IGNORED

Hannigan Trike Trunk Lock??????????

First_N_Last

Hey! Hannigan Trike owners!

We all know we have a great Trike conversion...

• great handling
  • low build
  • fantastic independent suspension
  • nice anti-sway bar
  • solid traction
  • incredible cornering
  • nice big trunk

but...

The Trunk has a simple primitive lock hinge!

What? What the heck?

• the lock is a primitive simple lock which is open to rain falling into it
    - no cap or protection
  • key has to stay in lock when unlocked
    - perfect opportunity to have key chain or fob scratch your trunk
  • no protection or hand lever to lift open or push close the trunk lid
    - more opportunity to scratch the trunk lid!
  • once the lid is unlocked (key has to stay in) - you can't ride with it unlocked
    - you must lock - unlock - lock - unlock every time you want to put or get

Someone must have come up with a modification to use the trunk easily?

Anyone?

Someone?

I emailed Hannigan - no response in three weeks, so must have nothing to offer.

Looking for suggestions before I start on a solution.

I have a trunk & want to use it easily as I travel.

Thanks;

JohnnyB F.A.H.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok as Jay stated I've recently looked and purchased 4 different lock combinations but haven't installed any of them yet due to wanting to get this right the first time. Once the lock's hole is altered there's no going back as the replacements will enlarge the current locks mounting hole. In the case of two "T" handle types there's also the requirement of drilling two holes for the fastening screws as well as the last push to close - push button latch I bought.

None of the locks I've bought have had a cover for the key hole to keep water out but in the 5 years I owned my 05 with the Tri-Wing conversion I never had a problem with the key or lock tumbler working.

The main reason for me for even changing the stock latch Hannigan is the fact we don't want to have to use a key to open and close the trikes trunk every time we want to put or retrieve something inside it.

Here's a rundown of what the latches I've but to date. First was a T handle from a vendor on E-bay. While it was cheap, $8.50, I was concerned about the top "T" being too long . I was wanting to move the trunk back to the last set of mounting holes but hadn't done so yet so didn't know for sure if there would be clearance problems between the two.

Next was purchasing another "T" handle from Tri-Wing which is a well made latch/lock plus has a shorter T. I got one of these last summer for B2Dad and he loves it so know it'd work good. In the mean time Joyce was telling me she saw some push button latches with a lift finger tab being used on some of the sidecars Hannigan had in their showroom.

So another search online gave me a latch with these features. However after getting it home I was disappointed in that the latch I received didn't match what was described in the literature. It was an all plastic latch used in marine applications. The web site described it as a chromed unit. While this latch would probably of worked well I was unsure of strength thou its rated at 80lbs plus I would of preferred the chrome look opposed to flat black plastic.

OK so now we decide to go to the source and call John at Hannigan. After talking with him we ordered a latch that is used by them on some of their sidecars as I said above. He said they import them from overseas, UK I think Joyce was told. John also said it was important to keep them well lubed. Looks good and will have to fabricate a catch for the latch but would of had to do that regardless of any of the latches I've bought to date anyhow. Also this latch from Hannigan will have to have a square hole made in the lid opposed to the round holes of the other latches.

Bottom line now is to determine which latch to actually use and proceed fom there. At this point it'll be either the Tri-Wing "T" or the push button model from Hannigan, with me leaning towards the push button model. I'll report back with pics once I get this done.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

I got the t-type on my tri-wing and they are everything Larry says they are, on the push button ones, how are they held on, by a nut on the back side ?? My t handles are held by small bolts and nuts, stainless cause there are no signs of rust after 3 summers. which are easier to replace if needed should be considered too.

Hey! Hannigan Trike owners!

We all know we have a great Trike conversion...

but...

The Trunk has a simple primitive lock hinge!

Here are some pictures of the lock for those who don't have the Hannigan...

Here is a straight on the key lock

(no - I don't have a Harley - last one I owned was in 1967)

601625_10200114514199326_213051850_n.jpg

Here is the view showing the primitive mechanism...

45453_10200114545960120_1055648251_n.jpg

Thanks Carbon_one for working on it.

The rest of you - I knew it had to bug you just like me.

:thumbsup:

JohnnyB F.A.H.

Just a thought guys but why not go with a keyless entry system or modify a car trunk electric latch so you have the peace of mind that the trunk isnt goind to pop open while riding and the ease of use?

Jeff

I'd thought of that too but then you still have to carry around a remote or have it attached to the bikes key ring. I just think either the T handle latch or push button lacth is simpler in use In the unlocked position which would be most of the time, just open and close the trunk as needed. Lock her up when planning on being away from the bike.

Larry

OK I got my latch installed I ended up using the one I bought from Tri-Wing. And since using that one have been internet shopping for either a wholesaler or manufacturer for others to puchase from if they want one. Also Jay and I are looking at other altenative types that would look good and function well for these lids, Attached are the 4 latches that I bought. Left to right - E-bay T handle latch, Tri-Wing T handle latch, Plastic push button latch, and Hannigan's push button sidecar latch.

The e-bay latch isn't too bad but the quality isn't as good as the Tri-Wing one I ended up using. Forget the plastic push button one. The sidecar latch wouldn't work unless I did some serious catch mods due to the catch facing the wrong way plus I would of had to enlarge the lids hole more than I felt comfortable doing. If I had opened up the hole much more and decided this wasn't going to work the hole would of been too big for the other latches. Could of made a cover plate if the hole was too big but in the end I decided to go the easiest route.

Best of all there was no need to do anything to the catch on the trike.

Larry

With the Tri Wing T-bar that you used, do you have to enlarge the hole? If so, how much and what did you use? Also is there a price available to quote??

Yes the hole had to be enlarged a bit. I used a dremel tool w/ carbide bit. But any rasp type bit would of worked. Even a round rat tail file with elbow grease. LOL

It cost me about $30 with shipping from Vancover, BC, Canada. I'm not sure how much or even if they'll sell the T handles for over the counter customers if not having been a previouse customer. They use a lef and right to open latch but were out of the left to open ones when I ordered this one. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Why not use one of the locks from your removed saddlebags and have a matched set of locks and stock key?

Thats what i used for my trailer latch and i only use 1 key.

Mike:confused24:

Now that's a thought. Did the keyless push button to open still function?

Larry

I spent about an hour or so removing the lock from my right saddle bag and found that there is no way for it to work in my Hannigan trikes trunk. I then spent another hour before I finally managed to get the #%$^&^ thing reinstalled. I'd be interested in knowing how that saddlebag lock is supposed to replace that piece of junk that Hannigan puts on the trunk door. Do you have photos?

I used the ebay t handle and love it. I had to file the hole a little. From .875 to 1.00. Which isn't much. Its so nice and easy to open an close. On the stem hanging down on the main body. Of the trunk i put a little around solid rubber boot. With a slit in it so when i put a little pressure down as lm closing it gives a tight. Fit. Use a file to notch. The blade. Took about a hour to do it all. I used to work in office furniture r an d and i used to have to try out all kinds of locks to fit our different cabinets. I also looked the saddle bag locks an new that wasn't. Going to work. I have pics of the whole lock setup with rubber boot. No leaks now

I contacted this eBay vendor yesterday and found out that you can get these

with the FLAT CAM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Handle-Cam-Lock-For-Enclosures-Cabinets-Desks-Generators-Boxes-etc-/150999200910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232840 f48e

EDIT:: this is the new link it already has the FLAT

You can't beat the price. $8 shipped.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

I contacted this eBay vendor yesterday and found out that you can get these

with the FLAT CAM (no bend) he is sending me out a couple. Talked to Jim

on Trike Talk and he and a few others have been using them about 2 years now

and still going strong. If you order you have to tell the vendor that you would

like the FLAT CAM in the notes.I told the vendor to add the flat cam to his store one day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160715322122

You can't beat the price. $8 shipped.

Jeff

Cougar: have you tried this item yet? Is the FLAT CAM going to need a slot cut into it like the Hannigan or can you use the Hannigan flat cam? It looks a little short in the barrel (through the trunk door) compared to the Hannigan.