IGNORED

tires - what to get

• 2 weeks later...
Gary

When I bought my 1984 Venture it had Dunlop E2, I thought the bike ran fine. They were a bit worn so I replaced them with Kenda Kruz (yes I cheaped out) I HATED THE WAY THE BIKE RODE. I sucked it up for a few months & was SO HAPPY when I got a nail in the rear tire. I had it patched & started researching. The top 2 that came up were Metzeler & Dunlop E3. After more research I opted for the Dunlop E3 & couldn't be happier.

I would love to know what size tires are you running in the E3's? because they aren't offered in the stock 120/90-18 size for that tire. My first choice might have been the commander II's but alas, those aren't offered either.

I would love to know what size tires are you running in the E3's? because they aren't offered in the stock 120/90-18 size for that tire. My first choice might have been the commander II's but alas, those aren't offered either
Elite 3 front: MR90-18 and rear: MU90B-16

I would love to know what size tires are you running in the E3's? because they aren't offered in the stock 120/90-18 size for that tire. My first choice might have been the commander II's but alas, those aren't offered either.

I bought mine at Cycle Gear when I couldn't deal with the Kenda Kruz tires anymore. What I bout was:

Front Dunlop E3 120/90-18 or MR90 https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/-/140026/MR90-18-%2871H%29-Dunlop-Elite-3-Bias-Ply-Touring-Front-Motorcycle-Tire

Rear Dunlop E3 140/90-16 or MU90 https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/19446/Dunlop-Elite-3-Bias-Ply-Touring-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Edited by cabreco

Thanks guys! That's exactly what I needed. I bought my 83 with only 9000 miles on it about 3 years ago with Elite 2's already on it. Some guy won it on a slot machine in about 1984 and its mostly sat since... I LOVE the way it handles and I'm finding that not all the tires offered in this unique size ALSO have an adequate weight rating. Daily commuter but my wife also loves to ride with me. I now have ~20,000 miles on it and still have tread (technically). If it wasn't for winter coming, I'd go another summer on them. So with the Elite 2's having proved themselves with me, the Elite 3's are a no brainer! I just couldn't find a site that listed that size, much less with an adequate load rating! Looks like rocky mountain has good prices as well! Thanks for that Cabreco, and for the quick answer Camos! Cheers!

Looks like rocky mountain has good prices as well!
Besides price compare the cost of shipping and the application of a recycling fee. IE: Dennis Kirk adds an extra $5 charge. If I recall correctly, Rocky Mountain Power Sports has free shipping in the lower 48 and no extra fee... as is the case with most online retailers... but not all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to have quite a few miles before I need new shoes, but I'm curious about the issues folks have had with the Kenda Kruz tires. I just got my bike and it came with new (less than 50 miles) Kruz's installed front and rear.

I'm coming from a dual-sport bike this time (everything rides better than knobbies on pavement) and I have only ridden about 100 miles on the '83 VR so far, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the tires. Seems like more a than a few folks have really disliked the Kruz, just curious why?

I'm hoping to have quite a few miles before I need new shoes, but I'm curious about the issues folks have had with the Kenda Kruz tires. I just got my bike and it came with new (less than 50 miles) Kruz's installed front and rear.

I'm coming from a dual-sport bike this time (everything rides better than knobbies on pavement) and I have only ridden about 100 miles on the '83 VR so far, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the tires. Seems like more a than a few folks have really disliked the Kruz, just curious why?

If it were my scoot I would have no problem running them as long as they were rated at the load capacity I needed and were not more than a few years old. Being a lower end price tire you probably wont get the mileage out of them as you would a higher end tire (Michelin, Dunlop E3's) but I would run em till their down to the wear bars and then swap em out. Also, I always try to get the 130mph rating "H" rating cause I do like to run some higher speeds on occasion. As far as Kenda goes,, I ran em alot on my KX500 - even ran Kold Kutter ice screws in em during the winter time, and have never really had a problem with them. Now if we were talking Metzler then yea, have had some delamination issues with them.