IGNORED

Odd electrical problem.

darthandy

OK, here's an odd problem on my RSV. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my clock had been reset. I thought I may have pressed the buttons the wrong way when scrolling through the trip meter, so I forgot about it. Went to use it today and noticed that it showed the odometer instead of my trip meter, so I selected the trip meter and, lo and behold, both of them were at 0 KM (They were at 91 KM when I turned it off yesterday) and the clock had been reset. I didn't have the battery tender on so nothing has touched the bike. Anybody ever have this problem before?

Andy

My trip 2 reset itself. I reset it when I changed oil and was using it to track the milage. After a month or so I was going thru the milages and I noticed it was like 240 or something. I knew that wasnt right as I had run like 5 or more tanks of fuel.

Mine has done this a number of times. I noticed that when I start the RSV and release the start button too soon and it does not start it will reset all trip odometers and show the MC odometer. This has been doing since I have owned it. No problems so far.

My trip 2 reset itself. I reset it when I changed oil and was using it to track the milage. After a month or so I was going thru the milages and I noticed it was like 240 or something. I knew that wasnt right as I had run like 5 or more tanks of fuel.

The trip meters only go to 1000 and then turn over.

RR

Well Muffinman, the battery connections are clean and tight. As for the battery, it is just over a year old and was on a battery tender over the previous winter. It seems that if there was a fault in the construction allowing a loose plate, it would have shown up in the first few months, although I could be wrong there. The ignition switch was damaged by overheating last year before I realized I should have some relays installed. I removed it, cleaned and sanded the electrodes and used Plastex to glue the small crack that developed in the "plate" holding the electrodes due to the over-expansion of the heated metal electrodes. I'd like to think (Wish?) that it is OK since I did put the headlight, driving lights and ignition on relays after that and the key gets warm but not hot now.

67mini67, I did have a slight starting problem the other day, as it was colder than I thought and I didn't use enough choke. The bike didn't start on the first try and then stalled after the next try (Still not enough choke). This sounds like what happened to you. I think I may do a bit of experimenting to see if that is the cause as I would prefer to avoid the incredible fun of removing the ignition switch again.

Thanks all.

Andy

My '04 did that a couple of times, but only when the temp was cold and the bike had sat for a few days. I guess if there is enough of a voltage drop when it's cold then they reset, mine even lost the radio presets once.

Might be related. When I rode my RSV last weekend (45-50 degrees), I had no speedometer, fuel gauge and trip meter. It was a short ride of maybe 8 miles. Once I got home, I turned the key off and back on and now everything worked. I just figured things were cold? :confused24:

The bike either lost voltage (battery very low and dropped to nil when trying to start it or bad connections), or you have a blown backup fuse.

Goose

Hmmm...hadn't thought about the backup fuse. I went out and checked and everything is still OK so I don't think it's that. The bike spun over nicely yesterday so the battery voltage seemed to be OK as well. I'm going to try a start experiment tomorrow to see if I can recreate the problem.

Andy

I guess I need to check my backup fuse circuit too. Every time I push the reverse button on the left side the backup alarm sounds but nothing else happens.:confused24: :rotf:

I do use the two trip odometers fairly regularly though, one for gas stops and the other for total miles in a day. Just one of my many "quirks" I guess.

djh3, c'mom, ya'll gotta give the cassette thing a rest, at least there were still a few around when my '99 came out.