IGNORED

Baron Performance front lowering kit

Has anybody installed the performance front lowering kit from Baron. It's a complete set with springs, valve emulators etc? If so, is there much work/money involved? Should this work be left to a dealer/bike shop? And, was there a considerable improvement in ride, handling etc?

Thanks,

chachi

In doing a search, I see that no-one has answered you.

I plan on lowering the front of my 05 RSTD, and in my opinion, it is simply too much money for me.

If you don't have a probem with that, you'll have to let us know how you like it.

Steve

Tony,

If you haven't rebuilt a set of forks, I'm not sure you would be up for this. However if you feel up to it and have the tools to remove the forks and disassemble them, then it's certainly a job that you could probably handle. Because this kit includes a set of Race Tech Cartridge Emulators, you will have to remove the dampening rod. The reason for this is because you have to drill 6-5/16" holes in the rod to flow as much oil as possible. Then the compression and rebound is controlled by the pop-off valve of the emulator. And you won't have to separate the fork tube and the bottom to remove the dampening rod so you don't need to replace the seals. But you will have plenty of instructions available.

The way this kit works to lower the forks, is to place a slug down inside the upper fork tube under the dampening rod and rebound spring. Then it's only a matter of adding oil, dropping in the new springs and setting the spring preload.

However you could cut the cost of this procedure by just buying the Barrons lowering slugs and getting a new set of springs (Sonic or Race Tech) with a spring rate of 1.1 to 1.2kg/mm and forgo the emulators.

Hope this helps,

Rick