IGNORED

neutral switch issues

Hey all,

I checked out most all the threads on the neutral switch, but didn't find anything that resembles this issue. I had to replace the ignition switch ( main power on contact plate fried). put in a switch from a '78 400 special mounted on the left side of seat. everything worked fine when on the hoist. Set the bike down, tried to start,,, no spark! followed the wiring schematic and traced it back to the neutral switch. will start only when the stand is up or stand down and clutch engaged. Could it be the gear indicator in the Tranny? if so, would it be best to bypass the clutch neutral switch on the bars? I prefer to keep the stand working, and i don't use the clutch to disengage the cruise.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Darren

I will try to take a look at the wiring diagram tomorrow but I doubt it's the gear indicator. I still suspect that it's the side stand switch. Have you worked it manually a few times to make sure it is making and breaking?

Thanks Freebird. No choice but to override the stand switch for now.( ride night tonite!!). It's as though the signal to the control unit has been interrupted! It seems the unit is not accepting that it is not in gear. Your help in finding something would be unspeakable for all i can find is bits and pieces on the net and forums of indepth manuals.

It could possibly be the diode pack connections are bad, loose corroded etc.

Attached is a PDF showing the starting circuits in 3 different configurations. Also attached is the simplified wiring diagram which may help.

Are you getting a neutral indicator on the dash?

Gary

If the neutral light is on then I really gotta doubt the neutral switch is defective.

I would check for corroded or loose connections Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay Assy.

I just checked the diagram I posted above to the 'Official" Yamaha diagram, and I think what I redrew matches the Yamaha version. But, I think they are both incorrect. It looks like there would be a direct path from 12v + to ground through the neutral switch & one of the diodes in the Start circuit. It could be that the official version of the starting circuit relay is incorrect.

I would need one to run some ohm checks on it to see how it is wired.

Gary

LOL you must be careful not to power the Blue/black and blue/Yellow wires direct to power!!!!:no-no-no:

( the ones that are in the ignition, that complete the neutral circiut with key on). POP goes the main fuse!

OOOPs, but yet still didn't correct the issue lol. i will compare these drawings to what i have and let you know if i found anything.

I should also add , the neutral indicator is on when in neutral.

Just a thought, would an arc blow a diode in the relay assembly causing these effects?

Edited by Darren

• 9 months later...

i am haveing the same problem. wheni put it in neutral the light comes on and it is bright when i lower the side stand the light goes dim and the bike dies. when i go to start it if i move it around while still on the side stand the light goes bright and the bike will start some times it just takes a nudge and some times i am stuck there for 5 to 10 minutes trying to get it to start. so do i need a side stand switch or do i need a neutral switch. thanks