IGNORED

Polaris opening a plant in Huntsville, Al

Eck

Heard this on the news last night. Appears They will be making several different off road models here and the 3 wheel slingshot.

Tiny north Alabama crossroads of Greenbrier is excited, wary about new Huntsville Polaris plant | AL.com

Bringing 1,700 more jobs to the Huntsville area.

Want a job at the new Polaris off-road vehicle plant in Huntsville? Here's what we know now | AL.com

I was under the impression Alabama was one of the many state who would not certify the slingshot as street legal.

State: Alabama

Operator license required

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.

Can I use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test?

No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get the required operator license.

Can the skills test be waived?

This information is not available.

Can I obtain a motorcycle learner's permit?

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS office and be riding the same day.

DMV Info: DPS Website

Here is more for EVERY state.. Slingshot Vehicle Licensing Info By State | Polaris Slingshot Forum

Thanks Eckster - interesting read..

While I am EXTREMELY excited about and happy for the folks in the surrounding area down there as 1700 good paying jobs is serious economic stuff, it concerns me that they gave away so much in incentives to get Polaris there.. Major incentives can be dangerous ground and tricky stuff is all.. Having been witness to a number of business transactions similar to this, I also have concerns for anyone on the other end of the spectrum who might be loosing their employment as a result of this move - that is never fun..

On another note,,, if I worked for Polaris and they offered me a chance to move down to Bama I would JUMP at the chance just to eat at the resturant in the article - YUMMY YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!:fatsmiley:

Thanks Eckster - interesting read..

While I am EXTREMELY excited about and happy for the folks in the surrounding area down there as 1700 good paying jobs is serious economic stuff, it concerns me that they gave away so much in incentives to get Polaris there.. Major incentives can be dangerous ground and tricky stuff is all.. Having been witness to a number of business transactions similar to this, I also have concerns for anyone on the other end of the spectrum who might be loosing their employment as a result of this move - that is never fun..

On another note,,, if I worked for Polaris and they offered me a chance to move down to Bama I would JUMP at the chance just to eat at the resturant in the article - YUMMY YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!:fatsmiley:

This area is full of aerospace and space engineers and there is going to be a huge cutback in this town shortly........... I think we have only heard part of what is going to happen here in this town at the moment.. They have to release the GOOD news first, before the bad comes.. Military cutbacks are coming soon. I am NOT posting this to get into politics folks, so lets not get started down that road please. Only posting " behind the scene" news....that will hit the TV screens soon (from what I have been told anyway).

Edited by Eck

State: Alabama

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.

No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get the required operator license.

This information is not available.

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS office and be riding the same day.

Here is more for EVERY state.. Slingshot Vehicle Licensing Info By State | Polaris Slingshot Forum

It almost does look like North Carolina doesnt allow them cause their thing is blank.... You wouldnt think they could do that,, if the Federal Government has approved the Slingshot it seems like the States would have to produce laws to allow it - the Feds pay for the roads we drive on dont they?? Folks at Polaris have gotta be :doh:,, especially if they had people in North Carolina who put money down like Larry did:confused24:

It almost does look like North Carolina doesnt allow them cause their thing is blank.... You wouldnt think they could do that,, if the Federal Government has approved the Slingshot it seems like the States would have to produce laws to allow it - the Feds pay for the roads we drive on dont they?? Folks at Polaris have gotta be :doh:,, especially if they had people in North Carolina who put money down like Larry did:confused24:

From what I understand, it all depends on how the state laws are written in your state v/s other states. Like TX... TX will not allow slingshots to be registered as a motorcycle because their laws say you have to "straddle" the saddle.You cant straddle the saddle on a slingshot..so they will not let it be registered as a motorcycle until this law has been changed/addressed..

From what I understand, it all depends on how the state laws are written in your state v/s other states. Like TX... TX will not allow slingshots to be registered as a motorcycle because their laws say you have to "straddle" the saddle.You cant straddle the saddle on a slingshot..so they will not let it be registered as a motorcycle until this law has been changed/addressed..

Hmmm,,, I thought Texas's info thingy was filled in and they accepted it as a bike.... Maybe I misread it...

State: Texas

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot or a 3-wheel motorcycle license (M3).

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get your operator license.

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS / Driver's License Div. office and be riding the same day.

State: Texas

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot or a 3-wheel motorcycle license (M3).

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get your operator license.

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS / Driver's License Div. office and be riding the same day.

Edit: Cowpuc,

I think there are two separate things being thought out here.

One is, all you "would" need is a drivers license to drive/ride a Polaris in TX... and secondly, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles has clarified its decision to keep the three-wheel Polaris Slingshot off the state’s roads. This may apply to other states as well.

According to the DMV, a three-wheel vehicle can be classified as a motorcycle in Texas under either of two definitions laid out in the state’s transportation code:

•Section 541.201(9) allows for three-wheel vehicles with saddle-style seating, other than tractors, to be titled as motorcycles.

•Section 521.001(6-a) requires that they have an enclosed compartment and feature a steering wheel, seats, seat belts, a windshield and windshield wipers that are in compliance with federal motor vehicle safety standards, plus a structure that passes a roof-crush test.

Texas explains why the Polaris Slingshot missed the mark | Fox News

Edited by Eck

4 states having trouble licensing the Slingshot, those being Texas, Indiana, Connecticut, & Maryland. Illinois just passed legislation defining an autocycle to include the Slingshots. Vermont changed their law back in July to define autocycle for 3wheelers so Slingshots could be sold there. I think a couple other states are doing the same.

BTW: No problems for out of state riders in Texas using a Slingshot

Edited by Carbon_One

I also want to add that Texas initially ok'd slingshot sales then changed their minds due to wording of their mc definitions. Getting back on Eck's original topic Polaris will be making 4 wheeler off road atv's in Alabama not Slingshots as those will still be made at the Iowa plant along with the Indian brand of cycles.

I also want to add that Texas initially ok'd slingshot sales then changed their minds due to wording of their mc definitions. Getting back on Eck's original topic Polaris will be making 4 wheeler off road atv's in Alabama not Slingshots as those will still be made at the Iowa plant along with the Indian brand of cycles.

Larry,

The local news reporter here in Huntsville said that Polaris will be making 4 wheeler off road atv's AND the slingshot here in Huntsville, and the plant will also be set up with four "other" manufacturing lines for future things to come. I only repeated what she said on TV here. She (TV reporter) could have been wrong about the slingshot being made here, not that news reporters would ever say anything incorrect or misleading on TV now would they..(yea right)).

Well Eck you can't always believe what one reads either so I could be wrong too. Wouldn't be the first or last time ya know. LOL Regardless Huntsville and Alabama scored another good win drawing in another big company. Remington is moving or has moved their operations there too from what I've read recently. Good news for the economy in your area for sure.

Larry

Well Eck you can't always believe what one reads either so I could be wrong too. Wouldn't be the first or last time ya know. LOL Regardless Huntsville and Alabama scored another good win drawing in another big company. Remington is moving or has moved their operations there too from what I've read recently. Good news for the economy in your area for sure.

Larry

Remingtons new Huntsville plant is expected to open in 2016. The move is expected to bring more than 2,000 jobs to the Rocket City within the next 10 years.

Remington will now be the third-largest private employer in Madison County.