IGNORED

Burnt rubber smell two up

keithert

Tonight my wife and I rode the bike about 10 miles. On the way home I smelled a burning rubber smell when I slowed down. I stopped at a gas station and the rear tire was hot. Together we weigh 450 pounds. The rear shock had 20 lbs of air in it. Can the shock having low pressure cause the tire to rub against the fender when heavily loaded? The tire had 40 lbs of pressure in it so it wasn't under inflated. I put the pressure up to 32 (my progressive pump only goes to 30) and rode 1 mile home from the gas station. I didn't smell the burning rubber again. The bike only has 5600 miles on it. It is an 07 RSTD.

This morning I looked the swingarm and tire over for marks. Didn't find any on either. I then took the bike for a solo ride and it was fine. I stopped occasionally to put my hand on the tires to check the temperature. The rear was slightly warmer than the front but not excessively so. My question is has anyone ever seen where too little pressure in the shock could lead to rubbing? When I had my Venture I paid very little attention to the air in the shocks. We did weigh about 40 pounds less then though.

My wife and I outweigh you by a considerable amount and even with no air in the shock have never experienced what you have and with no marks on the tires or fender I would check over wiring to make sure it was not burnt wires,I have had that happen before due to a PO mod.

I second the check over for wires and such...

always look at anything that did not come from momma Yamaha stock outta the box.

any added farkles , lights, chrome accessories, even if they are from Yamaha.

does it have a trailer hitch or added wire harness??:detective:

The bike is almost completely stock. The mods are that I removed the windshield and put on a handlebar mounted mini-shield. Also yesterday I put on a Utopia backrest. I'll look but I don't think there are any wires right under the seat frame.

Keith,

Here is my 2 cents on what I think the cause is...

Inside the rear hub the hub pins fit inside rubber boots. If these are dry there would be nothing but friction between the hub pins and these rubber boots. Friction generates heat and eventually you will smell rubber and the wheel will feel very warm to hot depending on how much friction there is.

I personally would remove the rear wheel and lube the drive shaft and hub pins just for insurance that this possible culprit is put to bed.

Here is the link for how to instructions: Feel free to give me a call if you need to be walked thru any part of this. My phone number is on my profile page.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

Make sure you include these instructions contained in this link during reassembly:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1705

Also:

Before you reinstall the wheel...

While the rear wheel is off you have total visual access to look up under the fender for any wear marks caused by the tire rubbing.

While the rear wheel is off, take a minute and look at the bottom portion of your rear shock. Using your fingers, pull up the rubber boot that is around the bottom of the rear shock and look for signs of dampness / oil. Being an 05 model I would also think your rear shock would be leaking by now if it has never been replaced....(A common problem on 2nd gen Ventures).

Another possible cause:

On right and left hand sides of bike (facing forward), look at the exhaust pipe closest to the passenger footboards. See if you notice if anything melted on this pipe... like the leg of your pants or your passengers shoe / boot, or a loose piece of clothing that may have been touching the exhaust pipe.

I would be glad to look it over for you, if you wish?

would also like to buy your stock windshield if you have it to sell?

I'm keeping the stock shield for cooler weather. I like to run a mini-shield in the summer.

Eck, thanks for the tips!

Keith, You say you mounted up the Utopia backrest. Are you sure possibly the bolts are not to long? Also on the shoe boot thing, my wife melted her heel of a pair of boots on mine on the Vulcan and never knew it until she got off and was walking wobbly.

Yeah with my wife and I on my Venture, we weigh right at 490 (yeah I am a big tall fatty!) We have never had a problem. Pirelli up front at 40 and Shinko in rear at 40. Shock is a Hagon HD so no air. Bike actually rides better with both of us on it.

Keith, You say you mounted up the Utopia backrest. Are you sure possibly the bolts are not to long? Also on the shoe boot thing, my wife melted her heel of a pair of boots on mine on the Vulcan and never knew it until she got off and was walking wobbly.

I checked the backrest mount and there is nothing behind where the bolts mount. Also the bolts aren't too long. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've been riding the bike solo and with my 80 pound son. No issues since the other night. Maybe tonight we'll load up and try it again.