IGNORED

This is what always concerns me more than a car turning in front of me.. video..

KIC

I try not to ride or drive behind a vehicle carrying a load of anything. The rider was not seriously injured. He was lucky. It looked to me like he had time to avoid the accident and just didn't react quickly enough.

It states at end that patrol was still looking for suv and they may not know what happened. That is true, but what is disturbing is the vehicles that seen what happened just keep going as it appears. Guess I shouldn't be surprised as the world is, but I am in this case.

Saw that one yesterday ... while cars turning left in front of me is at the top of the list of what scares me, this kind of thing is right behind (no pun intended).

The other close third is following someone and not seeing an obstacle in the middle of the road that they drive over ... too small or flat for a car to hit but big enough to cause ya to crash if ya hit it. Case in point... years ago I was following a motorhome and ahead of it was a folded up lawn chair laying in the middle of the road (which, of course, I couldn't see). All of a sudden, there's a lawn chair right in my path. Luckily I was far enough back, and had several years riding experience that I was able to maneuver around it. Experience is a great teacher. Unfortunately this kid in the vid didn't have any.... but he does now.

I try not to ride or drive behind a vehicle carrying a load of anything. The rider was not seriously injured. He was lucky. It looked to me like he had time to avoid the accident and just didn't react quickly enough.

According to the article he'd only been riding a couple of weeks ... not enough time to develop appropriate reactions.

I had a sheet of plywood come out of a pickup and kissed my helmet as it sailed over me as I ducked as much as possible. Chased the woman down and she couldn't understand why I was so upset. Called her hubby and I wasn't going anywhere she had got me very upset with her attitude. Hubby arrive in short time saw I was ready to fight and guy was smarter than I was. He saw scrape on my helmet heard story and told wife "Get your A** in that truck before I let him have you!!" Said he was very sorry she just wasn't too bright and had been told about that crap. Turned out he was a rider and he claimed she would not drive his truck again.

I had a sheet of plywood come out of a pickup and kissed my helmet as it sailed over me as I ducked as much as possible. Chased the woman down and she couldn't understand why I was so upset. Called her hubby and I wasn't going anywhere she had got me very upset with her attitude. Hubby arrive in short time saw I was ready to fight and guy was smarter than I was. He saw scrape on my helmet heard story and told wife "Get your A** in that truck before I let him have you!!" Said he was very sorry she just wasn't too bright and had been told about that crap. Turned out he was a rider and he claimed she would not drive his truck again.

Yammer,

Wow! That sounds scary! But I gotta ask the obvious, how close were you tailgating that truck for the plywood to be able to come out of it and go over your head?

BigLenny

Wasn't that close. 55 MPH zone if I remember. It cleared the rear of a pipe rack when it came out. I had watched it dancing in the bed for a while and really should have got away somehow. I was shocked when it hit me. It must have came back down quickly. If it had stayed low instead of getting some air under it??? Pretty good thump on the noggin.

You really don't plan for an incident like that to happen but that's why it's called an accident. We all react different in different situations and luck and timing also play a part. If M/C riding was fool proof with no thrills occasionally, I wouldn't care to ride one.:Avatars_Gee_George: