them. I maybe able to negotiate reasonable prices at any of a number of local hotels/motels such as The New Grand Hotel, www.newgrandhotel.ca the Hume Hotel, www.humehotel.com the Alpine Inn, www.alpine-motel.com or Ainsworth Hotsprings, www.hotnaturally.com or Toad Rock Motorcycle campground. www.toadrockcampground.com My network does not extend to New Denver, Kaslo or Nakusp so those could just as easily be negotiated by anyone. The New Grand hosts a large annual international Triumph rally http://members.shaw.ca/islandratinfo/KootenayRAID.pdf in Nelson July 17 to 20th. They know what to expect or more to the point what not to expect when it comes to motorcycles and their riders. They have a nice bar and live music on weekends and there are three other good bars within a three block radius.

I have only been to one rally so not sure what all is involved but with some volunteers to help me we could have a great time! Most dates are good for me but if something does come up I can still be the one here on the ground for the rally.

Harry

hi

Thats great to hear from someone that lives in the area, even though this will be a simple rally with riding, telling lies, making friends, and eating being the main goal, its always so much easier with someone on the ground in the area

Ill touch base with you shortly to see if we can come up with something

Thanks for the offer of help!

Brian

Sound good, look forward to hearing from you or anyone else interested.

You do understand that "on the ground" is just an expression? In fact right now I don't have two wheels on the ground, they are both in the air on the jack, way to much snow outside right now.

Harry

Guest tessa c2

Hey that sounds good, would love to see you again but pack a bit heavery sleeping bag that what you would use in texas, even in mid summer it can get nippy in the hills:thumbsup:

Guest tessa c2

DrillMaster: if you are comming out, let me know, since you are going right past my door step if you are comming down the #1, it'll give you a place to water up( actually anyone comming from the east can claim a roost at my place) i am a short days drive from there,got lots of room, the over flow area is the rifle range, will just hang the red lanturn up the pole:missingtooth:

I checked with the Valhalla Inn in New Denver and found out that they are in fact very "motorcycle" friendly. Their m/c group rate is $67.50 Canadian per night. I reserved for July 2nd to the 5th. Here's their website http://www.valhallainn.biz/. I used to live and work in Nakusp which is about a 3/4 hour drive from New Denver. Unfortunately that was over 20 years ago so I'm not in tune with any of New Denver's facilities but I can tell you that riding in both the east and west Kootenays around the lakes is about the best you'll find. Nice thing is that it is close enough for many of our American friends to make the trip north. Looking forward to a great weekend and hopefully we have a good turnout.

Doug

Hi

we are getting prices on hotels and campgrounds and should have them shortly. We are also looking at locations in Nelson BC, a short distance away from New Denver, as its a larger town with more options for accomodationd, dining, and camping. In New Denver it appears we would have issues finding accomodations if we had a loarge number of members turn out.

We should have these issues worked out in the next few days, so please stand by......

Brian

If anyone has any concerns or comments please feel free to message me.

Good Day Folks,

I have dropped off this forum for a while. Think of a computer and the command "format C" and you will have an idea of what happened.

Anyway I am glad to see you are still planning this ride.

Are the dates firmed up?

I can see you are talking about either Nelson or New Denver as ride central. Both are fine places and pretty central to some outstanding riding roads.

One outstanding loop that could be done from both locations is:

Nelson, Balfour, Kaslo, New Denver, Crescent Valley and back to Nelson.

Pull out a map and take a look at 31a between Kaslo and New Denver. It is one of the best riding roads you will ever get the pleasure to ride.

If you decide on settling into New Denver there is a terrific day ride close to there the locals call Threading the Needle. That would take you from New Denver to Nakusp and down to Fauquier. Catch the free ferry from Fauquier. If memory serves it is a cable ferry. Once on the other side you are in Needles. Beyond Needles is about 70 miles of motorcycle nirvana. It is a rolling, winding, twisty road with an ice cream stop about halfway through and, once again if my memory is on target, there is a place called The Blue Ox (?) in Lumby to stop for lunch. Great food. The ride back is even better cuz you know the road.

Another cool loop out of Nelson is Nelson to Balfour. Catch the free ferry to Kootenay Bay. From there head south on 3a to 3. 3a is another outstanding riding road. Take 3 west over the Kootenay Pass to Salmo and then Salmo back to Nelson.

Depending on where you care to ride I know of several good places to eat and a few of the tourist attractions. The real attractions are the riding roads.

I don't know Nelson all that well. I do recall one motel that appealed to me. It had a courtyard type of parking lot where you can park your bikes right in front of the room. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of it and when I was last there it was booked up.

Here are a few pictures of the area:

http://www.actualriders.ca/casualcruise2008.htm

http://www.actualriders.ca/silverton.htm

http://www.actualriders.ca/sandon.htm

Let me know if any of this appeals to you and I will check my records and firm up the pit stops I have suggested.

If you decide on New Denver and the Valhalla as ride central tell Joan you are with one of my groups. Don Binns of the Northern Stars. I don't know if that will get you a better rate. She tends to be very fair with all riding groups but it's worth a try.

Please feel free to pass along any questions about the area either here or through email. If I can help I will.

In the meantime I will try to think of a few other cool places to ride in the area.

thanks DBLcal if you could copy that to the Kruisnthekootenays thread it would be appreciated.

This thread is finished and we would like to close it off so we dont confuse people as we discussed new Denver here and we have since moved to Nelson BC.

PLEASE Dont post here anymore, for the western canadian rally, please use the KruisntheKootenays thread

Thanks

Brian

Edited by friesman