IGNORED

Stepping back in time

Carbon_One

Today I picked up DenDen's 83 Standard. Some folks here know how well he took care of this bike. He wanted to part ways with the bike since he no longer rides so he made me a deal I couldn't refuse. There's some work to be done of course since it hasn't been on the road in about 4 years. maybe more, but that bike is sure in very good shape for a 29 year old. There's no broken plastic except for one tab on a side panel which should be easy to fix since the tab is there. Mechanically I'll need to fix a water leak somewhere below the radiator, rebuild the forks, & either rebuild the rear master cylinder or replace it, & replace a 8 year old battery. As far as I know at this point those are the things needing attention. Got a few extra parts he tossed in as well. :cool10:

I don't expect to put it on the road till spring so during the next few months & winter I'll be going over this bike bringing the old girl back to pristine condition once again. :thumbsup2:

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

You got a good one. And DenDen has a ton of 1st Gen info he isn't stingy with. He helped me a lot when I first started with these things.

Yep that is a fact for sure. Was already picking his brain a bit when we were going over the bike before loading it on the trailer.

Larry

Thats one of the best examples of how a 1st gen should perform. I know Dennis tweaked it perfect and it was one of the scary fast ones, it ran that good. Been thinking about Vicki and him for some time now. Glad to see there still about and kicking, hopefully still enjoying that Miata they bough a few years back. if you see him again, tell him we say howdy from Texas

:thumbsup2:

Boy after doing some reading and really looking at all the info on these 1st gens I can see it's going to take a while to wad thru and soak up all the info on these bikes. Good thing we have all of the 1st gens here to bail me out when needed.

Oh yea when I do finally get it road worthy I thought of putting on antique or collector plates. But Michigan is too restrictive in when you can drive with those plates so I need to come up with a cool 5 letter /number personal plate name.

Larry

How about CRBN1?

Yes, DenDen is a great guy and Vicki is a sweetheart. The first I met them was at the Country Inn north of Knoxville during the Honda Hoot. I was there meeting the Venturers group. They took me under their arm and I spent the whole day with them. When they were in my area and had the crash in Boone, NC, I was able to go there and help them get the motorcycle out of storage and just try to help. That was where his riding ended.

When I told him about my plans to put a 2nd gen trans in a 1st gen engine, he gave me a V-Max rearend and would not even let me pay him for the shipping. They are really great people and I wish he was still active on this site.

RandyA