IGNORED

To Part or Not to Part?

Ok, so the mrs has fallen in love with the '09 RSV. I have been very slowly getting my 89 ready to paint, have been accumulating parts, and getting ready to put the bike back together this winter. I even have a set of mac mufflers on order. the bike has a new rear rotor, brakes front and rear, (progressive springs still in box) new clutch and slave, radio and cb dont work, all plastic is in good shape, most is sanded and ready to paint. A few of the tabs are broken, and the trunk lid needs some work where the hinge goes. It's not broken but is cracked. the only thing that didnt work before i stripped the bike down was the cruise, radio, and cb. 87000 miles, motor and tranny very strong.

The question is would I get more out of the bike putting it back together and selling it in the spring, or parting it out over the next few months and saving the cash for downpayment?

I know how hard it is to get parts for the 1st gens, so thinking this may not be a bad way to go. :feedback:

I just pulled you up on the Weather Channel to see where you are. First of all, you are getting ready to get a hard rain in the next few minutes and you are not that far from Oak Ridge. I went by your way this weekend on a round trip to Nashville from Johnson City. I just told Laura that I want to ride the area around Oak Ridge. We need to get together for a M & E sometime soon.

BTW, you are in the hi def area on Vertual Earth on the WC and if you bike had been parked outside when the picture was taken, I could have seen it if I knew where you lived.

RandyA

Yeah, what he says, no one wants to give you what it's worth as a whole bike anyway.

I believe that I would put it back together and try to sell whole. There are certain parts that, if in good or like new condition, bring a fair amount of money but, it sounds like those parts are not operational on this bike (Radio, cb and such). The left side fairing sometimes goes high but not if it has been repaired or with broke tabs.

Dick

The question is would I get more out of the bike putting it back together and selling it in the spring, or parting it out over the next few months and saving the cash for downpayment?

I know how hard it is to get parts for the 1st gens, so thinking this may not be a bad way to go.

Something to think about if you part it out.... In the real world you're going to get a ton for the chrome, but after that it starts going down hill quick, and in the end you're going to have a bunch of parts you can't get rid of. Plus you're going to spend a lot of time dismantiling the bike, packing, and shipping parts. Every one thinks about all the money, but doesn't think about all the work. Your plastic, since it's been sanded etc., isn't going to pull as much as very clean color matching parts. Folks want something that matches what they have, and aren't looking for something to paint. Bolt on and go... Mechanical parts, outside of a few hard to find pieces, are a dime a dozen on Ebay. In the end, and unless you're totally driven, it's gonna get old quick.

Toss a nice paint job on the bike... black cherry etc. .. and sell it. In the long run you're going to be a lot better off....

I would interrested in the plastic parts...

Looking at purchasing the 1987 with 48K miles listed on this forum..

Planning on painting everything anyways...

Going to look at the bike soon.....

Anybody know the bike on e-bay in Fort Worth the e-mail did not go thur??