IGNORED

Yard Machine (MTD) lawn mower help

Skid

I have question concerning the deck belt & spring on a Yard Machine lawn mower. Yard Machine is made by MTD and doesn't have an idler pulley on the deck belt. My question is about the location for the spring to maintain tension on the deck. An in-law gave me mower because the drive belt was jumping off. I fixed that but there were two springs that wasn't on the mower when I got it. Doesn't anyone have one like this they can send pics of?

I got the new wheel bushing today and replaced it so the tractor in up and running. I was able to obtain the model number 13A747GF062. Built in 1997 but still don't see where the springs go exactly

Skidder,, it's entirely possible that someone added extra springs to the deck belt tensioner in a valiant attempt to hold the belt on and that is where your xtra springs came from - not an uncommon notion.. Also possible that they came from other "idler pulleys" associated with the deck belt that goes around the blade pulleys, clutch or even the drive belt that goes back to the tranny/axle. Look closely at all associated belt systems and if there was a spring attached to any of those idlers you should see a tell tale sign of such (holes or notches). Also could be that your relative had a child helping them when they last worked on it and the child was playing with the springs and just left em laying on the deck when he/she was finished helping - this has happened to many parents over the years!!:big-grin-emoticon:

There is no idler pulleys on this deck. I think it is supposed to have a brake, but the parts are missing. I'll have to wait to get a chance to see one similar to it to see for sure. Until it does work and mows good, the blades are just always spinning.