IGNORED

Barn find RSV MM not running on all 4 cylinders

9Grenzen

:fingers-crossed-emoI have a (Barn find) 2000 RSV MM only 10k mile on it. Last month when I first got it a ran a can a sea foam as recommended but I always thought is ran a little ruff. But with past BMW experience most bike runs a little ruff. Well after some late night reading someone here said that they run surprisingly good on only 3 cylinders. Well, mine does. After starting it and running it for 30 seconds my left rear (#1) cylinder exhaust pipe is still cold. I pulled the plug and it looks oily and not firing, all the rest look great. I stuck the removed plug in the wire and cranked it and it has spark. I checked the compression and its fine. I suspect a plugged carb? When I pulled the gas tank I also noticed that the Carb for the cylinder that is not running has a nice coating of Oil/Gas seepage crust. I ask you, What would the guru’s do next?

Where is the oil seepage/crust?. If you fill the oil much more than half way full the left rear cylinder is where the overflow likes to blow out and congregate. Sounds to me as though the bike was overfilled and that's why the crust is there.

I believe you're on the right track with a plugged pilot jet. After having set as long as it did I'm surprised that only 1 would be clogged. If they're partially clogged then you've got a chance with seafoam or 44K. If it's completely plugged neither of them will work any magic.

Me, I'd bite the bullet and remove the carbs, clean the jets, make sure the floats are set and then give it a go.

But that's just me and my :2cents:

Chances are with that little mileage and age it sat around for a long time and the carbs will need a complete rebuild. Yes, first try new plugs but I'm betting you're in for a rebuild...

You may also want to check the CDI (under the driver seat in front of the battery) for corroded contacts.

Thank you all for your help. On level ground the oil level is WAY to high. (he told me he changed the oil just before he put it up for sale). So that explains the carb crust. could that much oil foul out that cylinder? But after only being riddin about 1k miles a year I guess I pull the carbs and take a peek anyway.

I found out years ago that a spark plug that shows spark after being removed from the engine doesn't always fire when installed and is under a compression load. Your problem is probably carburetion, but you should install a new set of plugs anyway.

My MM sat for one year in a barn also (5K on it).. shine a flashlight down into the tank

and I hope it isn't full of rust like mine was. also, the tank gas float sender was toast

from the rust as well.

This is what mine looked like. also see check out the filter :rolleyes:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=524

Jeff

LETS SEE PICS PLEASE !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Again… Many thanks to all of you for your help. I pulled the carbs, Float bowls looks real clean. The pilot jet was plugged. Thank godthats all it was!... I saw the pics of Cougars and was really stressin bout that. Tank looks good too. I did re-adjust the floats as per goose and they were all WAY OFF just like his… Put it all back to gether installed new plugs… and… all I can say is HOLLY CRAP this puppy runs GOOOOOOD ! Better then it ever did.:cool10: