IGNORED

Front brake light switch

Ok looked through and found where and how to fix the front brake light switch. Went to do this, and a PO has trashed the housing for the switch. So looks like I need a new one. Four wire switch for cruise control on an 84. Any idea where a poor Canuck could find this switch? Rear works fine so I'm not desperate, but I'd like to get it working.

IF desperation does kick in...................

I just bought an aftermarket front master upgrade, it has only a 2 wire switch. So I will be connecting that switch to operate the brake light, and using the brake light to drive a relay to operate the cruise kill.

IF desperation does kick in...................

I just bought an aftermarket front master upgrade, it has only a 2 wire switch. So I will be connecting that switch to operate the brake light, and using the brake light to drive a relay to operate the cruise kill.

not sure I care about the cruise, but that's because I've never had it on a bike. Maybe I'd like it LOL. Sure would have been a bad idea on the ZX-14 anyway ...... 230 kph, set cruise LOL.

ill have a look at it, and if I could use the two wire without causing any other problems, I might just throw it in for now.

If you do not have cruise or care about it then you only need a 2 wire switch. The other 2 wires are just to kill the cruise when you hit the brake.

Cool, I can get it working for now and track down the proper switch later if I decide I want try the cruise out. Or do as you're planning and add a relay later.

Hi.You may be able to track one down on Ebay. I had the same problem with my 86 and actually rebuilt the switch and springs.I cleaned up the contacts and remelted the plastic so it would work fine.I never had a problem after.One of the contacts are high current. Good luck with it.

• 4 years later...
On 10/6/2021 at 11:53 PM, 84VentureMatt said:

I've got a 84 PO had serviced prior to my purchase an was told the switch was toast an part is unavailable so has anyone come up with any solutions on this issue because I would really like both my brake switches functioning 

I would try cleaning it and make sure it isn’t sticking.  Also check to make sure the lever is positioned correctly.  I had the same issue with my clutch switch, I think they’re the same.  It’s a very simple push button switch, not much to go wrong.  Although the housing can crack easily so beware of that.

Edited by Pasta Burner