IGNORED

Venture vs Victory Vision

Guest mwspoon

I am new to VentureRider and not an owner yet. I already have a Victory Kingpin but have found a great looking used Venture I am ready to add to my garage - just have to get home to convince my wife!

Since I have a Victory now, all the Vic dealers can only talk about the Victory Vision. I have not adjusted to the look, a little to Jetson-esque for me, but they will talk forever about how it is so advanced.

Have any of you Venture owners taken a look or test ride on a Vision? How does it compare in your book to the Venture?

Thanks!

mwspoon

While waiting for Performance PowerSports to do my twelfth scheduled service (pre-paid when I bought the bike and I'm getting my money's worth!), one of the sales guys came over to me and asked if I would like to take a test ride. I signed a release form and was handed the key to a Victory Vision, which I took for a twenty-five mile ride.

There are two immediate impressions when sitting on this bike: the seat is very comfortable and wow, it's a long ways between me and the windshield! The frame-mounted fairing leaves a lot of cockpit room. The key switch was a stretch forward.

RSVs make a lot of engine and transmission noise (as opposed to exhaust sound), and that noise is bounced around in the cockpit area. I saw the Vision's non-water-cooled V-Twin and thought it would rumble like a loud Harley, but it was much quieter than I expected. This test bike was probably outfitted with the standard most-quiet exhaust system.

The handle bars were a long reach. I'm 6'1", so I expect that shorter people would be uncomfortable. They are not one-piece tubular bars. I saw that they are two-piece, with each piece being bolted through. What I don't know is whether that bolt can be loosened to swing the bars back further to decrease the reach. When I rode, I also felt that the handlebars were less pull-back, more straight-out-sideways than I am used to on my RSV. This seemed less comfortable to me. Again, *if* they are adjustable then this would be easily fixed.

Compared to the RSV, the engine turns slowly. I started my ride without thinking about which gear I was in. After ten miles, it occurred to me that the Vision is a 6-speed and that I probably had not shifted into 6th, so I shifted up one more. RPM dropped from a comfortable-to-me rate to a leisurely 2,000 rpm at 45mph, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it seemed that the engine was less hurried than the RSV, and I liked that. Then it turned out that there was still another gear (I had ridden my first ten miles in 4th)! Sixth gear did not feel right at 55mph. My guess is that you should be going at least 70mph before shifting to 6th gear, even to cruise, but maybe I am just used to my RSV riding habits. Again, I like the slower-turning quieter engine. I probably would not use 6th gear much because so much of my riding is on slower back roads.

The bike required a little cranking to start -- not much at all, but a little. My final experiences with my previous bike (a V-twin) were the failure of that bike's electrical system. That Shadow also was prone to difficult starting in cold weather, so that I had to be careful not to run the battery dead while cranking. The RSV has always started in a half-second, even at twelve degrees F, so when the Vision took about two seconds of cranking to start each time (I stopped during my trip to look over the audio controls), it brought back bad memories for me. If the battery is powerful enough, then it may be just as reliable through the winter. I suppose it's just a V-twin thing, the starter having to push those bigger pistons around. The RSV's V-4 has just pleasingly impressed me with its eager roar to life each time I push the starter button.

The electric windshield is something I really wish the RSV had, and I liked it on the Vision. It allowed me to look over the shield, which I haven't done for two and a half years now (since I bought the RSV). When the shield was raised (which can be done while riding -- good!) it cut down on wind and had me looking through it. My RSV's ClearView shield is distortion-free and I remember that the RSV's original shield was as well, but the Vision's is not. It was a little like looking through Coke-bottle glass. So points for the adjustability, but it needs a better optical quality shield.

The radio seemed difficult to hear clearly, using the fairing speakers. My guess is that this had something to do with the cockpit acoustics. We have good acoustics in the RSV cockpit, and that unfortunately contributes to the amplification of the RSV chirp and other clatter.

Fairing-mounted mirrors. I had a frame-mounted Windjammer SS fairing on my 1979 CX500, long ago. Back then, I found a pair of Gold Wing fairing mirrors and mounted them on the Windjammer. Those were great because they were well out in front and high up, so the rider could always see behind without even glancing to the side to check the mirrors. I expected the same from the Vision, but it was not the case. Vision's fairing is mounted low. A result is that the built-in mirrors always gave a view of my hands on the grips. Right: not my shoulders, which I see just slightly in my stock RSV mirrors, but a full view of my hands took up at least a third of the mirrors. I like a clear view behind (have been hit from behind twice, so I like to pay attention to what's going on back there), and I didn't get it with the Vision.

Power was less than I expected. I know that I have to consider that my current riding habits may have much to do with this impression. We are always telling newcomers to the RSV that they need to rev up the RSV's engine to get the power and get out of old V-twin habits, so I was probably applying V-4 habits to Victory's V-twin. Still, returning to my own bike, the throttle of the RSV seems quite a bit more responsive than the Vision's.

Leg room: Vision is the only bike I've been on that has more stock leg room than the RSV.

Other features: There were several features on the Vision that I did not try. Heated grips and heated seat just were not appropriate in August, but may well be appreciated in January. I didn't push the bike over to test the frame feature that is supposed to stop the bike from rolling completely onto its side, but I think it's a great idea. It has a lot of lighting, but I rode in the afternoon, so the dual headlights and single spot driving lamp did not get a real test. I don't know what the fuel efficiency was either, because my test wasn't long enough. The Vision has a thermometer, gear read-out (tells you what gear you are in) and miles-remaining fuel indicator. There is a compartment left of the gas tank (which is not really a gas tank, I think) that has room for a small item such as glasses, cell phone or iPod, and the model that I rode had a power outlet in it and a plug for the iPod. I didn't have my iPod with me, so that didn't get tested either. There is cruise control, with buttons in a control pod hanging below the right handlebar. The buttons were a little less convenient than those on the RSV, because of their positioning. I didn't try the cruise either, because it was a short trip on back roads. Radio controls were easy to use and more understandable than on the RSV.

I'll stick with the Royal Star Venture, and continue to wish that it made less engine/transmission noise. If I were to go for an American bike, however, I would probably consider the Vision a better choice for me than the Harley Ultra (there is no need for the "feature" of being able to shut off the rear cylinder on the Victory engine, to keep it from over-heating). You still have to come to grips with the styling of the Vision -- it is so radical that it is difficult to have a neutral feeling about it -- and the practical storage space is less than what I am used to for my daily load of my work tools, computer bag and clothing. If Victory were to de-style it some and increase practical storage, then it would be worth another look for me.

First and foremost.....WELCOME TO VR.ORG...!!!:thumbsup2:

Sorry, but I really can not help you at all with comparison views since I have never rode one myself.

I having a difficult time accepting the looks of it still. It is a kind of look that needs to grow on me for a while before I get used to it I guess.

I have heard good things about it though, but personally I havent really even looked at one up close to compare anything.

But hey, again...welcome to the site... sit back, enjoy..and jump in anytime..:sign16:

There is a compartment left of the gas tank (which is not really a gas tank, I think)

That is correct, it's not the gas tank. From the photos I've seen the gas tank is mounted up front; between the forks.

Don't know about you but I don't want a gas tank that far up front and in that vulnerable an area. :2cents:

Before I bought my Venture I rode a Tour Deluxe and a Vision. The Vision had a much "Clunkier" tranny as my biggest complaint. One of the main things I noticed was the cruise tho. Where the Yamaha disengaged instantly when you touched the brake, the Vision woud actually rev up before the cruise cut off.

I'm pretty sure that the Vision has an oil cooler on it, which is at least a little better than air cooled.

H-D seems to have proven that placing one really big cylinder behind another and leaving them to air and radiant cooling results in the rear cylinder over-heating. Now H-D has the ability for the rider to turn off the rear cylinder when the bike is idling or moving slowly, to cut down the heat. H-D calls this a feature. I call it a work-around for an engine that has passed its design limitations. I don't need that 'feature' on my liquid-cooled V-4.

Liquid cooling does a much better job of maintaining even cooling. The Vision's oil cooler is probably not as good as liquid cooled cylinders, but it may extend the viability of the otherwise-air-and-radiant-cooled engine.

After years of riding a First Gen ('86 and a couple of 84's & an '85), I found that I didn't care much for riding the Victory Vision.

Unlike most of you, I'm not that turned off by the radical styling but I didn't like the powerband of the engine, the extreme clunking of the transmission and a few other items.

If I were seriously considering buying something in the $15K-$22K range, I'd consider it, the RSV, The BMW K bike and the 1800 Wing. I don't know which I'd choose, but it is a moot point.

I was looking at one last week. I was offered a ride, but didn't have my own helmet and didn't want to share others head grease. One thing I noticed was the small bags. There's not nearly as much useful storage on the bike. That in itself isn't a big deal if you pull a trailer for trips. But I also really couldn't see a good way to mount a hitch to pull our trailer.

Also while I didn't ride it. I did notice that the grips felt very distant. I'm rather short 5'9", but have very long arms 35". I don't think it would be comfortable for all day trips. I do plan on getting in there to ride it though.

I like the retro look of the vision and aggressive lines. Nothing else out there like it . I have never ridden one. I sat on one @ Bikes, Blue's & BBQ in Fayetteville, AK last year at their Victory tent. It felt balanced and surprisingly less top heavy just sitting there mind you. The storage was surprisingly mimimal and a hitch would be a challenge and won't be made by aftermarket any time soon and a challenge to build custom. My brother rode to Sturgis this year with a group and one of them a woman was riding a Vision. She was too short to put the kick stand down without help. A scary story in itself. He said that the rider complained of excessive engine heat at lower speeds even in the mountains. It makes sense to me that having an aircooled engine surrounded by all that fairing and plastic could definitely create a heat problem for the rider and possibly for the engine as well.

And that was all I did. If you close your eyes when you walk up to one it helps with the PANIC ATTACK and you won't have nightmares for more then a week or 8 days.

We are talking UGLY, big time. Now as far as the ride is concerned if your ancestors removed themselves from the trees less then 10,000 years ago your arms MAY be long enough to reach the bars.

Also I'm pretty sure you have to own a dog that flies in order to own one of these things.

By the way they are offering free test rides at the Delmarva Bike Week, which starts today and is why I'm heading out the door now.

I think the Vision looks pretty cool especially without the "removable" trunk... I did the Daytona Bike Week test ride and I was disapointed with the legroom... I thought it had less legroom than my RSV... I thought it was closer to an Ultra Glides legroom and the floorboards are higher and the seat is lower so you squat a little more... I guess Hiway pegs could fix it..

I might have to take up my local Victory Dealer's offer to test ride... They send me e-mails every other week... Maybe I'll cruize over to Bah Habba

The thing is so radical looking that it's hideous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUGLY!!!!!!:thumbdown:

I followed one last week...anybody ever watch "everybody loves raymond"? did ya see the episode where his mom went to art class? the back end of that bike looks like her scuplture....or more like......well, you who watched know what I mean.

And that was all I did. If you close your eyes when you walk up to one it helps with the PANIC ATTACK and you won't have nightmares for more then a week or 8 days.

We are talking UGLY, big time. Now as far as the ride is concerned if your ancestors removed themselves from the trees less then 10,000 years ago your arms MAY be long enough to reach the bars.

Also I'm pretty sure you have to own a dog that flies in order to own one of these things.

By the way they are offering free test rides at the Delmarva Bike Week, which starts today and is why I'm heading out the door now.

:rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf:

Have any of you Venture owners taken a look or test ride on a Vision? How does it compare in your book to the Venture?

Thanks!

mwspoon

Yep, I took a demo ride about a month ago. Victory was at a local Yamaha Dealer that also sells Victory.

After rideing about 30 miles upon our return to the dealer. The Factory guy asked both myself and my friend "what did you think" we both said, I'm keeping my Venture. Cost me a "T" shirt but I just like the look and feel of my Venture.

Its a beaut!

Gene-B

• 1 month later...

My wife & I got to take one for a nice test drive.

It is a smooth running machine. Comfortable seating but LESS room than our RSV.

IF you can believe the bike's electronics, we were running between 48 & 50 MPG.

Handling was great. Lighting - with HID headlight superb.

It is hotter than the RSV, LOTS of engine heat.

My wife did NOT like it as much as our RSV -- she had wind buffeting which ranged from annoying with the windshield all the way up to severe with it all the way down. She did not like the smaller passenger area -- on the RSV she can move forward if she wants to be close or move back if she wants to stretch our -- on the Vision she was stuck in one place.

I thought she'd really like it because of the bun warmers and modern styling. IF it were as comfortable as the RSV for her to ride on I'm sure she would have.

Sure wish the RSV had one of those HID headlights to help see the deer.

I followed one last week...anybody ever watch "everybody loves raymond"? did ya see the episode where his mom went to art class? the back end of that bike looks like her scuplture....or more like......well, you who watched know what I mean.

Yes, I have seen that particular show and yes I believe you nailed that one.

RandyA