My 2006 RSTD recently developed a clicking sound at approx. 4000 miles. I first noticed it when backing bike out of garage with the engine off. When slowing down for a stop I noticed it again. It appears to be coming from the rear of the bike, but it does not sound like a dragging pad. I checked gear oil, and it was full. Anyone have the same noise. Missed a beautiful weekend because of concern of doing damage. I did install a Barons rear lowering kit when I first got the bike, but I checked and everything is tight.

There have been several posts on this subject, the noise is due to 2 things. Dry splines and mal adjusted drive shaft to rear end. There is a service bulletin out from Yamaha detailing both issues. When my 07 developed it I took it to the dealer to fix on warrenty. As yours is an 06, I would do the same. I rode mine for some time before I took it in and had it adjusted and lubed, I doubt that any real harm is being done, but it should be fixed.

good luck

There have been several posts on this subject, the noise is due to 2 things. Dry splines and mal adjusted drive shaft to rear end. There is a service bulletin out from Yamaha detailing both issues. When my 07 developed it I took it to the dealer to fix on warrenty. As yours is an 06, I would do the same. I rode mine for some time before I took it in and had it adjusted and lubed, I doubt that any real harm is being done, but it should be fixed.

good luck

yep...what he said. had the same prob...repaired under warranty.

FYI..

You can page down to the bottom of this page and you will see many threads posted on the famous "clicking" sound..

You might want to print a couple of the below posts out and take with you just int he cae your dealer "has never heard of it" before..:whistling:

Hey veep1,

I have talked the problem I have had with read ends so much that I'm afraid some people on here are sick of hearing but here goes. I have an 05 venture and yamha has replaced the rear end 5 times. At approx 1700 miles after the last rear end was installed I got home from a trip and when I backed out of the garage I hear the rear end clicking. I was so upset I called yamaha and demanded they give me a new bike. The asked that I let a yamaha factory rep look at my bike one more time. The factory rep pulled the read end and said there was do damage but the the pins in the rear end were dry. He recommends greasing the rear pins with Honda moly 60 dry lithium grease and asked me to let him do that and see if it corrected the click. It stopped the clicking. He said in the past yamaha recommended greasing the rear end with the old grease they used at each tire change which ws usually around 6 or 7000 miles. But today with tires lasting 12,000 to 15,000 miles that doesn't work so now yamaha recommends using the honda moly 60 grease. Good luck.

I had the same kind of clicking sound out of the rear end. Brought it to the dealer and they took it all apart. Put it back together and it was still there. They called their Yamaha contacts who told them to take it all apart again and grease everything. They did and it was GONE. Took most of the day, but the clocking sound has not come back.