IGNORED

Venture sacrilege

Have been doing alot of reading and studying here in prep of beating my wife down and letting me pick up a 92 VR

I am a tinkerer by nature and am looking forward to attacking the maintenance issues associated with a 30 year old sexy lady one item that has come up in several threads here is dealing with the 30 year old plastic that has held up well over the years but is still getting more brittle with age.

Has anyone tried or even considered making fiberglass molds to make new glass body parts? I know part of the fun is comming up with new ways to patch holes and cracks in the abs but would there be a market for say new front farings and reinforced trunks (came across threads about windshield mounting cracking and a few comming off and trunks that the bottom cracks out)

I could create molds from exsisting abs parts and know several people that make their money shooting racing kart bodies that definatly take more abuse than the average VR week in and week out. I will probably make personal use molds that I can hand lay but would it benifit the community at large to make more durable molds and find someone that could cost effectively simi mass produce new body parts that would stay true to these beautiful lines?

Have been doing alot of reading and studying here in prep of beating my wife down and letting me pick up a 92 VR

I am a tinkerer by nature and am looking forward to attacking the maintenance issues associated with a 30 year old sexy lady one item that has come up in several threads here is dealing with the 30 year old plastic that has held up well over the years but is still getting more brittle with age.

Has anyone tried or even considered making fiberglass molds to make new glass body parts? I know part of the fun is comming up with new ways to patch holes and cracks in the abs but would there be a market for say new front farings and reinforced trunks (came across threads about windshield mounting cracking and a few comming off and trunks that the bottom cracks out)

I could create molds from exsisting abs parts and know several people that make their money shooting racing kart bodies that definatly take more abuse than the average VR week in and week out. I will probably make personal use molds that I can hand lay but would it benifit the community at large to make more durable molds and find someone that could cost effectively simi mass produce new body parts that would stay true to these beautiful lines?

I could be interested in this.

:goodpost:

I would be interested, but one thing to remember. If you base the mold off your current fairings and plastics there is alot of warping and sagging that the plastic goes through. You may have a hard time mounting your new plastics on without stretching them

Sounds like fun!!

I would be interested, but one thing to remember. If you base the mold off your current fairings and plastics there is alot of warping and sagging that the plastic goes through. You may have a hard time mounting your new plastics on without stretching them

This is what they make drills for however my newest bike the fairings cpt for the hole next to the side cover are in excellent shape as it had been setting in a house, or something all its life. the only reason it has a hole in the right fairing next to the side cover is the guy before me dropped it.

Yup the only body damage beside a scrape on the left side fairing has all been done by the PO

I tend to call him the POS but that just slips out

Hey I have dropped them too, but i have yet to see brittle plastics except for a tab i replaced on Tinker

Ok this project is a tenitive go but not in glass. Contacted my favorite kart racing body maker and he is only making his "super tough" bodies now (no more fiberglass) which are a plastic polymer. He informed me that he also does abs panels for other applications so for the purest VR riders you will be able to get virtually oem aftermarket bodies!!!

Now it will be at least 2 months before I have the time to dedicate to making the forms and in the meantime I need a first gen rider that lives in the Indiana area to come on board. After I make the forms and ship them to his shop I would like someone out in Indiana willing to make a day trip to his shop so he can touch and feel actual oem panels.

I am probably making a mistake in assuming so want to double check. The molds will be from a 1992 venture royal. Are all first gen panels innerchangable? (I do know early versions had smaller side boxes are there any other diffrences) also from experience where do we need to add more thickness/support/reinforcment? I am thinking about things like intergrating metal banding in the side pods that would allow for heavier load capacity and beefing up the windshield mounting area (possibly adding a 16 to 20 gage strip sandwiched in for ridgity)

Also remember reading that it is better to not crank down on the screws holding the body on. Would it be benificial to move the mounting tabs in say 1/8 inch so you can mount with a rubber washer for a more secure fit? (Old racing trick lol) any other wish list items to make these panels 6 million dollar man (better, faster, stronger)

As for sag when making the mold. I was thinking about that and that will be where my carpenter skills will enter the picture. I plan to make a metal/wood hybrid frame mock up (especially of the front end) to provide ridgity to insure the mold holds proper form.

Now the odd news. I hope to get this bike in 2 weeks. I did recieve a text today from the guy. He is listing the bike for 1500 but made me the offer to take it for 1200. Going to beg the wife tonight for a 600 advance then offer the guy the 600 as a down payment with the balance to come in 2 weeks when the wife will let me have the money (I make the money but she controls the purse because I like to spend entirely to freely lol)

I think the "sag" that was referred to is not while in the process of making the molds, but the sag that has occurred from the panels hanging around for the last 30 years and are no longer the same shape as when new.

If you were to do hand laid I bet that some would be interested in carbon fiber with clear resins. I always thought it would look really cool to have the outer layer a single layer of carbon fiber and then layers of glass behind to add the extra strength and thickness needed. glass cloth is pretty clear when whetted out with a clear resin. One could then add LED lighting to the inside of the plastics so that at night the light would be visible between the weave of the carbon and make the whole faring light up.

I always though a fixed fairing designed to open like the hood of a car to make easy access to all the goodies hidden under the fairing would be wayyy cool.. Maybe some sort of a slide out fairing or backwards opening car hood type would be a remarkable advantage for putting a whooping on any Gremlins that get trapped under there while out CTFW..

A carbon fiber hand laid, lighter weight fairing in that configuration would not only be a huge plus to the far rider but would also add MPG's plus,, and probably more important,, make the amazing highway dominating 1st Gen even that much more :bikersmilie::checkeredflag::checkeredflag::checkeredflag::bowdown:

If it comes to pass that 35 year old Ventures will be running around with hand laid carbon fibre panels then yall are just trying to make Yamaha jealous.

GO FOT IT!!!

Let me know when the 2nd Gens panels are available.

How about carbonfiber with a little color

https://compositeenvisions.com/composite-reinforcement-fabrics/reflections-carbon-fiber/

You guys are killing me. As a tinkerer I will do crap just because it has never been done. Wife will kill me but carbon may be in my future now lol.

Got an idea brewing for a slide panel to get in the underside also. Will do some sketching and get back to you (or maybe a hinged side? Crap you guys are bad for my wallet)

Well thank you, we are always ready, willing and able to help others with :mo money:.

PS

I am already on the hit lists for many a wife. I think some may actually have contracts out on me already.......:duck:. So feel free to blame it on me. I can still run pretty fast when I need to.